Famous Bond Fans

Just seen the link to David Walliams's ITV doc on Bond. never really liked him. there should be someone around who could do a better job presenting a programme like this.

charlie higson, jfk, kingsley amis...famous bond fans are a pretty mixed bunch...sure i've missed a few...what other well known fans are there?

Comments

• delon64delon64 RiyadhPosts: 176MI6 Agent
    i know two low rent celebs who are fans and collectors...one is ian kelsey from emmerdale and casualty...the other is that naff presenter from the eighties ross king...i cant be sure but i think i once outbid him on an octopussy costume hahaha
  • wordswords Buckinghamshire, EnglandPosts: 249MI6 Agent
    tom1979 wrote:
    Just seen the link to David Walliams's ITV doc on Bond. never really liked him. there should be someone around who could do a better job presenting a programme like this.

charlie higson, jfk, kingsley amis...famous bond fans are a pretty mixed bunch...sure i've missed a few...what other well known fans are there?

Hello Tom, welcome to AJB. I don't mind Walliams, I just hope he takes it fairly seriously and it doesn't just degenerate into doing silly voices and things.

One thing that appeals is that he is a Bond fan from my generation (I think his first movie at the Cinema was TSWLM), so it will be nice to see Roger presented in a more favourable light (hopefully!).
  • Iona Havelock RIPIona Havelock RIP Posts: 38MI6 Agent
    Jonathan Ross in the UK.
  • Iona Havelock RIPIona Havelock RIP Posts: 38MI6 Agent
    Steve Coogan (UK comedian) makes several references to Bond in his Alan Partridge TV series. The Roger Moore interview/towel thief scenes in KMKYWAP, the Bondathon in Im Alan Partridge Series 2.
  • MrsDallowayMrsDalloway Posts: 79MI6 Agent
    On his Q.I. programme, Stephen Fry declared his great affection for the novels.
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    Jeremy Clarkson is also a fan.
  • A7ceA7ce Birmingham, EnglandPosts: 655MI6 Agent
    Surely we can add some of the Bond Actors themselves, like Brosnan who was mesmerised by Connery in Gold finger.

I remember Robbie Coltrane interviewed somewhere who also saw Goldfinger in the cinema and became a fan.

Mike Myers too
    Not sure you can count any of the actors who have appeared in the films - after all, they have a vested interest in saying how marvellous everything is.

Unless you're Connery of course...
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,239MI6 Agent
    You're up early, Mrs D...
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • PUCCINIPUCCINI Posts: 70MI6 Agent
    what about Steven Spielberg? he surely is a Bond fan, putting GF on "catch me if you can" or emulating (read copying) the formula on the indiana jones films, with our man Connery in it...
  • JBB007JBB007 Posts: 5MI6 Agent
    I'm surprised nobody mentioned President John F. Kennedy as being a Bond fan. His enjoyment of From Russia With Love (the novel) is arguably one of the most important things that led to the success of the books in the United States and perhaps even the film series.
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    Gads--I just learned that North Korea's dictator (and budding nuclear terrorist) Kim Jong Il is a Bond fan. So much for being in good company. . .
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • Bill TannerBill Tanner "Spending the money quickly" iPosts: 261MI6 Agent
    Ah, but he only watches them for the villains.
  • Agent_MAgent_M lost in the speed forcePosts: 353MI6 Agent
    I'm very F**king busy!! :)) got to love team america
    Purvis,Wade...........GRRRRRRRR!

www.scottacademymartialarts.co.uk
    Ah, but he only watches them for the villains.

For the fashion tips?
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    So does Robbie Williams count?
    Alex wrote:

Do you mean can Robbie Williams count?
  • A7ceA7ce Birmingham, EnglandPosts: 655MI6 Agent
    Alex wrote:

Do you mean can Robbie Williams count?

ha ha ha , brilliant !
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,651MI6 Agent
    I'd love to see a top-notch celebrity who is a fan of any genre (Bond, Star Wars, Star Trek, etc.) at the geek level, i.e., in the proportions of "The 40-Year Old Virgin." It would be refreshing to identify with a famous personality who collects the gum cards, or who has kept his 1978 Kenner 3 3/4 inch Star Wars figures.

