Oscar for Dan?!

OsatoOsato Aberdeen, ScotlandPosts: 99MI6 Agent
Let's start the campaign right here:-

BEST ACTOR OSCAR FOR DANIEL CRAIG!!!!

I really think he would merit a nomination at the very least, he did a wonderful job of bringing Ian Fleming's James Bond to life.

Any opinions?
Green figs, yoghurt, coffee very black.

Comments

• JohmssJohmss Posts: 274MI6 Agent
    i haven't seen the film, or Craig performance, but i seriously doubt that the academy will give a nomination, even a pre selection... because, you know... is Bond. other thing, for what i understand, the winner actor makes a catharsis in the acting (a good screaming part, or the crying without tears... i really have no idea why, but it seems that way.

But it might be funny to have a nomination and read about it in CnB: "Babs and Myckey are really destroying the franchise making it so commercial, but making a sci-fi thriller in which that blond dude gets an oscar nomination. We in CnB wonder how much was the budget for this charade, or maybe all the academy will have cameos in Bond 22 -or as we call it- Bond Dies again-."

please don't take this seriously or personal, my intention is to be funny, not offensive
  • highhopeshighhopes Posts: 1,358MI6 Agent
    johmss is undoubtedly right: It'll never happen. But I'll say that Craig is certainly an actor capable of winning one. He's that good. I can't believe this James Bond is the same guy who played the meek, geeky professor in "Enduring Love," or Ted Hughes in "Sylvia." I think he's really amazing.
  • VirgilVirgil Posts: 99MI6 Agent
    I don´t think that could happen either, but wouldn´t rule it out as downright impossible. I haven´t seen the film myself, but from what I´ve seen, read and heard, Craig, through his acting talent, makes the character his own (very tough after 5 other guys played it before to pull off), and makes it multidimensional and believable.That is a great achievement. More so against all odds as it was. That might make him worthy of a nomination in the Academy´s eyes, which would compensate for all the media and fans rage at him.
    Highly unlikely, not impossible, just as Fleming described James Bond´s adventures.
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,694MI6 Agent
    I'm not sure he'll get an Oscar because he didn't play a disabled person or have to dress up as an ugly person (no jokes please) or whatever.

But I think this time Bond may actually have a good chance at the BAFTAs- certainly for technical stuff and maybe even for the acting.
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    EON actually put a "For Your Consideration" ad in Variety, suggesting CR be nominated for Best Picture, Best Actor, and Best Actress. A lovely sentiment, but as others have said, it won't happen. Action movies simply don't get that kind of respect, and even a fantasy movie has to be a certified cultural phenomenon (think Lord of the Rings and the original Star Wars) before the Academy will deem it worthy of any kind of a nod. I think this was proven out by Spider-Man 2 a couple of years ago: many critics put it on their "best films of the year" lists, and I even thought Alfred Molina might get a supporting actor nomination for his performance as Doc Ock; but as far as Oscar was concerned, the film barely existed. CR might pick up some nominations for effects, editing, and maybe for score or for Best Song (I know, I know, but many worse songs have been nominated--and have WON), but I doubt the performances will be taken seriously.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • Willie GarvinWillie Garvin Posts: 1,412MI6 Agent
    Hardy's right.No actor who plays James Bond will ever get an Academy Award for playing James Bond.They might get one for playing another character or even as a career award--like Sean Connery did--but not for 007.The academy doesn't consider 007 or the Bond films to be "important" enough for such consideration.
  • jetsetwillyjetsetwilly Liverpool, UKPosts: 1,048MI6 Agent
    Hardyboy wrote:
    CR might pick up some nominations for effects, editing, and maybe for score or for Best Song (I know, I know, but many worse songs have been nominated--and have WON), but I doubt the performances will be taken seriously.

If "It's Hard Being a Pimp" (or whatever it was called) can win Best Song, absolutely anything is in the powers of the Academy voters!
    Founder of the Wint & Kidd Appreciation Society.

