Your Opinion of Best Bond FILM

SPECTRENumber1SPECTRENumber1 L.O.Posts: 75MI6 Agent
edited September 2005 in The James Bond Films
I think this topic would go here, and mods, before you think of closing this, it isn't what you think.

What do you guys think is the best Bond film? As in the Bond movie that has the best camera angles, editing, cinematography, music, style, etc. I would have to go with On Her Majesty's Secret Service. The cinematography is excellent, from the beaches of France to the Swiss Alps to the creepy brainwashing scene. The editing is excellent as well, considering Peter Hunt was an editor. The music is, IMO, the second Best bond music, with Thunderball a close first. Everything about OHMSS makes this more than the best Bond film, but also an excellent film itself.

Comments

• Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,239MI6 Agent
    I tend to agree. It's a classy looking production. But for me, OHMSS lacks the sheer trash appeal that ironically makes the Bond series a guilty pleasure. It takes itself just a bit too seriously, tho of course Bond fans like that.

OHMSS stands up very well against films like Where Eagles Dare, around the same time. But it has a slightly heavy style more in common with other WW2 adventures like Operation Crossbow or The Heroes of Telemark or The Guns of Naverone. None of these are sexy movies and neither is OHMSS imo, despite or the rather sordid sex stuff in Piz Gloria.

As all-round movies I'd have to say FRWL and GF stand the test of time very very well. Of Moore's I'd say TSWLM ticks the right boxes but personally I don't like it as much as MR, which of course can't really be taken seriously, despite a largely superior score and lovely cinematography. I'm afraid only TWINE of Brosnan's films even works as a movie for me, but I accept that comparing Dalton's TLD with an action movie of the same era rather than a Bond film may do it favours. Still, too much relying on past glories and being boxed into new plots and obscure locations means that new films don't have the same opps.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    I would say Goldfinger. Not only is it my favorite Bond film, it's also a brilliant film. Technically, it' amost perfect (the score, direction, production design). After that would come FRWL, Thunderball, OHMSS and TSWLM.
    OHMSS was good, but it wasn' as polished as Goldfinger. Among the Moores, TSWLM was the best.
    Sorry, Napoleon Plural, I don't agree that Moonraker is even remotely as good as TSWLM in any way. Dalton's two efforts were both okay (with LTK the superior) but if one were to compare them to action films of the day, they would be middle-of-the-road. Among Brosnan's the best is Goldeneye, which is superior to most action/spy films.

Napoleon Plural, I do like Bond films to take themselves seriously, but I found that OHMSS didn't take itself nearly as seriously as the Dalton films, which took themselves too seriously.
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
    Dan Same wrote:
    Sorry, Napoleon Plural, I don't agree that Moonraker is even remotely as good as TSWLM in any way. Dalton's two efforts were both okay (with LTK the superior) but if one were to compare them to action films of the day, they would be middle-of-the-road.

Well I can't argue that MR is better than TSWLM, it's just a personal thing. Elements are better, but it's like when you know one girl is better looking than the other objectively, you just fancy the other one more.

Of course compared to Lethal Weapon, The Untouchables and Die Hard, TLD and LTK were very lacklustre. I don't know, I guess I was thinking of Steven Seagal films to compare it with. The Bond films still had some exotic touches that lifted it above your usual B movie stuff. TLD hasn't dated so badly, despite the Cold War history stuff that places it in the past.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Elements are better, but it's like when you know one girl is better looking than the other objectively, you just fancy the other one more.

