Things to do. . .

SiCoSiCo EnglandPosts: 1,371M
This is a reference list of current projects on the site. If an idea you would like to see on the site is not listed please post a new topic detailing it. This list is purely so I remember what I am doing and what people want ;)

1) Autographs Section - 95% Complete
2) Autographs Stage 2
3) PM's to multiple recipients
4) Formatting code rewrite - [esc]
[/esc]
4 a) Fix quote code formatting.
5) Polls in topics - 50% Complete
6) Guest Forum - Ask the Experts (sort of!) - 30% Complete
7) Rewrite news and seperate News and Quick News to make it easier to use.
8) Member cleanup - Notification and account removal.
9) Alter Profiles - more space for Fav Film / Bond.
10) User selectable time zone applied throughout the site.
11) Redirect posters to their post after posting, display post and navigational options instead of reditrect.
12) Automaitcally scroll to the bottom posts / link to the latest post.
13) Archive

If i've missed anything let me know. . . but please post all new ideas in new topics.
Simon

Comments

• one night standone night stand Posts: 127MI6 Agent
    edited August 2004
    We talked about notifiying those one time posters that they are still members and after a while getting rid of them.

Edit: Or is that what the guest forum is for?
  • SiCoSiCo EnglandPosts: 1,371M
    Good point thanks. The guest forum is an idea byt The Cat.

I get a lot of email which would better be answered by members of the forums. However I know some people don't like to sign up. And sometimes this leads to one time posters (as you mentioned). Therefore this forum would work like an email Inbox.

Visitors would submit a question which would be moderated (to prevent spam) members would then reply and the original poster could also reply to further the discussion.

However as the 'guest' would not need to register all their posts would have to be moderated. So to them it would be just like sending an email but they would have the benefit of a group of answers rather than one.
    Simon
  • tirpitztirpitz Posts: 339MI6 Agent
    Si, what's the autograph section? It's slightly puzzling to me.
  • Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,698MI6 Agent
    Hey Si, be this might be a bit morbid, how about a In Rememberence thread. This will be for all the great actors and actoresses who have played a small or big role in Bond films that have passed away. This way we could all pay tribute to the past.
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
  • XeniaXenia 2nd star to the right, straighPosts: 28MI6 Agent
    Archives Forum, so we can read all the threads from the former DAD forum.
  • The Sly FoxThe Sly Fox USAPosts: 467MI6 Agent
    edited August 2004
    Quoting Mr Martini:
    Hey Si, be this might be a bit morbid, how about a In Rememberence thread. This will be for all the great actors and actoresses who have played a small or big role in Bond films that have passed away. This way we could all pay tribute to the past.
    Quoting Xenia:
    Archives Forum, so we can read all the threads from the former DAD forum.
    All these are good ideas, but didn't Si just say that all new ideas should be posted in new topics? ;) Or have these already been mentioned? Please correct me if I am wrong. :)

By the way, I don't think an Archives forum of the old Die Another Day forum would work, as I believe that when all the DAD threads were deleted, they were probably permanently deleted to conserve server space (and possibly to save some money on the server space ;) ). But I'm not sure about this. Si will have to answer this.
    The DAD posts never got very far the forum still exists it's just disabled so all the posts are intact. I need to move them about and distirbute them.

As for everything else, the Autograph section is a place for collectors to share addresses for the stars autographs. Nothing complicated but it should have quite a following if the memorabilia forum is anything to go by.

I am unsure about the rememberance topic, I think you may be right in saying it's a bit morbid. The characters section will have the details but thats quite far behind.
    Simon
    Yep I did get the photos thanks - just limited time!

As for additional things I do need details but theres no real way for you to make the changes so I need to do that first.

I am not sure about mini biogs as they would need constant updating really. Or they could be mini biogs upto and including Bond. I had never thought of doing them before!
    Simon
  • Jedi MasterJedi Master UKPosts: 1,093MI6 Agent
    Any updates to give us on things like progress Si? Or have you done that already!? Oh and what is the relevance of the projects in bold!?
    Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice and everyone dies.
  • SPECTRENumber1SPECTRENumber1 L.O.Posts: 75MI6 Agent
    Does that "Alter Profile" thing include Favorite Bond Book?
    Bold ones are just ones I am doing at the moment.

As for progress there isn't a lot. I have not had much time at the PC.

The list is primarily for my benefit and for others to suggest new ideas without duplicating them.
    Simon
    Kewl, well I'm afraid saying good luck is the best I can do to help you! (My middle name is Computer-illiterate!)
  • Tilly Masterson 007Tilly Masterson 007 UKPosts: 1,473MI6 Agent
    edited May 2005
    When is the autograph section complete?

