Rank the Bond actors in order

Comments

• Andy A 007Andy A 007 Posts: 199MI6 Agent
    TonyDP wrote:

6. Craig - Better than I thought he would be but utterly devoid of charm and humor. He took the role far too seriously for my tastes.

I'm afraid I completely disagree with you there, TonyDP. Craig had plenty of charm and humor, moreso than I thought he would prior to viewing CR. That, combined with the dark tone of Fleming's Bond, is what makes him the best;)
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,280MI6 Agent
    Andy A 007 wrote:
    TonyDP wrote:

6. Craig - Better than I thought he would be but utterly devoid of charm and humor. He took the role far too seriously for my tastes.

I'm afraid I completely disagree with you there, TonyDP. Craig had plenty of charm and humor, moreso than I thought he would prior to viewing CR. That, combined with the dark tone of Fleming's Bond, is what makes him the best;)

I'm glad you liked it Andy; as I said before these are just our opinions and I don't pretend that mine is better than anyone else's. Given my sensibilities and where I rank previous Bond films, Craig just didn't do it for me, much as Moore clearly leaves you cold. I would never go so far as to say Craig is a bad Bond, just not my kind of Bond. To each his own and for what it's worth, my brother - who shares many of the same tastes and sensibilities as me - likes Craig quite a bit.
  • Andy A 007Andy A 007 Posts: 199MI6 Agent
    TonyDP wrote:
    Andy A 007 wrote:
    TonyDP wrote:

I'm glad you liked it Andy; as I said before these are just our opinions and I don't pretend that mine is better than anyone else's. Given my sensibilities and where I rank previous Bond films, Craig just didn't do it for me, much as Moore clearly leaves you cold. I would never go so far as to say Craig is a bad Bond, just not my kind of Bond. To each his own and for what it's worth, my brother - who shares many of the same tastes and sensibilities as me - likes Craig quite a bit.

Agree to disagree. Just making conversation. "You know how it is old man."
  • starman007starman007 Posts: 13MI6 Agent
    1 Dalton - underated and robbed of being a fantastic bond by a law suit

2.Connery- the template of later Bonds

3.Brosnan- had the charm and humour to carry it off

4. Lazenby- not a bad performance could have improved with time.

5.Moore- to camp (except for TSWLM)

6. Craig - just does not fit the bill. To thugish the way he plays bond could be played by seagall, willis,or any other run of the mill action actors
  • Alec_TrevelyanAlec_Trevelyan Posts: 6MI6 Agent
    1) Brosnan

2) Connery

3) Moore

4) Brosnan

their the only 4 bonds ive seen in the films.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,205Chief of Staff
    Sean Connery :007)
    Timothy Dalton
    Pierce Brosnan
    Roger Moore
    George Lazenby
    Daniel Craig (till Bond 22, anyway)
  • JennyFlexFanJennyFlexFan Posts: 1,497MI6 Agent
    1. Pierce Brosnan
    2. Roger Moore
    3. Sean Connery
    4. George Lazenby
    5. Daniel Craig
    6. Timothy Dalton

I'm on the fence though. I didn't like Daniel Craig's Bond but I HATED Timothy Dalton's Bond (not the people themselves, but the character, in LTK it was hard to decide who to root for).

Pierce for me though, not only acts the part of James Bond but looks like how I'd picture Bond. Partially becaues I grew up with him as Bond, but whatever! :D
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,205Chief of Staff
    Pierce for me though, not only acts the part of James Bond but looks like how I'd picture Bond. Partially becaues I grew up with him as Bond, but whatever! :D

I agree- Pierce looks like Bond, alright. I also agree that a lot depends on which Bond one grew up with, which obviously dates me since Connery tops my list...
  • RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
    edited July 2007
    1. Connery (Contrary to popular belief of CR, he's still the man)

2.Connery (So?)

