Does Villiers mean the end of Miss Moneypenny?

2»

Comments

• Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,274MI6 Agent
    Never mind Villiers, what about that foxy lass who's part of the team watching over Bond as he gets his heart started again.... remember her more than lanky no-mark... :D
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited March 2007
    highhopes wrote:
    But seriously -- Q was an entirely forgettable character in DN, too. He didn't have anything to do. Give Villiers something interesting to do and he might be a nice change. Just not the same thing over and over and over, like Q. The trouble with Q is it was always the same old schtick, movie after movie after movie. Same with Moneypenney. I don't want 20 minutes of screen time eaten up by scenarios I can recite by heart. I mean, I'm surprised the audience's lips don't move along with Desmond's while he's saying his lines, it's that cliched. Besides, then we'd have to have more gadgets to justify Q's presence and next thing you know, he'll be tossing Bond the keys to the invisible car. No thanks. Been there, done that. Purvis and Wade sound like they've put the kabosh on the old coot, anyway. More proof of their utter genius, Dan ;) :))
    :)) I am reminded of their genius every time I log onto this site. ;) Seriously, I think that Moneypenny and Q are both icons, and I hope both of them return. Have they gotten a little stale? Perhaps, I don't agree but I'm sure many people do, however I do think that if Haggis and co are as good as everyone says they are ;), then they can find a fresh and creative way to incorpiate both Moneypenny and Q. Perhaps have a younger Moneypenny, who is just beginning to fall in love with Bond, and they can also figure out a way to to include Q.
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • highhopeshighhopes Posts: 1,358MI6 Agent
    Dan Same wrote:
    highhopes wrote:
    But seriously -- Q was an entirely forgettable character in DN, too. He didn't have anything to do. Give Villiers something interesting to do and he might be a nice change. Just not the same thing over and over and over, like Q. The trouble with Q is it was always the same old schtick, movie after movie after movie. Same with Moneypenney. I don't want 20 minutes of screen time eaten up by scenarios I can recite by heart. I mean, I'm surprised the audience's lips don't move along with Desmond's while he's saying his lines, it's that cliched. Besides, then we'd have to have more gadgets to justify Q's presence and next thing you know, he'll be tossing Bond the keys to the invisible car. No thanks. Been there, done that. Purvis and Wade sound like they've put the kabosh on the old coot, anyway. More proof of their utter genius, Dan ;) :))
    :)) I am reminded of their genius every time I log onto this site. ;) Seriously, I think that Moneypenny and Q are both icons, and I hope both of them return. Have they gotten a little stale? Perhaps, I don't agree but I'm sure many people do, however I do think that if Haggis and co are as good as everyone says they are ;), then they can find a fresh and creative way to incorpiate both Moneypenny and Q. Perhaps have a younger Moneypenny, who is just beginning to fall in love with Bond, and they can also figure out a way to to include Q.

Ah! -- "Fresh and creative. ..." But that's the problem, isn't it? I mean look at CR's gun barrel sequence, Craig's unconventional Bond looks or the lack of undulating female silhouettes in the titles. A lot of people don't like messing with the format.

But I'm not one of them. I've said many times I'd have no problem with MP or Q returning so long there was a fresh, interesting perspective on the characters. I don't think a younger lovestruck MP is much of a stretch from an older lovestruck MP. But what if she was totally immune to Bond's charm, or better yet, out-Bonds Bond with her ravenous sexual appetite, but Bond knows M would have his ass (especially since this new MP is very demure, proper and innocent-looking whenever Judy Dench is around -- and we know how M feels about the old mysognist, right Dan?) Besides, he's a little intimidated by her. And she's single. I'd love to see Q as barely out of his teens, like one of those Microsoft wizzes, all teen-speak and technobabble, who's manner annoys Bond rather than the other way around.

Of course, the problem of using up precious screen time remains, but fresh and creative -- I'm all ears :D
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,704MI6 Agent
    edited March 2007
    highhopes wrote:
    But what if she was totally immune to Bond's charm, or better yet, out-Bonds Bond with her ravenous sexual appetite, but Bond knows M would have his ass (especially since this new MP is very demure, proper and innocent-looking whenever Judy Dench is around -- and we know how M feels about the old mysognist, right Dan?) Besides, he's a little intimidated by her. And she's single.

