Who is Gettler and Villiers?

Please give me some info on Gettler and Villiers...

Thanks,

Comments

• GettlerGettler Posts: 1MI6 Agent
    Aldoph Gettler is a Swiss watch salesman.

He is an assasin working for Mr. White in CR.
  • Tilly Masterson 007Tilly Masterson 007 UKPosts: 1,472MI6 Agent
    This page should help!
  • Le_ChiffreLe_Chiffre Posts: 2MI6 Agent
    It doesn't really tell me who Villiers is.

What is his role in the movie and Gettler's?
  • taitytaity Posts: 702MI6 Agent
    Villiers is the male moneypenny in this movie
  • Golrush007Golrush007 South AfricaPosts: 3,418Quartermasters
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Gettler the guy who has the glasses which one lense is dark and the other isn't. I think he is the guy who gets a nail in the eye in the sinking house at the end of the film.

As I said, correct me if I'm wrong! ;)
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,988Quartermasters
    Golrush007 wrote:
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Gettler the guy who has the glasses which one lense is dark and the other isn't. I think he is the guy who gets a nail in the eye in the sinking house at the end of the film.

That is correct...and Villiers is M's assistant...
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • Tee HeeTee Hee CBT Headquarters: Chicago, ILPosts: 917MI6 Agent
    Golrush007 wrote:

You're absolutely right Golrush. Personally I think the script writers introduced the character of Gettler too late in the film with no explanation of who he was. Also I think he too closely resembled Le Chiffre, causing some confusion for the audience.
    "My acting range? Left eyebrow raised, right eyebrow raised..."

-Roger Moore
    Tee Hee wrote:
    Personally I think the script writers introduced the character of Gettler too late in the film with no explanation of who he was. Also I think he too closely resembled Le Chiffre, causing some confusion for the audience.

I agree. He particularly looks like Le Chiffre when Vesper first sees him on the bank of the canal in Venice, right down to an opaque lens masking what would have been Le Chiffre's bad eye. Was it purposeful on Eon's part? Possibly, but it was an unnecessary complication if so, IMRO---better to simply have a sinister-looking fellow watching the yacht...
  • Golrush007Golrush007 South AfricaPosts: 3,418Quartermasters
    edited January 2007
    I think the thing with the glasses was a case of sticking closely to the novel, whilst updating it, because the character in the novel wears an eye-patch doesn't he?
  • Moore Not LessMoore Not Less Posts: 1,095MI6 Agent
    Tee Hee wrote:
    Personally I think the script writers introduced the character of Gettler too late in the film with no explanation of who he was. Also I think he too closely resembled Le Chiffre, causing some confusion for the audience.

I agree. He particularly looks like Le Chiffre when Vesper first sees him on the bank of the canal in Venice, right down to an opaque lens masking what would have been Le Chiffre's bad eye. Was it purposeful on Eon's part? Possibly, but it was an unnecessary complication if so, IMRO---better to simply have a sinister-looking fellow watching the yacht...

I myself didn't notice any real resemblance between Gettler & Le Chiffre on the two occasions I saw CR. Not that I took a great interest in Gettler during his brief appearance. I agree with Tee Hee in that he was introduced with no explanation of who he was. This is now going to be one of the first things I look for when I get my hands on the DVD.
  • positivelyshockingpositivelyshocking Posts: 53MI6 Agent
    I agree that Gettler looked like Le Chiffre. Despite having read the book a number of times, the first time I saw the film I thought "is that Le Chiffre"? Are they going to resurrect him somehow? Then he gets a nail through the eye a couple of minutes later and I realised that whoever he was, it didn't matter any more!!!!
  • Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    Though we live in an age where a lot of the white guys in a movie look pretty much the same, I didn't see any real resemblance between Le Chiffre and Gettler at all and therefore had no confusion while watching the film. I'm still astounded by those who did. It's amazing how differently people can see the same thing, another reason why eye witness accounts aren't all that reliable.
  • taitytaity Posts: 702MI6 Agent
    I'll agree, I never saw too many similarities between Le Chiffre and Gettler.

