BAFTA Awards Ceremony

2»

Comments

• Moore Not LessMoore Not Less Posts: 1,095MI6 Agent
    Just to give you a little perspective on how the UK media has reacted to the BAFTA's. Below are articles from The Sun, The Times, and The Daily Mail.

James Bombed at Bafta's

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,4-2007070044,00.html

The Queen and a King are aces in British film awards

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/film/article1368890.ece

Dame Helen crowned queen of the BAFTAs

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/showbiz/showbiznews.html?in_article_id=435475&in_page_id=1773
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,694MI6 Agent
    Fish1941 wrote:
    emtiem wrote:

Well, the thing about Whitaker's win was that he got best Male Lead, whereas James McAvoy was nominated for best supporting. Bear in mind that Last King of Scotland is all about McAvoy's character and his meeting Amin, and pretty much every scene stars McAvoy- Whitaker on the other hand appears much less often. Which is the lead and which is the support?

Whitaker is the lead. Although the title of the movie refers to McAvoy's character, Whitaker is the real lead.

How do you work that out? The film is about McAvoy's character. He's the one we follow through the film and through his eyes we see it all while he struggles to decide what to do.

Here's another bit of oddness which regularly crops up at the BAFTAs- The Queen wasn't good enough to be named 'Best British Film' but was good enough to be 'Best Film'. Surely if you're the best film and you're British, you'd be best British film too? :)
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,202Chief of Staff
    s96024 wrote:
    Barbel wrote:
    It happens all the time (pun not intended ;%); Hannibal Lecter is onscreen for 16 minutes in Silence Of The Lambs, and Anthony Hopkins took home a Leading Actor Oscar.

He was awesome though.

Indeed he was; a gifted actor or actress can make an unforgettable impact in only one or two scenes and dominate a whole film. Orson Welles in The Third Man springs to mind.
  • OsatoOsato Aberdeen, ScotlandPosts: 99MI6 Agent
    I agree with emtiem: if Last King won the award for best British film, then it must have been considered to be better than The Queen; how, then, did The Queen manage to win best film? Surely it should have been either Last King or a non-British film??!!
    Green figs, yoghurt, coffee very black.
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited February 2007
    Osato wrote:
    I agree with emtiem: if Last King won the award for best British film, then it must have been considered to be better than The Queen; how, then, did The Queen manage to win best film? Surely it should have been either Last King or a non-British film??!!
    That kind of thing isn't unique at the BAFTAS. At the Oscars, The Colour Purple received 11 nominations including Picture, 3 acting nominations and Screenplay, yet Steven Spielberg wsan't nominated for Director. Also recently Suburban Mayhem was nominated for 11 Australian Film Institute Awards including Director, 3 acting nominations and Screenplay, yet wasn't nominated for Picture.

These kinds of oddities (where the best film is a British film which doesn't win best British film, and where a film is nominated in every category but a particular major one) happen at all award shows. It quite annoys me, but I have long accepted it. (Although one thing which I refuse to accept is when an actor who is really the lead is nominated in support; two examples being Ethan Hawke in Training Day and Jamie Foxx in Collateral. :s)
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
    Quite a fun story here- Daniel Craig got a bit nerked by all of the jibes about his swim shorts!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/showbiz/showbiznews.html?in_article_id=435733&in_page_id=1773

He could have been placid and thanked them for the insults, but if people **** you off, why not show it? After all, this guy told him that 'he might have won if he'd worn the shorts': http://www.johannhari.com/index.php

I think I'd have called him more than a '****ing fool'! :D
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,268MI6 Agent
    I am reminded of how graciously Brosnan behaved when that nerdy Dennis Pennis joshed around with him all those years ago at the GE premiere...

Ah well... it's true that Dan always wanted that Oscar... he should see Bond as simply a stepping stone...
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    I am reminded of how graciously Brosnan behaved when that nerdy Dennis Pennis joshed around with him all those years ago at the GE premiere...

Hmm- if you're trying to say that Pierce Brosnan is somehow the better man... don't bother. He's a nice guy- so's Craig. He can take a gag when it's meant well as we've all seen loads of times. But he is allowed to get annoyed at things, isn't he? Or does that somehow make his films harder to watch?
    Allow me to introduce you to a certain Sir Sean Connery....
  • acenavigator1acenavigator1 Posts: 14MI6 Agent
    If you go onto this twerpy reporters web site you can see that the guy was an idiot, and in fact he reports the incident in a much less sensational way than the gutter press.

Heck, can't find the link, someone help out.
    If you go onto this twerpy reporters web site you can see that the guy was an idiot, and in fact he reports the incident in a much less sensational way than the gutter press.

I posted it up a couple of posts ago- scroll up ;)
  • highhopeshighhopes Posts: 1,358MI6 Agent
    emtiem wrote:

I posted it up a couple of posts ago- scroll up ;)

For some reason, the link won't respond to my computer.

I think it's hard to say what triggered this "incandescent ...rage" (wow -- does the Mail pay extra for the literary flourishes?). Maybe he was ****ed off because of something totally unrelated to BAFTA and the joke. He's joked about the trunks himself in interviews, that he didn't know what he was thinking and he'd never live them down, etc ...