3. Brosnan

4. Dalton

5.. Lazenby (OHMSS is my favorite Bond film)

6. Craig (subject to move up or down the 007 list at this point)

7. Moore (With the exception of Octopussy, I preferred Moore as The Saint alot more.)
    Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
    -Batman: The Brave & The Bold -
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,988Quartermasters
    edited July 2007
    RogueAgent wrote:

2.Connery (So?)

"Fascinating." - Mr. Spock

:v
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
    RogueAgent wrote:

2.Connery (So?)

"I'm a Connery Bondfan...not a bandwagoner, Spock!" :D
    Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
    -Batman: The Brave & The Bold -
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,988Quartermasters
    RogueAgent wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:

2.Connery (So?)

"I'm a Connery Bondfan...not a bandwagoner, Spock!" :D

"And yet we share the same fallback (#2) position, Jim."

B-)
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • 3rbrown3rbrown MI6 Top Secret - Scotland, GlaPosts: 100MI6 Agent
    1. Connery, Craig
    2. Dalton
    3. Moore
    4. Brosnan
    5. Lazenby
  • JADE66JADE66 Posts: 238MI6 Agent
    1. Connery. His rugged masculinity, his wry humor, his ease in the first two films and the
    somewhat cynical, world weary air he presents in Thunderball, the coldness with which he disposes of Vargas and Fiona Volpe, the harshness he treats Domino with when telling her of her brother's death and then the concern he shows her, all complete the Bond picture for me.

2. Craig. Not since Connery has anyone possessed the ruggedness and essential brutality of the character.

3. Dalton. Underrated as Bond. He brought a harsh realism to the character that had been missing in the Roger Moore performances.

4. Brosnan. A fine actor in his own right. Too good looking for the role. It's hard to imagine him as an assassin.

5. Lazenby. An inexperienced actor who might have grown into the part given the chance.

6. Moore. His slapstick approach to the role, his own refusal to take the character seriously,
    plus the fact that he was the first pudgy Bond,
    make him last on my list. The worst Bond films,
    Moonraker, AVTAK, Octopussy, were all Moore films.
    Anyway, that's my story and I'm stickin' to it...
    For now.;)
  • 007_JBond_AMDB5007_JBond_AMDB5 Posts: 5MI6 Agent
    1st- Connery
    2nd- Brosnan
    3rd- Craig
    4th- Moore
    tie for 5th- Lazenby and Dalton

My top three are also in a league of their own. Connery has to be number one, without Connery's influence, I believe Bond would not be the character he is today. He defined the role, before 007 Connery was practically a brawler type rough fellow, which is what I feel Bond is at heart. Pierce has to be number two, well for one, he revived the series, when it went into recession after Dalton and the Cold War ended, many Bond fans felt that when the Soviet Union fell, the world would no longer need 007, and I believe Pierce opened the eyes of those doubters with Goldeneye. Besides no one in today's world can wear a suit like Pierce Brosnan. As for Craig, he brought Bond into the twenty first century as the world changed and terrorism became a global threat, also he really did take the character back to the roots of Fleming's books. He balances a timless personality in a modern world and I think that is truely unique. As for Moore, his sly jokes were good throughout the movies although became somewhat of a bore after awhile, but when looking at the world particularly the movements within the United States at the time, it would be difficult for anyone to put James Bond into that movement, but I believe Moore did the best he could. As for Dalton, I felt he was good as he tried to be the Bond Fleming wanted, and did a good job at it. However, the timing was terribly off, by the time Dalton's time came, everyone was adjusted to the classic "007 wit" as Q says, and to drastic of a change happened. As for Lazenby, I would've really liked to see him make at least one more movie, I don't think we really got to see what all he had to offer for the role
  • SB_DiamondSB_Diamond North Miami Beach, FLPosts: 126MI6 Agent
    Connery
    Craig
    Roger
    Lazenby
    Brosnan
    Dalton