I wish the end of the movie was similar to the novel. There was none of that rubbish about the money, she commited suicide because she felt guilty about Bond getting tortured
    edited January 2007
    It's not as if Gettler is a 'dead ringer' lookalike for Le Chiffre; for me it's just that very first shot on the canal bank, where Gettler's face is seen in 3/4 profile: the shape of the nose, the smile, the one eye lens over the same eye which was Le Chiffre's 'bad' one...it wasn't until the third or fourth viewing of the film that it occurred to me.

Just a coincidence, I'm sure---and probably not even that, since those of us who saw it are apparently few in number, and would hardly be reliable witnesses in a court of law ;)

But let the pouncing commence! :))
    edited January 2007
    ?:) :)
  • highhopeshighhopes Posts: 1,358MI6 Agent
    edited January 2007
    It's not as if Gettler is a 'dead ringer' lookalike for Le Chiffre; for me it's just that very first shot on the canal bank, where Gettler's face is seen in 3/4 profile: the shape of the nose, the smile, the one eye lens over the same eye which was Le Chiffre's 'bad' one...it wasn't until the third or fourth viewing of the film that it occurred to me.

Just a coincidence, I'm sure---and probably not even that, since those of us who saw it are apparently few in number, and would hardly be reliable witnesses in a court of law ;)

But let the pouncing commence, as it is apparently wont to do:

Not pouncing, exactly, Loeff, 'cause I agree. In fact, I made the same observation and posted some time ago during one of my (interminable) discourses about the ending that I thought the fact that both characters had a bad eye indicated they were related. Which in turn suggests that Gettler-LeChiffre/Mr. White were not entirely on the same page in their relationship (I think there was at least one other double-cross going on besides Vesper's double-cross of Bond). I expect we'll hear more about that in Bond 22 from Vesper, who I think we all already now is set to appear in some manner. There's really no reason I can think of for her to be in Bond 22, unless it's to illuminate the audience on the Gettler-LeChiffre-Mr. White-her Algerian boyfriend relationship.
    Again -- this is deliberate by the filmmakers. They had always planned for 22 to be a direct sequel to CR.
  • Tee HeeTee Hee CBT Headquarters: Chicago, ILPosts: 917MI6 Agent
    edited January 2007
    Like Loeffs said it was only during the brief moment on the shore that Gettler resembled Le Chiffre (to us). Eventually as Gettler received some close-ups and some dialogue we were able to rule him out as Le Chiffre. It still baffles me why Gettler would wear such distinctive glasses. Talk about bringing unnecessary attention to yourself. He surely stood out in the crowd. Perhaps the filmmakers felt this prop necessary since we hadn't seen or heard about the character until that moment. They wanted us to pick him out amongst the crowd. Seems like an unnecessary detail used only to cover up for withholding Gettler until late in the story.

If I ever make it to court, I hope the defense doesn’t present transcripts of this thread to the judge and jury because my reliability as a witness would be shot.

I better go get my eyes checked because apparently it just isn’t possible to mistake Gettler for Le Chiffre at that brief moment! :p
    "My acting range? Left eyebrow raised, right eyebrow raised..."

-Roger Moore
    Fish1941 wrote:
    Not pouncing, exactly, Loeff, 'cause I agree. In fact, I made the same observation and posted some time ago during one of my (interminable) discourses about the ending that I thought the fact that both characters had a bad eye indicated they were related. Which in turn suggests that Gettler-LeChiffre/Mr. White were not entirely on the same page in their relationship (I think there was at least one other double-cross going on besides Vesper's double-cross of Bond).

