Oscar for Dan?!

124»

Comments

• emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,686MI6 Agent
    I think it's terrible Children Of Men didn't get more. Best Director at least. Closest thing to a flawless film in the whole lineup.
    And why isn't there more for Borat? Usual anti-comedy snobbery. The Globes are infinitely more interesting.
  • heartbroken_mr_draxheartbroken_mr_drax New Zealand Posts: 2,073MI6 Agent
    I agree with that, the Oscars are very discriminatory.

I dont mind that JB doesnt get them, not the kind of films that really should, though it would be nice {[]

The oscars should REBOOT (like that Dan? lol) and include more catagories and chose people that deserve it!
    1. TWINE 2. FYEO 3. MR 4. TLD 5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS 7. DN 8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. TMWTGG 11. QoS 12. GE 13. CR 14. TB 15. FRWL 16. TND 17. LTK 18. GF 19. SF 20. LaLD 21. YOLT 22. NTTD 23. DAD 24. DAF. 25. SP

"Better make that two."
  • highhopeshighhopes Posts: 1,358MI6 Agent
    Fish1941 wrote:
    highhopes wrote:
    I haven't seen any of the nominees, so I suppose I shouldn't knock them. But I've got a feeling this is Scorcese's year and that's bad news for "The Departed," as far as I'm concerned. The Oscars have an uncanny knack of ignoring a huge talent's best work, only to come back and give them the nod for an adequate, but lesser effort. The idea of such an original guy as Scorcese winning for a remake like "The Departed." Can you say "Al Pacino" for Scent of a Woman? That's "scent" as in "stinker" as far as I'm concerned. And Pacino -- who was reknowned for his ability to play subtle -- has played everything at the top of his lungs ever since. How
    "Paul Newman" in The Color of Money? The Academy apparently didn't see him play the same character in The Hustler.

Remake or not, I've seen "The Departed". It deserved the nominations it had received. I am disappointed that Matt Damon was overlooked for portraying the most difficult role in the movie. He was one of the best and most subtle villains I have seen in a long time.

Don't get me wrong: I have no doubt The Departed is a very good movie. So was his remake of Cape Fearand The Color of Money. Those would definitely make the highlight reel for any other director. But for the director of Taxi Driver and Goodfellas and Mean Streets? Color me skeptical ...
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,988Quartermasters
    edited January 2007
    I expected no respect for James Bond at the Oscars, so I wasn't let down...but I have enjoyed the fact that an actor's portrayal of 007 was mentioned in the same sentence as 'Oscar' many times here---and the snickering was kept to a minimum :))

I, too, love the Oscars, Dan. It's the only awards show I ever watch.

As ever, we Bond fans must take a quantum of solace ( ;) ) in having seen a fun bit of entertainment...and in happily anticipating the next one :007)
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited January 2007
    Fish1941 wrote:
    It's been years since the Academy Awards have given Oscars for sentimental reasons. I'm not saying that O'Toole will not will win. He might. But I would not dismiss Forrest Whittaker so easily.
    It hasn't been that long. Morgan Freeman won supporting actor for Million Dollar Baby in 2004. I'm not saying that he didn't deserve it (although IMO he didn't) but it is interesting that he got the Oscar later on in his career when he missed out earlier on for such performances as The Shawshank Redemption. The thing about is that since it is of course subjective, one man's make-up Oscar could be another man's well-deserved Oscar. Nonetheless the Academy has been known to award Oscars to artists late on in their careers.

I'm also not dismissing Whittaker by in the slightest; I'm just pointing out that he's not a certainty. ;)
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
    Dan Same wrote:
    Fish1941 wrote:
    It's been years since the Academy Awards have given Oscars for sentimental reasons. I'm not saying that O'Toole will not will win. He might. But I would not dismiss Forrest Whittaker so easily.
    It hasn't been that long. Morgan Freeman won supporting actor for Million Dollar Baby in 2004. I' not saying that he didn't deserve it (although IMO he didn't) but it is interesting that he got the Oscar later on in his career when he missed out earlier on for such performances as The Shahshank Redemption. I'm not dismissing Whittaker by any stretch of the imagination; I'm just pointing out that he's not a certainty. ;)

Dan, you and I are on the same page on this issue. I wouldn't be surprised if Whittaker won, either. I'd be even less surprised if he lost (I just don't see an Academy member like Lindsay Lohan chosing to watch The Last King of Scotland, even in an alcoholic stupor -- my money's on The Departed because Leonardo is so dreamy). But the Academy is forever giving the Oscar to the right artist for the wrong reason. How about Russell Crowe for Gladiator? When they actually had the balls to deny him even a nomination for his portrayal of Bud White in LA Confidential? And then there's when the Academy is just plain wrong: how could A Beautiful Mind beat out In the Bedroom for Best Picture of 2001? I think Eastwood is brilliant. But Million Dollar Baby over Sideways? Roberto-f***ing-Begnini (???!!!!) for his depiction of the lighter side of Nazi concentration camp living in Life is Beautiful over Nick Nolte in Affliction?