Maybe he just he wanted to skip the after-bash but the producers insisted he stay -- probably because if he did leave, it would be interpreted as leaving in a funk over losing the award. If that's true, then I'd argue that it's these kinds of petty directives, that frankly sound like they're from another age to me, that makes a lot of actors squeamish about taking on the James Bond role. It really takes over your life. Sure, you're well compensated and a grown-up, but still ...

Then again, he doesn't seem to spend a lot of time preening over his looks. He expressed surprise and some hurt about all the talk about how ugly he was. He apparently gets just as annoyed when people talk about how gorgeous he is (And here I must say I empathize: I certainly get tired of it myself :)) ). All joking aside, a lot of guys are uncomfortable discussing their looks, unless they're seriously metrosexual. Doesn't feel manly. It's a silly macho thing, I guess, but that's how it is. So maybe after hearing the same joke a hundred times, he got fed up. So what?

A tempest in a teapot.
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited February 2007
    Fish1941 wrote:
    The fact that Dench got the Oscar for Shakespeare In Love is indeed a joke . . .
    I didn't know there was a time limit on how long Dench was suppose to be onscreen in order to be considered for an Oscar nomination. Obviously she was on screen long enough to impress the Academy.
    Well, it's debabtable as to wether she won because she truly impressed the Academy or because she had lost out for lead the previous year for Mrs. Brown. The reason I consider it to be a joke was that her performance was arguably a cameo rather than a true supporting performance. People have singled out Anthony Hopkins's performance in The Silence of the Lambs as a supporting performance nominated for lead, but I don't think that was anywhere near as extreme as Dench's which I don't think could be considered a supporting performance in the slightest.
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,988Quartermasters
    edited February 2007
    Indeed, HH. From the article:

"What Daniel Craig needs now to comfort him, I declared to the people sitting in the Royal Opera House with me, is the love of a fat homosexual.

"'Oh Daniel,' I ask with a laugh. Why didn't you wear your little blue speedos? Maybe you would have won then.' He stares at me. Is it? Can it be? Love?

"'You're a f*****g fool,' he says, and walks away with an angry frown."

I wonder if Connery's 'media relations' challenges ever rivalled this one...be interesting to see this one transpire sometime in the Sixties...
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
    I wonder if Connery's 'media relations' challenges ever rivalled this one...be interesting to see this one transpire sometime in the Sixties...
    Fish1941 wrote:
    Jeez! What is this guy's problem? He's really going overboard, isn't he?

Yeah, just a bit, I think. Sir Sean just might have decked him. He doesn't seem to suffer fools gladly.
    highhopes wrote:
    So maybe after hearing the same joke a hundred times, he got fed up. So what?

A tempest in a teapot.

Well exactly- it's worth noting that the guy it happened to didn't exactly try to make himself look clever or even particularly blame Craig for his reaction in his write-up. I think they were both prats by the sound of it, but it doesn't actually matter.
  • Moore Not LessMoore Not Less Posts: 1,095MI6 Agent
    edited February 2007
    Time to get over yourself, Mr Bond.

For the full article

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jhtml?xml=/opinion/2007/02/15/do1505.xml

The article above is an opinion piece by Liz Hunt in relation to Daniel Craig's alleged behaviour at the BAFTA Awards. You can also read the reaction to her comments by scrolling further down the page.

This is from the last part of the article

Time to get over yourself, Daniel. A little less arrogance and more self-awareness as M advised would not go amiss. No matter how well a man might pack his Speedos, without a sense of humour he will, in the long run, leave most women cold. Remember Russell Crowe? Who cared about the gladiator once he had revealed himself as boorish, humourless and self-obsessed?
    Fish1941 wrote:
    Time to get over yourself, Mr Bond.

For the full article

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jhtml?xml=/opinion/2007/02/15/do1505.xml

The article above is an opinion piece by Liz Hunt in relation to Daniel Craig's alleged behaviour at the BAFTA Awards. You can also read the reaction to her comments by scrolling further down the page.

This is from the last part of the article

Time to get over yourself, Daniel. A little less arrogance and more self-awareness as M advised would not go amiss. No matter how well a man might pack his Speedos, without a sense of humour he will, in the long run, leave most women cold. Remember Russell Crowe? Who cared about the gladiator once he had revealed himself as boorish, humourless and self-obsessed?

Did you read the responses to Ms. Hunt's article? Whew! It looks as if she was the one who got skewered, not Craig. Well, she opened herself up to attack, didn't she?

Wow -- she got a major butt-kicking, didn't she? Of course, we don't get to see the show here in the States, so it was interesting to hear so many observe that he seemed very happy to be at the show on TV, and not in the least bit remote or obnoxious. He certainly looked happy with his squeeze in the picture I saw of them on the red carpet.
    So maybe the guy's not the Jerry Lewis-type who wraps the media in a big bear hug, but I don't think he's the sourpuss some people want to make him out to be.