Heh- that's fun!
    I'd quite like them to just get down to it straight away- that'd throw the audience! And then perhaps we can see what Bond's life is like when one of his one-night conquests doesn't just disappear with the end credits of the movie! :)
    highhopes wrote:
    I'd love to see Q as barely out of his teens, like one of those Microsoft wizzes, all teen-speak and technobabble, who's manner annoys Bond rather than the other way around.

Ack- that's a bit cute for me (no; not Q'ute! :) ); I prefer the realistic approach where the guy handing out the guns is actually someone who knows his way around a gun (and no; I don't buy all that 'I always taught you: never let them see you bleed' Er... no you didn't! You're that funny bloke with the gadgets in the basement!); perhaps some old soldier who can't go on active duty anymore and lives vicariously through Bond. Perhaps instead of chastising Bond for breaking his equipment he could be a bit too graphic in his desires for Bond to really stick it to the bad guys! :D

But then, thinking about this- it's all just variations on the 'Q and Moneypenny as comedy characters' thing; I really hope they can come up with something more.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,302Chief of Staff
    emtiem wrote:
    perhaps some old soldier who can't go on active duty anymore and lives vicariously through Bond. Perhaps instead of chastising Bond for breaking his equipment he could be a bit too graphic in his desires for Bond to really stick it to the bad guys! :D

Perhaps something along the lines of...

"Good to see you, Mr Bond. Things have been awfully dull around here... Now you're on this, I hope we're going to have some gratuitous sex and violence." ? :D
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,704MI6 Agent
    Barbel wrote:
    emtiem wrote:
    perhaps some old soldier who can't go on active duty anymore and lives vicariously through Bond. Perhaps instead of chastising Bond for breaking his equipment he could be a bit too graphic in his desires for Bond to really stick it to the bad guys! :D

Perhaps something along the lines of...

"Good to see you, Mr Bond. Things have been awfully dull around here... Now you're on this, I hope we're going to have some gratuitous sex and violence." ? :D

Heh! Yeah; that did pop into my mind a little when I was writing that! Perhaps a little less hero-worshipping of Bond himself, though; I didn't really like that about Algy- just an unhealthy interest in the weaponry itself! :)
    highhopes wrote:
    Ah! -- "Fresh and creative. ..." But that's the problem, isn't it? I mean look at CR's gun barrel sequence, Craig's unconventional Bond looks or the lack of undulating female silhouettes in the titles. A lot of people don't like messing with the format.
    I, of course, love the formula, which certainly included Q and Moneypenny; two characters that have given me much joy over the years. :D Interestingly enough, among the things that you mentioned, I loved the titles sequence (excluding the song) and my problem with Craig's looks really has nothing to do with the formula. I simply don't think he's good looking, however his looks has been debated much in the past, so I won't go into it now. As for the PTS, I had two problems: Firstly, it was far too short, and secondly, the idea of Bond having to kill two people to become a 00 strikes me as rather mafia-like and a bit unrealistic. I was however able to forgive the unique Gun Barrel, provided that the second film reverts back to the traditional Gun Barrel.
    highhopes wrote:
    But I'm not one of them. I've said many times I'd have no problem with MP or Q returning so long there was a fresh, interesting perspective on the characters. I don't think a younger lovestruck MP is much of a stretch from an older lovestruck MP. But what if she was totally immune to Bond's charm, or better yet, out-Bonds Bond with her ravenous sexual appetite, but Bond knows M would have his ass (especially since this new MP is very demure, proper and innocent-looking whenever Judy Dench is around -- and we know how M feels about the old mysognist, right Dan?) Besides, he's a little intimidated by her. And she's single. I'd love to see Q as barely out of his teens, like one of those Microsoft wizzes, all teen-speak and technobabble, who's manner annoys Bond rather than the other way around.

Of course, the problem of using up precious screen time remains, but fresh and creative -- I'm all ears :D
    I'm not too sure I love the idea of a young teenaged Q, but that's what I mean about being fresh and creative. :D An interesting way to include Q perhaps would be to make him similar to Lucian Fox in Batman Begins. That is, make him really cool and maybe very modern.