Quick, nurse -- hand me my Prozac, I'm going over the edge ... :s

But as you've probably guessed, I don't share your feelings about the Oscars themselves. I hate them. In fact, I haven't watched them in years because they have proven over and over that they have nothing to do with merit. Add in the fact that most show business folks are just not that interesting in real life (if not downright dull and even in some cases annoying with their self-congratulatory, self-important airs), and the Oscars are a four-hour ordeal I avoid at all costs. I try to schedule more pleasant activities during the time period, like root canals. I can always catch a picture of the red carpet's most spectacular plunging neckline on the Web the next day.
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    highhopes wrote:
    Dan Same wrote:
    Fish1941 wrote:
    (I just don't see an Academy member like Lindsay Lohan chosing to watch The Last King of Scotland,

I wonder if Lindsay Lohan is a member of the Academy? Does anybody know how it works? I had always assumed that you gained membership by being nominated for an award. Are there other ways too?
    John Drake wrote:
    highhopes wrote:
    Dan Same wrote:
    Fish1941 wrote:
    (I just don't see an Academy member like Lindsay Lohan chosing to watch The Last King of Scotland,

I wonder if Lindsay Lohan is a member of the Academy? Does anybody know how it works? I had always assumed that you gained membership by being nominated for an award. Are there other ways too?

I'm assuming she's an Academy member. I just picked her as a generic Hollywood airhead. Here's what the Academy says:

"Membership in the Academy is by invitation of the Board of Governors and is limited to those who have distinguished themselves in the arts and sciences of motion pictures."

Mmmmm -- the Academy doesn't mention anything about a member's ability to ingest Jello Shots, so I may be wrong. Sorry, Lindsay.
    Well...I'm sure Lindsay Lohan's in there, if only on the merits of the remake of Freaky Friday :p
  • Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent
    Not surprised no Oscar for Bond, don't think any Oscar with exception of Best Song will ever come Bond's way again.

As for the Oscar's themselves, I enjoy them for what they are, an award show where Hollywood insiders vote for what they believe is the best film, etc. Opinions will vary, which is why they vote. Lady Rose who I usually agree with, didn't like American Beauty, I loved it and thought it was the best film of the year.

This year I have seen Blood Diamond and The Devil Wears Prada, both of which had many great performanes and I enjoyed both. Saw Little Children and hated it, although Kate Winslett was fine. Will see Babel over the weekend and maybe Little Miss Sunshine. The Departed comes out on DVD in February so maybe I can catch that before the Oscar's. Always a more enjoyable show if you have seen some of the films.
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    As for the Oscar's themselves, I enjoy them for what they are, an award show where Hollywood insiders vote for what they believe is the best film, etc.

They are what they are and I do enjoy the spectacle and glamour of the whole thing. I just dont pay much attention to who actually wins!

I haven't seen much of this years nominees work but I would rather Streep won over Mirren just because I enjoyed that performance a lot more.

I would also like to see O'Toole finally win, even if it was just for his ' try,try,try, try,try,try,try and try again ' comment. :))
  • Moore Not LessMoore Not Less Posts: 1,095MI6 Agent
    According to The Hollywood News, Eva Green will be presenting an Oscar at the 79th Academy Awards on Sunday 25th Feb.

http://thehollywoodnews.com/article_2007_02_3_1246.html
    edited February 2007
    According to The Hollywood News, Eva Green will be presenting an Oscar at the 79th Academy Awards on Sunday 25th Feb.

http://thehollywoodnews.com/article_2007_02_3_1246.html

Just read that; you beat me to it {[] Anyone care to speculate in advance---or place a wager upon---her hairstyle/layers of black eyeliner and makeup?
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    Hmmm. Could it be that Eva and Dan will appear together? Well, regardless, I'm sure both will have to spout those awful scripted remarks that are a hallmark of awards shows. Anyone remember the Simpsons episode where Krusty the Clown was a presenter with Brooke Shields? "Here you are, the star of The Blue Lagoon, and me, the blue-haired goon! Hey, who writes this stuff? My hair is green!"
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    Absolutely right, Hardy...more potential groaners there than in any four-hour stretch of Bond on film... :))
  • Moore Not LessMoore Not Less Posts: 1,095MI6 Agent
    Anyone care to speculate in advance---or place a wager upon---her hairstyle/layers of black eyeliner and makeup?

I will speculate and place a wager that Eva Green will look remarkably like this. :D

alice_cooper.jpg
    :)) :)) :))

I love Alice Cooper...

You're on a roll, my friend -{