I have to agree with 007_JBond_AMDB5 on a lot of things, but I wasn't particularly crazy about Brosnan, the only film of his I enjoyed was GE. After that it became more over the top and more about the gadgets and gizmos than Bond. Dalton is last on the list simply because I don't believe that James Bond should cry (in both the films he did!) because it's just not right, he didn't cry when his wife (Tracy) was gunned down in front of him in a drive by, come on, suck it up man! Connery is first because well duh its Connery, no explanation needed there. Craig is second because I think he did a great job of taking Bond back to his Fleming roots and making him more realistic and less of a Dandy (Brosnan). I don't think he gets enough credit, especially for being as hands on as he was with the stunts, I'm sure that Connery and Moore watch CR and say to themselves, "They never would have got me to that!" Roger is just the nice guy Bond to me and Lazenby was great and I would have liked to see him do DAF instead of Connery to see how that would have turned out.
    *~Orbis Non Sufficit~*
  • GeorgiboyGeorgiboy Posts: 632MI6 Agent
    edited July 2007
    1.Connery
    2.Moore
    3.Dalton
    4.Craig
    5.Brosnan
    6.Lazenby
  • dougie007dougie007 FalkirkPosts: 45MI6 Agent
    Moore
    Craig
    Connery
    Brosnan
    Lazenby
    Dalton

I am going to upset a lot of people with my #1 choice, I'm sure. Growing up in the 70's and 80's, Rog was the man. He was suave,sophisticated but could kick ass when he needed - kicking the car off the cliff in FYEO, prime example! AVTAK was one film too much tho. Without him, I don't believe the franchise would have survived.

Daniel Craig runs him a close 2nd - brilliant in CR - everyone who slagged him off for not being right for the role should be eating their words.
    A genuine Felix Leiter - illuminating

Live & Let Die - 1973
  • Agent SidewinderAgent Sidewinder Posts: 223MI6 Agent
    1) Moore
    2) Brosnan
    3) Connery
    4) Craig
    5) Lazenby
    6) Dalton
  • actonsteveactonsteve Posts: 299MI6 Agent
    1. Dalton - Flemings bitter caustic Bond
    2. Craig - the most powerful; even terrifying Bond
    3. Connery - the worlds idea of Bond
    4. Moore - the most enjoyable Bond
    5. Lazenby - wrong Bond at wrong time
    6. Brosnan - I just dont want to go there..
  • 3rbrown3rbrown MI6 Top Secret - Scotland, GlaPosts: 100MI6 Agent
    edited October 2007
    Daniel Craig (Best: Not much choice)
    Timothy Dalton (Licence To Kill)
    Sean Connery (From Russia With Love)
    Roger Moore (For Your Eyes Only)
    Pierce Brosnan (Tomorrow Never Dies)
    George Lazenby (Again not much choice)
    Best based on acting not film.
  • Honey RiderHoney Rider Posts: 211MI6 Agent
    edited September 2007
    Sean Connery (The master. :D)
    Pierce Brosnan (The best Bond since Connery.)
    Roger Moore (The most fun and most underrated Bond.)
    George Lazenby (Not great, but not as bad as many people think he was.)
    Timothy Dalton (While I don't dislike him, I preferred the other Bonds.)

*Daniel Craig (I'm yet to make up my mind about him, so I'm not ranking him as of yet.)
  • MailfistMailfist Posts: 237MI6 Agent
    For me:

1. Connery
    2. Brosnan
    3. Craig
    4. Dalton
    5. Lazenby
    6. Moore

Connery - the original and best.
    Brosnan - very close
    Craig - might move up after a few more movies.
    Dalton - underrated and the closest to Ian Fleming's Bond.
    Lazenby - would have loved to see what he could have done with a few more movies.
    Moore - never my idea of Bond, but the one I would probably most like to go for a pint with.
  • calhounitecalhounite Posts: 11MI6 Agent
    edited July 2012
    1) Bond

2) don't like imposters, especially wusses and worry-warts.