Plus, don't worry about taking up 'precious screen time.' I see no reason why Bond 22 can't be 2 1/2 hours, like CR, so really including Q and Moneypenny (in a fresh and creative way) really should be no problem. :D
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    edited April 2007
    Dan Same wrote:
    ...the idea of Bond having to kill two people to become a 00 strikes me as rather mafia-like and a bit unrealistic.

You can blame the character's creator for that; 'a bit unrealistic' was always one of his specialities. {[] And you wouldn't give double-0 status to just anyone, would you? Best to leave such things to men who've proven they're capable ;)

Personally, I rather like it B-)

Thank you, Mr. Fleming :007)

And Q wouldn't have to be a teenager; just relatively young, perhaps, like a Cillian Murphy-type.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • bluemanblueman PDXPosts: 1,667MI6 Agent
    I'd like to see Moneypenny meet Bond for the first time, and act put-offish to him, make him work at those charms. That's one difference in the early Bonds, there was some actual sparing going on between them, even if it was in jest.

Bring back the zest and wit, with less fawning.
  • ClassicClassic Posts: 51MI6 Agent
    Tee Hee wrote:
    Isn't it Tobias Menzies?

I disagree actonsteve. I found Villiers to be a rather boring chap. As I love the Bond/Moneypenny relationship, I would love to see her triumphant return, as well as the return of our gadget master Q.
    Desmond is gone. Q is a character who must be retired from the series. By respect.:'(
    For Moneypenny, i know it's a dream but i vote for...1837339113bb54bk7.th.jpg
    Cate.
    edited April 2007
    Dan Same wrote:
    ...the idea of Bond having to kill two people to become a 00 strikes me as rather mafia-like and a bit unrealistic.

You can blame the character's creator for that; 'a bit unrealistic' was always one of his specialities. {[] And you wouldn't give double-0 status to just anyone, would you? Best to leave such things to men who've proven they're capable ;)

And Q wouldn't have to be a teenager; just relatively young, perhaps, like a Cillian Murphy-type.
    I don't know, the hits didn't seem particularly difficult to me. I would imagine that if a 00 was indeed selected based on his performing two hits, the hits should be a little more difficult. As for Murphy, he could be good, but isn't he a bit too young?
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    Dan Same wrote:
    Dan Same wrote:

I don't know, the hits didn't seem particularly difficult to me. I would imagine that if a 00 was indeed selected based on his performing two hits, the hits should be a little more difficult. As for Murphy, he could be good, but isn't he a bit too young?

In the novel, we hear about the two hits as related by Bond from his hospital bed, whilst he recovers from the mistreatment at the hands of Le Chiffre. His first hit was a sniper job in New York City, where he killed a Japanese cipher expert from a skyscraper across the street. The second was done with a knife in a flat in Scandinavia, I think...not pretty at all, we are given to understand...

I don't think the first one in the film was all that easy; granted the second was 'considerably' moreso.

I think if Cillian Murphy is old enough to be a Batman villain, he's old enough to be a young Q ;)
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
    edited April 2007
    In the novel, we hear about the two hits as related by Bond from his hospital bed, whilst he recovers from the mistreatment at the hands of Le Chiffre. His first hit was a sniper job in New York City, where he killed a Japanese cipher expert from a skyscraper across the street. The second was done with a knife in a flat in Scandinavia, I think...not pretty at all, we are given to understand...

I don't think the first one in the film was all that easy; granted the second was 'considerably' moreso.

I think if Cillian Murphy is old enough to be a Batman villain, he's old enough to be a young Q ;)
    What I would have preferred was that the filmmakers keep the first hit (of Dryden), but build upon the second one. Perhaps they could have added a little backstory to it (Bond attempts to kill him in a difficult way but is interrupted and is forced to improvise in the bathroom.) As for Murphy, I'm still not convinced, but I'm open to the possibility. ;)
  • IanT007IanT007 Posts: 117MI6 Agent
    It seems to me that Villiers is M's new PA in this series. Personally I can totally accept that, and I don't feel much grief at the loss of Moneypenny. There seems to be a bit of a yes man about Villiers, but at the same time you can almost see him idolising Bond, e.g. knowing that he's the best card player in the service, following him to gawp at Solange's body (even if he couldn't hack it). But in the end he is M's lap dog (putting Bond on hold, searching Google for M, ringing M up at home).

