If you can remember the sixties....

Yeti49Yeti49 Posts: 2MI6 Agent
Does anyone know the title/artist of the music played after the end of Goldfinger showings in the 1964? i.e the music played whilst the audience was filing out of the cinema. It featured a Hammond organ and the melody, after some descending arpeggios, started with the same three notes as the Shirley Bassey theme. I've been trying to find this for years - it may be a Hammond organ classic! Any suggestions appreciated.

Comments

• The CatThe Cat Where Blofeld is!Posts: 711MI6 Agent
    I haven't lived in the sixties, but as you might have guessed, there were literally hundreds of cover versions of the songs appearing - I wouldn't be surprised if they used some of them as either entrance or exit music. You could try looking at http://thecat.uw.hu/Strangling.html which have lots of versions from all eras, perhaps you'll find the one you're looking for. Also it would be good to know whether this happened in more cinemas or just the one you attended. If it was the movie house's idea to play the music, it can be anythingh. But if it was organized from the top of the food-chain, you can narrow down you're search towards those versions, which were linked to United Artists.
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    The title of this thread brings to mind something I've heard many Baby Boomers say:

"If you can remember the sixties. . .you weren't there!"

Carry on.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff
    Yeti49 wrote:
    It featured a Hammond organ and the melody, after some descending arpeggios, started with the same three notes as the Shirley Bassey theme. I've been trying to find this for years - it may be a Hammond organ classic! Any suggestions appreciated.

"Moon River" starts in a very similar way to "Goldfinger" (as has been pointed out by Leslie Bricusse) and it definitely qualifies as a Hammond organ classic. Try that one!
  • Yeti49Yeti49 Posts: 2MI6 Agent
    Barbel wrote:
    Yeti49 wrote:
    It featured a Hammond organ and the melody, after some descending arpeggios, started with the same three notes as the Shirley Bassey theme. I've been trying to find this for years - it may be a Hammond organ classic! Any suggestions appreciated.

"Moon River" starts in a very similar way to "Goldfinger" (as has been pointed out by Leslie Bricusse) and it definitely qualifies as a Hammond organ classic. Try that one!

Sadly that wasn't the one (although you're absolutely right). In fact the tune wasn't stricly the Goldfinger theme. The first three notes (after the repeated descending four note introduction) were the same but they had equal musical length and were followed by a slightly different phrase. The whole thing was done on the Hammond organ IIRC. If it was a totally unrelated track then it was an inspired choice by the cinema manager. Maybe I'll find it one day....