It sounds good though!
  • 007_nich007_nich Posts: 24MI6 Agent
    It would be kind of nice if there were new images for the topic types and emoticons. It wouldn't be near the top of the list, but it would be nice to have.
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    Quoting DFXX:
    I know all the suggestions are just impreding your progress SiCo, but perhaps having an award for best topic or something :D.

I know it would need a lot of consideration, but in each forum, it'd only need a star on the little folder icon :); it could just be the topic that's recieved most posts that day ... if you can make your computer do that, I dunno.

I can see it now: Friend #1 starts an innocuous thread, and Friend #2 responds. Then #1 responds to that response. And #2 responds to the response to the response. And whadda ya know--suddenly that thread is the most popular topic of the day!! I like our flames on the topics that have received more than 10 (or is it 15 or 20?) responses--that pretty well indicates what's popular.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • tirpitztirpitz Posts: 339MI6 Agent
    You know, it's not exactly a page, but there was a topic about AJB history. Here's the link-

http://www.ajb007.co.uk/index.php?topic=20174
  • DAWUSSDAWUSS My homepagePosts: 517MI6 Agent
    what about the return of the funhouse?
  • DAWUSSDAWUSS My homepagePosts: 517MI6 Agent
    How long has it been gone now, anyway? It's been around a year hasn't it?
    No it hasn't been that long, only recently if I remember rightly.
    Simon
  • 007_nich007_nich Posts: 24MI6 Agent
    I can't find the topic that this was originally in, so I'll post it here. For the popular topics, it should be made so that only topics that have had replies in the last year are there.
    Yes and no, it could maybe be renamed but the idea is to show visitors that there is a wealth of information on the site just a click away. Limiting it may hinder this slightly.

That's if anyone even uses them.
    Simon
  • AlecsCradleAlecsCradle Posts: 14MI6 Agent
    I'm kind of wondering what you still have to do on your list. And I'm wondering what new things you have added on it.
    On the idea of an award for "best topic", I think judging it by simple number of posts would be a bad idea because it would be the 'one word answer' topics which would always win. However, perhaps you could 'rate' topics, by selecting a number of stars out of five. Not necessarily for competitive purposes, but just so that the average can be displayed on the thread's icon.

I understand that this could lead to people being offended when their topics didn't get a good rating or people voting many times when they really like a topic, but I still think it would work as most people on the site are trustworthy enough not to vote loads of times.
    On the idea of an award for "best topic", I think judging it by simple number of posts would be a bad idea because it would be the 'one word answer' topics which would always win. However, perhaps you could 'rate' topics, by selecting a number of stars out of five. Not necessarily for competitive purposes, but just so that the average can be displayed on the thread's icon.

I understand that this could lead to people being offended when their topics didn't get a good rating or people voting many times when they really like a topic, but I still think it would work as most people on the site are trustworthy enough not to vote loads of times.

I post on another board that has a one to five star thread rating system. For one, it's hardly used, two, if you do vote on a topic you can only vote once. It's just the way the system is setup.
    It's an interesting idea but I don't think it would be used. Or it would be abused at the least.

I quite like the idea of displaying top rated topics to show new comers what may be some very interesting topics. A kind of way to bring older content to them as it would display jsut top rated topics.

I will consider it. But I don't want it to get personal that's not worth it.
    Simon
  • ridgebackzridgebackz Posts: 1MI6 Agent
    I have a suggestion... A section on how to Post in this web site...
    I am new and can't seem to find anywhere to go to explain to me how to post a new topic.

Thanks
    edited December 2005
    Welcome to the boards ridgebackz. Starting a new topic is easy, first may I suggest using the search feature, this is to make sure your not starting a new topic that already exists, the mods will close it if it's a duplicate topic.
    To start a new topic, go into the correct sub-forum. In the upper right corner of the screen you should see your log in name and any messages you may have etc..... look under that in the black area. You should see 4 orange dots, that's your new topic starter, press it. It'll take you to a page to start your topic. When your done writting the title and what the topic is about press the post topic button under your white writting box. Hope this helps. Good luck!
    It's a good idea and I will add this to the FAQ for people. Hopefully future developments will make the site easier to use, especially for our new members.
    Simon
    Just curious SiCo if it's possible to have the quick jump feature at the bottom right of each page jump to the page selected without having to press the visit button?
    Yes and no - it's technically possible but it requires people have Javascript turned on to use it.

If I had it, and keep the button it may end up confusing people. It can also be annoying if you select the wrong option and it jumps automatically before you can change it.

Having said all that I will look into doing it and see if it's practical.
    Simon