Well, I still don't agree unless the objectively better looking girl is TSWLM. Not only do I much prefer it, but I genuinely believe that it is an objectively superior film (as objectively as one can get).
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • General_OurumovGeneral_Ourumov United KingdomPosts: 861MI6 Agent
    The generally most well-made film in the series? One answer for me, without a second thought;

From Russia With Love
  • Moore Not LessMoore Not Less Posts: 1,095MI6 Agent
    For me, Goldfinger is the film that defined the cinematic James Bond. It was the first film that brought together all the classic Bond elements that we know and love. The only film to bring all these elements together and improve on them is The Spy Who Loved Me, in my opinion. Yes, other Bond films may indeed have better villains or better Bond girls etc, but they don't combine all the elements aswell as TSWLM.
  • Andy A 007Andy A 007 Posts: 199MI6 Agent
    For me, the best Bond film is the one that is most different from all the other's. It is the one that captures the true spirit of Ian Fleming:

LICENCE TO KILL!
  • Krassno GranitskiKrassno Granitski USAPosts: 896MI6 Agent
    Andy A 007 wrote:
    For me, the best Bond film is the one that is most different from all the other's. It is the one that captures the true spirit of Ian Fleming:

LICENCE TO KILL!
    Have to disagree here both OHMSS and FRWL are almost exactly what Flemming wrote in "his" novels. Therefore......

Anyway On Her Majesty's Secret Service is the best film in every way possible. With the exception of best Bond which would go to Mr. Connery.(Don't think Connery could have pulled off On Her Majesty's Secret Servicer though)
    edited September 2005
    Andy A 007 wrote:

LICENCE TO KILL!
    Have to disagree here both OHMSS and FRWL are almost exactly what Flemming wrote in "his" novels. Therefore......

Anyway On Her Majesty's Secret Service is the best film in every way possible. With the exception of best Bond which would go to Mr. Connery.(Don't think Connery could have pulled off On Her Majesty's Secret Servicer though)

While OHMSS may be the best of the Bond films that are closest to a Fleming novel, from a cinematic point of view, Goldfinger is the best of the films full stop. It's acting, screenplay, direction, production values and music are the best in the series.

(I would also argue that Connery could do OHMSS)
    Dan Same wrote:
    Elements are better, but it's like when you know one girl is better looking than the other objectively, you just fancy the other one more.

Well, I still don't agree unless the objectively better looking girl is TSWLM. Not only do I much prefer it, but I genuinely believe that it is an objectively superior film (as objectively as one can get).

That's what I meant. Better song (Nobody Does It Better, better pts stunt, more menacing Jaws and snazzy car and no double-taking pidgeon...) Objectively TSWLM is the better film. For some reason it leaves me a bit cold.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Dan Same wrote:
    Andy A 007 wrote:

LICENCE TO KILL!

Anyway On Her Majesty's Secret Service is the best film in every way possible. With the exception of best Bond which would go to Mr. Connery.(Don't think Connery could have pulled off On Her Majesty's Secret Service though)

While OHMSS may be the best of the Bond films that are closest to a Fleming novel, from a cinematic point of view, Goldfinger is the best of the films full stop. It's acting, screenplay, direction, production values and music are the best in the series.

(I would also argue that Connery could do OHMSS)
    Nope From Russia With love would be better as well(Than Goldfinger). Maybe the Connery of DR.NO, Russia With love or Goldfinger might have pulled it off the Connery of YOLT and DAF? forget about it.
    edited September 2005
    Nope From Russia With love would be better as well(Than Goldfinger). Maybe the Connery of DR.NO, Russia With love or Goldfinger might have pulled it off the Connery of YOLT and DAF? forget about it.
    FRWL was brilliant. But it was NOT as good as Goldfinger. And yes, Connery, in any film, could have been in OHMSS.
  • NightshooterNightshooter In bed with SolitairePosts: 2,917MI6 Agent
    Meh. I like FRWL better.

My vote goes to OHMSS. The cinematography is beautiful. The theme song is fantastic, even though it isn't really a theme song. We Have All the Time in the World is great, too.

I like Lazenby, I admit it.
    Dan Same wrote:
    FRWL was brilliant. But it was NOT as good as Goldfinger. And yes, Connery, in any film, could have been in OHMSS.
    Sure it was better, even Dr.NO is better than Goldfinger. On Her Majesty's Secret Service is excellent because Connery was not in it.
    Sure it was better, even Dr.NO is better than Goldfinger. On Her Majesty's Secret Service is excellent because Connery was not in it.
    No, it wasn't. Goldfinger was the greatest Bond film of all time and the best on a purely cinematic level. Dr. No and FRWL were fantastic but were nowhere near as good as Goldfinger. OHMSS suffered purely because Connery was NOT in it.