Being sawed in half? Being roasted in a casket? Watch Bond. Doesn't break a sweat. KNOWS he's Bond. ie, a guy who's capabllities are far beyond anything the world can possibly toss his way. After Bond retired, started making movies starring panicky, worry-wart, grimacing hysterics (except for that gutless - actually a wuss - guy who wasn't worried only because he must have read the script). "Bond" quitting the service because some comrade got it? Are you kidding me? Quitting because he fell in love? Bond DOES NOT quit the service. Sorry, but if some comrade buys it, well, those the breaks. Doesn't go off the deep end like his butt's on fire. And if Bond were to hang with a chick, she'd just have to get use to his odd hours.
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    100% correct!
    JADE66 wrote:
    1. Connery. His rugged masculinity, his wry humor, his ease in the first two films and the
    somewhat cynical, world weary air he presents in Thunderball, the coldness with which he disposes of Vargas and Fiona Volpe, the harshness he treats Domino with when telling her of her brother's death and then the concern he shows her, all complete the Bond picture for me.

2. Craig. Not since Connery has anyone possessed the ruggedness and essential brutality of the character.

3. Dalton. Underrated as Bond. He brought a harsh realism to the character that had been missing in the Roger Moore performances.

4. Brosnan. A fine actor in his own right. Too good looking for the role. It's hard to imagine him as an assassin.

5. Lazenby. An inexperienced actor who might have grown into the part given the chance.

6. Moore. His slapstick approach to the role, his own refusal to take the character seriously,
    plus the fact that he was the first pudgy Bond,
    make him last on my list. The worst Bond films,
    Moonraker, AVTAK, Octopussy, were all Moore films.
    Anyway, that's my story and I'm stickin' to it...
    For now.;)
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
  • Roger Mo'Roger Mo' Posts: 33MI6 Agent
    1. Craig - with Martin Campbell he saved the Bond franchise. Rough, tough and dry humoured.
    2. Moore - some rubbish films but brought fun and flair to the franchise (TSWLM the best eg)
    3. Lazenby - wooden actor but OHMSS is probably one of the best Bond films ever. His fighting skills are so convincing.
    4. Brosnan - expected so much from him - he would have been the best - but now his films seem to be too cheesey. Can't fight to save his life!
    5. Connery - sorry- I know he is the master, but watching his films just bore me now.
    6. Dalton - thought too much of himself as an actor as a Shakespearean performer. Lacked humour or toughness.
  • JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,236MI6 Agent
    1 - Connery - The ultimate bond
    2 - Moore - Yes he's different, but for his films, it works (plus he's responsible for some of my favourite films)
    3 - Craig - He's only done 2 (soon to be 3), but he's proving excellent so far
    4 - Dalton - Again, only did 2, but he did a good job
    5 - Brosnan - He's ok. He was always on top form, nothing wrong with him, just prefer the others
    6 - Lazenby - His acting didn't seem very good for the first half of OHMSS, although he seemed to pick up later

EDIT: Oh... I've just realised I already replied to this thread back in 2007... didn't realise it was an old thread. Anyway, looks like my order was the same back then apart from my top 2 :007)
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    1. Dalton
    2. Connery
    3. Moore
    4. Brosnan
    5. Lazenby
    6. Craig

Then again there are only Miniscule Points seperating them as I've enjoyed them all.
    ( Except one, the jurys still out .If he does a good job next time. He might go higher on the list ) :007)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,270MI6 Agent
    It's odd that you love Dalton but have no time for Craig, though many say they're in the same mold or that Craig does it better. Not that I'm crazy about either.

1. Connery
    2. Moore
    3. Well, they're a tie depending on the film really. I can react to Lazenby according to the mood I'm in.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I keep reading that Dalton and Craig have the same approach to bond. I can't
    explaine it I love Dalton, hard edged and more realistic yet Craig leaves me cold
    Liked CR , hated QOS so who knows he might win me over with Skyfall ;)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."