How did you come to this conclusion??:)

Just that if the two were brothers, they might share genetic eye problems.
    edited January 2007
    Interesting theory, HH...though if so, I'd have hoped more would have been made of it---then again, perhaps it will :v Either way, it appears that Gettler is as dead as Le Chiffre---or Julius Caesar ;) ---so repercussions would have to echo beyond what we've seen thus far {:)

And perhaps they will...
  • Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    Fish1941 wrote:
    I'm sorry but I don't understand how anyone could assume that LeChiffre and Gettler were related because one had a glassy eye that bled and the other wore glasses that looked odd. Isn't it possible that many of us were making a big thing out of nothing? Like I had said before, I had simply assume that Gettler worked for Mr. White.

Fish, we know that already -- you've said so in a previous post. How would you like Loeff or HH to respond to your provocation? They saw what they saw -- what's the problem?

Making big things out of nothing is what 99% of the threads on this board do...yet here we all are enjoying them.

Personally, I never thought of Gettler looking like or being related to Le Chiffre, but I do think he was clumsily inserted into the movie with no explanation. Please don't question my intelligence or powers of observation if that's not the same reaction you had.
    Hilly...you old devil!
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    edited January 2007
    For what my two cents are worth (I'm guessing that would be two cents :) ) I was never confused between Gettler and Le Chiffre. I suppose if you have read the book, you know that LC was killed during the torture sequence...but anyone who hadn't read the book but had seen many Bond movies (and I'm guessing that that would be a majority of theater audiences) it's completely acceptable for them to think that the unidentified Gettler was indeed LC reappearing for his final and usual duel with Bond as the main villian typically does.

For those who read CR, there's no question about who's who, but I can understand the mix-up for those who haven't.

Gettler's patch was taken from the novel. As for why Le Chiffre had a bad eye? That was something EON had decided to add to the story...but I don't really think it was meant to imply any familial relation between the two. If that were the case, it would bring up a wierd "he's working for the guy who killed his brother" subplot which isn't really necessary IMO.
    Just to clarify: I'm not saying I know the Gettler and LeChiffre are related. I just think it's a distinct possibility. I do not, however, believe Gettler worked for Mr. White. I think it's pretty clear there were two suitcases in the final scene and Mr. White got one filled with money. Gettler, I think, got a fine, metal suitcase. But we'll know for sure in 2008. Why? Again -- we know that Green has been signed to play Vesper again in Bond 23. I don't think Vesper will be coming back from the dead, so it stands to reason, IMO, that she will be part of a flashback. And the only real purpose that I can detect for a Vesper flashback is to explain her relationship with her boyfriend, LeChiffre, Gettler and Mr. White. That relationship will clarify the plot and continue the story arc that began in CR.
    Fish1941 wrote:
    I'm sorry but I don't understand how anyone could assume that LeChiffre and Gettler were related because one had a glassy eye that bled and the other wore glasses that looked odd. Isn't it possible that many of us were making a big thing out of nothing? Like I had said before, I had simply assume that Gettler worked for Mr. White.

Fish, we know that already -- you've said so in a previous post. How would you like Loeff or HH to respond to your provocation? They saw what they saw -- what's the problem?

Making big things out of nothing is what 99% of the threads on this board do...yet here we all are enjoying them.

Personally, I never thought of Gettler looking like or being related to Le Chiffre, but I do think he was clumsily inserted into the movie with no explanation. Please don't question my intelligence or powers of observation if that's not the same reaction you had.

Many thanks, Sir Hillary. {[]

I merely thought that Gettler bore a passing physical/facial resemblance to Le Chiffre when Vesper sees him for the very first time---no more, no less, no big deal. Sheesh.

This will be my last post on this subject.
  • OsatoOsato Aberdeen, ScotlandPosts: 99MI6 Agent
    I agree that Gettler resembles LC when we first glimpse him on the canal bank. And I suspect that this is done deliberately to introduce a tiny moment of doubt or confusion in the audience, so we empathise with Vesper who sees the same partly-obscured view and is clearly troubled by what she sees. It helps us to get the fact that she's in too deep, has no control of her situation and everything is falling apart around her, which will ultimately lead to her suicide.

Just an opinion.
    Green figs, yoghurt, coffee very black.