Anyway, why don't you give me a reason (as I did in a previous post) as to why all these films are better than Goldinger, instead of just restating your opinion as if it was a fact, when it is anything but a fact?
    Dan Same wrote:
    No, it wasn't.
    Reason?
    Goldfinger was the greatest Bond film of all time and the best on a purely cinematic level.
    Opinion
    Dr. No and FRWL were fantastic but were nowhere near as good as Goldfinger.
    Opinion
    OHMSS suffered purely because Connery was NOT in it.
    See I believe if Connery was in it every one involved in the film would have been on auto pilot, you know not trying hard because they had Connery. Hell they might have thrown out the story, kept tracy alive.... I use the two films that sandwich OHMSS as examples, horrible films especially DAF
    Anyway, why don't you give me a reason (as I did in a previous post)"While OHMSS may be the best of the Bond films that are closest to a Fleming novel, from a cinematic point of view, Goldfinger is the best of the films full stop. It's acting, screenplay, direction, production values and music are the best in the series".
    All your opinions as well. I would disagree. But I have no facts to back it up but then again neither do you.
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    Krassno Granitski and Dan Same, let's not argue. Usually "Best Bond Film" is closed due to the fact that it's second in frequency only to the dreaded "Best Bond" topic, so lets not turn this into "Is not!" "Is so!"

You know discussing this is purely subjective opinion. Let's try and share our reasons for the Best film without shooting at each other. Thanks

Anyway, enough with the unpleasantries. In my opinion, the first four 007 adventures translated to film, simply are impossible to surpass. In regards to originality and independency they are, (for myself) truly the "best Bond film s .
    Dan Same wrote:
    No, it wasn't.
    Reason?
    Goldfinger was the greatest Bond film of all time and the best on a purely cinematic level.
    Opinion
    Opinion
    See I believe if Connery was in it every one involved in the film would have been on auto pilot, you know not trying hard because they had Connery. Hell they might have thrown out the story, kept tracy alive.... I use the two films that sandwich OHMSS as examples, horrible films especially DAF
    Anyway, why don't you give me a reason (as I did in a previous post)"While OHMSS may be the best of the Bond films that are closest to a Fleming novel, from a cinematic point of view, Goldfinger is the best of the films full stop. It's acting, screenplay, direction, production values and music are the best in the series".
    All your opinions as well. I would disagree. But I have no facts to back it up but then again neither do you.

Do you ever read other peoples' posts? If you had (which I doubt) you would have noted that my reasons for Goldfinger being the best were the superiority (in my opinion) of its acting, screenplay, direction, production values and music. I have never once pretended that my opinions were facts. I just (unlike you) didn't simply make statements as if they were facts without backing them up. You are still yet to provide a single reason as to why so Dr. No, FRWL and OHMSS were superior to Goldfinger.

Finally, I disagree that YOLT and DAF are terrible. I have YOLT at 5th on my all-time list, while DAF is at 11th. (OHMSS is at 9th.) There is no reason to believe that if Connery had been in OHMSS (and I wish he had), the screenplay would have been compromised in any way.
  • Donald GrantDonald Grant U.S.A.Posts: 2,241Quartermasters
    edited September 2005
    I'm sorry, but I agree with Alex. The idea of the best Bond film is quite subjective. There are those who believe that Goldfinger was the best film because it had all the elements. Others, including Connery, believe that FRWL was the best because it was a taught spy thriller devoid, for the most part, of all the gadgets. For me, the first four Bond films are the best of the series. However, OHMSS is definitely in the top five and remains one of my favorite Bond films even over YOLT and DAF. To me, trying to pick the best Bond film is like trying to decide which of your children you love the most. You can't, you love them all.