Jerry Seinfeld, for example, hints of his fascination with Superman, but it would be neat to see him show an interviewer his subscription to Wizard magazine, his stacks of tattered Superman comics as well as those carefully preserved in plastic and cardboard.

My disillusionment with the actors who've played Bond is that likely, none of them has watched all the Bond films, let alone have any collectibles. My joy would be complete if one day, Sean Connery pulls out one of the first Corgi DB5s that he might have received as a gift while he was still Bond.
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • MBE_MBE_ USAPosts: 266MI6 Agent
    edited October 2006
    superado wrote:
    I'd love to see a top-notch celebrity who is a fan of any genre (Bond, Star Wars, Star Trek, etc.) at the geek level, i.e., in the proportions of "The 40-Year Old Virgin." It would be refreshing to identify with a famous personality who collects the gum cards, or who has kept his 1978 Kenner 3 3/4 inch Star Wars figures.

Jerry Seinfeld, for example, hints of his fascination with Superman, but it would be neat to see him show an interviewer his subscription to Wizard magazine, his stacks of tattered Superman comics as well as those carefully preserved in plastic and cardboard.

My disillusionment with the actors who've played Bond is that likely, none of them has watched all the Bond films, let alone have any collectibles. My joy would be complete if one day, Sean Connery pulls out one of the first Corgi DB5s that he might have received as a gift while he was still Bond.

If it makes you feel better, Pierce said he had a Corgi as a kid and got scolded for playing with it in class. His current collectables though are things he's said he swiped from the set so I'm not sure if those count for you. ;)

As for watching all the films when DAD came out he did a Bond pop quiz for Esquire and scored 9 of 10 (getting something from one of his own films wrong -- he misidentified M's quote on terrorism with one by Bush -- LOL) I was actually surprised and impressed he knew that DAF was the film where Bond sleeps with one woman.

Also didn't Daniel say he watched all the films several times -- though that was to prepare for the role. But he'd seen them surely as a kid growing up in the U.K. How could he not?

Connery has actually watched at least several of the films that came after his reign, because he's remarked on them or rather the performances by the actors. And it's not as if he had to see them because he was at their premieres. B-)

Roger is the only one I can recall saying they're not his kind of films so he doesn't go out of his way to see them (though he saw GE and DAD because he was at their premieres) and he also avoids them so as to not have to comment on his successors.

As for other famous fans-- didn't Saddam Hussein not only have a floor that opened up to shark pool but several Bond DVDs including two copies of LTK that were found on the premises. :D

MBE
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,651MI6 Agent
    Thanks, MBE, that's refreshing to know about PB. In retrospect, I think he was the most excited about Bond, and being Bond (from the night his wife Cassandra brought him along to meet with Cubby), or at least from what we can tell with what they've publicly stated.
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • jetsetwillyjetsetwilly Liverpool, UKPosts: 1,048MI6 Agent
    MBE_ wrote:
    Also didn't Daniel say he watched all the films several times -- though that was to prepare for the role. But he'd seen them surely as a kid growing up in the U.K. How could he not?

I may be wrong (stranger things have happened) but I remember Craig saying something about the films being on in his house when he was growing up, but not necessarily watching them. Remember, Daniel Craig's family is astonishingly middle class, and the Bond films are shown on common old ITV... ;)
    Founder of the Wint & Kidd Appreciation Society.

@merseytart
  • Willie GarvinWillie Garvin Posts: 1,412MI6 Agent
    edited October 2006
    The Scottish comedian/actor/author/composer/talk show host Craig Ferguson has frequently acknowledged his love of the Bond films.He was one of the many celebrities who saluted Connery at the recent AFI celebration(Ferguson gave the "milk boy" speech).

Timothy Dalton is another longtime fan and had seen all of the Bond films before he signed on to play 007.Unlike some other actors he's never pretended that they were somehow beneath him.