Yes, I think Villiers is the new Moneypenny. I welcome it.
  • Johnny DangerJohnny Danger Savannah, GA USAPosts: 60MI6 Agent
    Gassy Man wrote:
    darenhat wrote:
    GE introduced the Bond/Moneypenny as a sexual rivalry, almost adversarial, which staled quickly. Lois Maxwell's Moneypenny was much more enjoyable as the relationship was a friendly, playful one. If they were to bring that back (not with Villiers, I mean) than I wouldn't mind.
    Hear! Hear! Moneypenny is supposed to adore Bond in an amusingly hopeful way, not be some sort of harpie with an ax to grind (or in the case of the Dalton films, a dork).

I'd bet good money that Moneypenny will be in the next film, as will Q. It would have been silly to introduce everybody in this "reboot," and now the producers can build into the next story how Bond makes his acquaintances with those other characters. However, I sense that a scene where Bond is introduced to Moneypenny will be written but Q more likely will already be known to Bond -- it's just that we'll see them together for the "first time." It'll be one of those moments where Bond is told to draw something from Q branch, and the look on his face will tell us it isn't going to be a pleasant experience.

I doubt that Moneypenny or Q will appear in the next film, because I think the producers are planning to continue to focus on the character of Bond in CR's sequel. I'd love to have 'Penny introduced to Bond in Craig's third outing, perhaps with a new M-- the male one (Sir Miles)
    if Judi Dench retires by then. I'd also like to see Bill Tanner and Loelia Ponsonby (or Mary Goodnight) introduced if it could be worked into the script without seeming forced or contrived.
    As for Q... well, if he is returned I hope he will not be a cartoon character as he was in many of the previous films. All those scenes in in Q Branch toy shop were too cringeworthy and unrealistic to me. Yes, they were good for laughs, but I don't go to a Bond film for comic relief. I doubt that anybody could do Q better than Desmond did anyway.
  • chillipdip1chillipdip1 Posts: 4MI6 Agent
    Have they never considered M being murdered in previous productions? Villiers killing her would be a good plot line
  • Tee HeeTee Hee CBT Headquarters: Chicago, ILPosts: 917MI6 Agent
    Have they never considered M being murdered in previous productions? Villiers killing her would be a good plot line

That would be a joke waiting to happen....

Et tu Villiers? :))
    "My acting range? Left eyebrow raised, right eyebrow raised..."

-Roger Moore
  • Tee HeeTee Hee CBT Headquarters: Chicago, ILPosts: 917MI6 Agent
    According to CBn, Tobias Menzies will not be returning for Bond 22. Menzies had this to say on his Myspace blog:

"Sad news for all Villiers fans, he is no more! Casino Royale was his first and last stand. May he rest in peace."

Could Miss Moneypenny be his replacement? I hope so. :v
    "My acting range? Left eyebrow raised, right eyebrow raised..."

-Roger Moore
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    That's good news, I think, as there was nothing particularly interesting about him displayed or even hinted at. Say what you want about the routine Moneypenny sequences, but the premise behind them explored relationships...and not just sexual tension-type relationships, but the cameraderie that arises within a working environment. M, Bond, and Moneypenny seemed to be a unique circle of support. Villiers on the otherhand, along with the other young staffers in CR, seemed like a bunch of summertime interns who left the office at night to swap stories about 'the old bat' they work for.
  • 00-Agent00-Agent CaliforniaPosts: 453MI6 Agent
    CTrent49 wrote:
    Could Miss Moneypenny be his replacement? I hope so.

If this is true, then the franchise will return to the badly written sexual innuendos and second-rate flirting.

Yeah, wouldn't that be great.:D No really, I miss Moneypenny.
    "A blunt instrument wielded by a Government department. Hard, ruthless, sardonic, fatalistic. He likes gambling, golf, fast motor cars. All his movements are relaxed and economical". Ian Fleming