DG
    So, what sharp little eyes you've got...wait till you get to my teeth.
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    "People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." Richard Grenier after George Orwell, Washington Times 1993.
  • Willie GarvinWillie Garvin Posts: 1,412MI6 Agent
    edited September 2006
    I agree with Alex and Donald Grant.The selection of the "best" film among any of these 20 movies is entirely subjective and based solely upon one's individual likes and dislikes.There's really no right or wrong answer because we're talking about personal opinions.

In my opinion, the finest films in the series are the first four films Eon made.They have the luxury of being based upon some of Ian Fleming's best novels, and while similar in style and presentation, each of them is different thematically.For example,Dr.No is the updated Sax Rohmer-influenced mad scientist movie.From Russia With Love is the suspense thriller.Goldfinger is the 'caper' movie and Thunderball is the epic.Almost every James Bond film that followed these four movies owes something to them in their style, their content and their tone.

From among the original four movies, I like From Russia With Love best.The book was Fleming's own personal favorite from among his many novels and it's adapted fairly closely to the screen.My second favorite is Thunderball-as with FRWL, the plot is relatively believable and 007 has yet to become a superhuman character.Goldfinger is fantastic and fun and so is Dr.No(although I wish the doctor didn't have a rocketship in the corner of his hideout).I also have a high regard for OHMSS,and while I certainly respect what George Lazenby did, would much rather have seen Connery in it (and also seen a considerably closer and thus better adaptation of You Only Live Twice--OHMSS's literary sequel, follow,and again with Connery,as opposed to the overly fantastic version of YOLT Eon cranked out).

I've always liked Roger Moore-he was a unique 007, and appeared in every kind of Bond film for Eon-- from the outrageous to the serious.IMO his best Bond film is For Your Eyes Only. And I was greatly impressed by Timothy Dalton's performances in both of his motion pictures-especially Licence to Kill, but not quite as much with Pierce Brosnan--but that's less a judgment of him as an actor and more because all of his movies are revenge stories.The World Is Not Enough
    is my favorite from among Brosnan's films.
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,988Quartermasters
    Well said as always, Mr. Garvin. My vote remains for FRWL.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • pikepike Posts: 2MI6 Agent
    i would go for Licence to Kill as it is the closest to the spirit of the novels. Timothy Dalton is my favourite Bond and he was great in both his films. not sure which is the best technically but i loved the look of Tomorrow Never Dies, very gleaming and expensive (plus the heavenly Michelle Yeogh!).
  • SPECTRENumber1SPECTRENumber1 L.O.Posts: 75MI6 Agent
    Dan Same wrote:
    No, it wasn't.
    Reason?
    Opinion
    Opinion

No fighting guys. :)
    Well, let it never be said that us Bondians aren't spirited. :007)
  • Willie GarvinWillie Garvin Posts: 1,412MI6 Agent
    Exactly.Let's not fight.We'll simply disagree agreeably.:)
  • SalvagebeastSalvagebeast Posts: 2MI6 Agent
    It's all Dan Same's fault. ;)
    And here, since I am a Connery man, is where I split hairs...

I make Goldfinger as the MOST IMPORTANT Bond film...though you may in fact be right, because it does represent the final unification of the various elements that make Bond work. Somebody wise once said (many will no doubt take credit), "They've been trying to remake Goldfinger ever since."
  • Bullitt68Bullitt68 Posts: 7MI6 Agent
    I've read that some people call the first three films the "Golden Trilogy." I agree with that. IMO they're in a class by themselves, although OHMSS might be the next closest one to them.

My question is, how much worse are TB & YOLT compared to the first 3? Also,is either one of these films clearly superior to the other? IMO, TB is a little better than YOLT but not quite good enough to change the "golden trilogy" into the "fantastic four."
  • irishirish Posts: 1MI6 Agent
    Dan Same wrote:
    I would say Goldfinger

Roger Ebert's favorite as well.
  • NightshooterNightshooter In bed with SolitairePosts: 2,917MI6 Agent
    Oh, come on, Prof. Joe was hilarious! Especially with Pam. And if it weren't for him you would've seen less of her legs. :D