@merseytart
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    If "It's Hard Being a Pimp" (or whatever it was called) can win Best Song, absolutely anything is in the powers of the Academy voters!
    I like that song! :D Personally, as much as I love the Oscars, I refuse to be a member of any club which won't have Martin Scorsese as a member. ;)
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • highhopeshighhopes Posts: 1,358MI6 Agent
    Dan Same wrote:
    I like that song! :D Personally, as much as I love the Oscars, I refuse to be a member of any club which won't have Martin Scorsese as a member. ;)

It is hard to take that bunch seriously when you look at the people who've been snubbed over the years.
    Hardy's right.No actor who plays James Bond will ever get an Academy Award for playing James Bond.They might get one for playing another character or even as a career award--like Sean Connery did--but not for 007.The academy doesn't consider 007 or the Bond films to be "important" enough for such consideration.

Is not because he isn't important, or brittish, or "blond", is because IS James Bond:

Bond movies had (or has, to yours) the same kinda development, the plot, girl, evil, evil henchmen... action, smiles, gadgets, gags... those are impressive, but no innovator, or lets say... relevant in character creation.. we can't say the same in the technical department.. it is always putting someting breathtaking.

he is an action guy: run, jump, shoot... not precisely what they are looking for in a winner.

P.S. Dan, i'm with you about Scorcesse, he has been robbend more than once, but not by Clint Eastwood (it is a shame that they encounter themselves in the same year.. they both deserve it)
    edited November 2006
    The Bond films have occasionally won technical awards,but unfortunately,as a whole,they--and the actors who've played Bond--haven't been taken as seriously by the film community as they should be.

There's also a strange reverse snobbery involved within the acting community as well, because not every performer (on both sides of the Atlantic) views the Bond character as important.

Sometimes the Bonds are dismissed as being somewhat silly and much less demanding than,say,Shakespeare.

Even when the critics praise a Bond film (or an actor playing Bond)they usually begin their reviews by saying something along the lines of,"I don't generally approve of the James Bond movies,much less the actors who play the part,but I liked this film because it was different from the others..."

However,EON hasn't gone unrecognized entirely.Cubby Broccoli did win a life achievment award from the Academy in the 1980s and that had everything to do with honoring the Bond films.
  • Klaus HergescheimerKlaus Hergescheimer Posts: 332MI6 Agent
    If Johnny Depp can be nominated for Jack Sparrow, then an actor can be nominated for James Bond.
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,694MI6 Agent
    If Johnny Depp can be nominated for Jack Sparrow, then an actor can be nominated for James Bond.

Really? Was he?
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,988Quartermasters
    It won't happen, but I would laugh my ass off if it did :D

Still, I think Craigger stands a better chance of winning an Oscar during his Bond tenure (albeit for some other role) than any of his predecessors, if only because of the eclectic and diverse nature of the projects he chooses.

I predict Eon will have a hard time hanging onto (read: affording) him after his contract expires...
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • LoyalLoyal Posts: 5MI6 Agent
    Oscar?! he shud be given a jail sentense!
    That's the spirit :))
    Loyal wrote:
    Oscar?! he shud be given a jail sentense!

Don't sugercoat it.What do you really think?
    highhopes wrote:
    Dan Same wrote:

It is hard to take that bunch seriously when you look at the people who've been snubbed over the years.
    I was half-joking. :p It wasn't a great year for film music but I think they deserved it the most of the people who were nominated that year.
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
    edited November 2006
    Johmss wrote:
    P.S. Dan, i'm with you about Scorcesse, he has been robbend more than once, but not by Clint Eastwood (it is a shame that they encounter themselves in the same year.. they both deserve it)
    Excuse me? Have I ever said that Eastwood had robbed anybody of anything? :o X-( I adore Eastwood. I think he's an absolute genius. I would never insult him.

Interestingly enough however, I think Eastwood got the wrong Oscars. He has won four; picture and director for both Unforgiven and Million Dollar Baby. In my ideal world, Eastwood would have five Oscars; picture and director for Unforgiven, picture and director for Mystic River and actor for Million Dollar Baby. ;)
    Dan Same wrote:
    Excuse me? Have I ever said that Eastwood had robbed anybody of anything? :o X-( I adore Eastwood. I think he's an absolute genius. I would never insult him.

What i meant Dan, is than Scorcesse and Eastwood got nomination the same year, but sadly only one of both could win (both REALLY deserve it. i only remember once when both where nominated and the winner of that year could easily won the year before.

So: I don't have anything against any of them...

Oh, and ... well, being the Craig Oscar theme... Craig deserves as many oscars as movies he can make (insert infamous kinda film)... but never for being Bond... Bond isn't a challenge for an actos, i mean, even Craig didn't want the role for that reason, 'till he got the script and found something different, but Bond enough to be out of the Oscars.
  • VampiressRNVampiressRN CaliforniaPosts: 203MI6 Agent
    It really is a shame that the movie and actors will more than likely not be recognized for any awards. But the fandom is unpresidented, so recognition doesn't have to be a corporation. I think the length of time the genre has spanned and will continue to do so is a statement most other artsy fartsy films will never even touch. {[]
    Johmss wrote:
    What i meant Dan, is than Scorcesse and Eastwood got nomination the same year, but sadly only one of both could win (both REALLY deserve it. i only remember once when both where nominated and the winner of that year could easily won the year before.
    I was having a bit of a go at you. ;) Although I prefer Scorsese, I love both artists. It would be wonderful if they could both win alot of Oscars, but sadly that is not the case. :'(
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    This morning's paper had a preview of upcoming films, and the "Important" movies are all being released just in time to qualify for Oscar nominations. These are the political, message-oriented films, such as Bobby and Blood Diamonds; and the performance-dominated movies, such as The Last King of Scotland with Forrest Whittaker as Idi Amin, are going into wide release. These are the kinds of movies Oscar voters feel they should vote for, whether or not people saw them or liked them. Ironic--the Oscars began as a way to reward the public's tastes, and now they're seen as the Nobel Prize for Film.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,929MI6 Agent
    remember Lord Of The Rings swept the Oscars after the 3rd film came out,
    or more specifically Return Of The King officially won Oscars that the first 2 parts were equally worthy of winning but didnt

and thats the Oscar problem
    Oscars are almost always given to actors and directors for inferior films late in their career, to make up for snubbing them back in their prime when they actually made the challenging work theyre now remembered for

so, I do think Craig should be nominated, hes done the most actorly Bond I can remember and much better than a lot of the nonacting establishment types who regularly get the statue
    but if Oscar goes according to its own tradition, he'll be given it for the 007 film he makes 12 years from now where he's got a pot belly and a toupee and saves the universe with his invisible X-wing fighter
  • SolarisSolaris Blackpool, UKPosts: 308MI6 Agent
    I wouldn't rule out a nomination, I think Craig's bond is firstly very different and more importantly very good. however I doubt even with a nomination he could win. the Acadamy just don't rate Action, Sci Fi or Fantasy and Bond has quite a bit of each over the years.
    Connery was never nominated so I can't imagine any Bond being nominated. ;)
  • PredatorPredator Posts: 790Chief of Staff
    I'm very happy if we have the usual Bond nominations for special FX and lighting etc etc

In many ways I would prefer Bond stays away from Hollywood razzle dazzle. Don't forget that Bond is still perceived as a more British endeavour and British films have a mixed reception from the Academy.

The one nomination I would like to see is for Screenplay.
  • Thomas CrownThomas Crown Posts: 119MI6 Agent
    Perhaps M said it best in On Her Majesty's Secret Service:

Very curious thing, snobbery.

This elitism about films is so frustrating. Forgive my rant but, in the context of cinema history the James Bond films are important! These films created the action-adventure genre as we know it, which has been one of the largest and most appealing genres of movies, ever. The series itself has become a cultural icon for elegance, suaveness, stunts, and escapism. And to classify these films as popcorn-munching, mind-numbing action flicks is to group them in with the muscle bound, all-action-no-plot films of Jean Claude Van Damme, Terminator and the like. The Bond films have an enduring legacy, and will be long remembered by cinema audiences, which will not always be said for the "artsy" flicks.

The James Bond movies represent what us "common folk" go to the movies for. If the cultural elites want to pat themselves on the back that’s fine, but don't use it as some bar for cinematic worth, you'd be kidding yourselves to think so.
  • Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    Or "Ghost" can win Best Picture or Marissa Tomei can win a supporting statue for "My Cousin Vinny." Stranger things have happened.
    edited November 2006
    I would love to see the Oscar show play a clip from the torture sequence when Craigger's name as a nominee is announced*:

"I have an itch...down there. Would you mind?"

:o :))

*Pure fantasy---as I've said, it won't happen...but some winners have been less deserving, IMRO...