Missing Scenes

cpoulos62cpoulos62 Station UPosts: 451MI6 Agent
It is my understanding that there are a number of scenes missing from the US release of CR on DVD. This may be in part due to the rating that CR received/wanted. I would like to start a thread listing those missing scenes and if they are available on Blu-Ray, UK DVD or any other worldwide DVD. This will allow us all to enjoy what we may have missed.

Comments

• The Bond ExperienceThe Bond Experience Newtown, PAPosts: 5,490Quartermasters
    Never heard that....what is the scoop?
  • cpoulos62cpoulos62 Station UPosts: 451MI6 Agent
    Mantis,

I am told that there are several scenes that are missing or have been cut from the US version. This was done in order to get the PG13 rating. While I am not completely sure how accurate my information is, here is what I have been told.
    1. Romantic Water scene with Bond and Vesper
    2. Some sort of Cricket match
    3. Bit more revealing scene with Le Chiffre's girlfriend before she leaves the water to board his yacht.
    4. Additional scene when Bond and Vesper leaves the train.

There may be some more that others may know about in different parts of the world not bound by the US PG13 version. Also, there is a thought that it is also included in the non-US version of the DVD.
  • The Bond ExperienceThe Bond Experience Newtown, PAPosts: 5,490Quartermasters
    Interesting....these scenes were not in the movie releases I saw either...
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    I know that those scenes were shot, but I haven't heard that they were in any print of the film. Did any of our non-US residents see them at the theater?
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • BestBondSeanBestBondSean A Bavarian in CornwallPosts: 108MI6 Agent
    If the running time on your DVD is 144:12 mins then the DVD is the cut PG-13 release, which is identical to the US theatrical release.
    The uncut version, (examples Region 3) is 144:34 mins long in the NTSC version. Cuts made in the R1 version are these:

Pre-cut (MPAA) "PG-13 Theatrical" release (144:12 min). Cut-list as follows (all info by Michael Mackenzie/Whiggles):
    - After an overhead shot of Bond and the contact smashing down a wall, the first and last few frames of a shot of Bond elbowing the contact in the chest are removed.
    - Directly after, a shot Bond smashing the door into the contact's face is completely removed.
    - After Bond gets to his feet, he kicks the contact in the face. This is missing from the US version.
    - Directly after, we see Bond grabbing the contact, who in turn grabs a garbage can, which he hurls at Bond. In the US version, we only get the last few frames of this.
    - When Bond hauls the contact to his feet and manouevres him towards another sink, the start of a low angle shot showing the contact's face as he struggles is cut.
    - The drowning of the contact is dramatically shortened. First, a close-up of the contact as he is held under is replaced with a shot of the contact's legs kicking.
    - Directly after, a close-up of Bond's intense face is removed.
    - Following this, we cut back to the contact as his struggles weaken. This is missing in the US version.
    - The high shot showing Obanno's bodyguard hitting the ground below after being thrown over the banister is removed. This shot is placed between Bond and Obanno fighting.
    - A close-up of Obanno as Bond smashes his head into a window, shattering it, is missing from US version.
    - Directly after, a wider shot of Obanno recovering and attacking again is cut due to the previous trim.
    - The first few frames of Obanno being thrown into a wall are missing in the US version.
    - Obanno grabbing Vesper's leg as she tries to run away is completely removed.
    - The following shot of Vesper falling but stopping herself in time is cut due to the previous shot's removal.
    - After we see Vesper try to open the emergency exit, a wide shot of Bond shoving Obanno back is missing from the US version.
    - Directly following, a wide shot of BG2 falling back is also missing.
    - Afterwards, Obanno reacting as Bond kicks him is too cut.
    - Obanno rams Bond against the wall, but not in the US version.
    - When Bond and Obanno struggle on the floor, Bond chokes BG2. The second angle of Obanno's feet kicking is removed.
    - After we see Obanno's face, we see him reaching for the gun on the ground. Missing from the US version.
    - A wider shot of them struggling is cut directly after.
    - The next shot, Obanno reaching for the gun again, is cut. In the US version, we only see Obanno reaching for the gun just before Vesper intervenes.
    - A shot of frightened Vesper breaks a shot of Obanno's legs starting to stop kicking. In the uncut version, the legs starting to slow is in one continuous shot, followed by the frightened Vesper shot.
  • 72897289 Beau DesertPosts: 1,691MI6 Agent
    While not crucial to the film, sounds like those scenes would add to the "gritty" aspect of CR, which sets it apart from the other oo7 films.

Let's hope the forthcoming "Ultimate Edition" of the DVD restores them.
  • i expect u2 diei expect u2 die LondonPosts: 583MI6 Agent
    Wow - I didn't know so much was missing from the US version, some of these shots are what make the fight scenes.
  • NightshooterNightshooter In bed with SolitairePosts: 2,917MI6 Agent
    I always thought the US was more lenient on violence...
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    Yeah, it's strange that so many scenes were shortened on the US version. Region 3 version is definately the one to get. The stairwell fight scene is vastly longer and very brutal compared to the R1 and R2 versions.
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • PendragonPendragon ColoradoPosts: 2,640MI6 Agent
    sounds like I'll have to order a region 3 copy online...those cut out bits would add greatly to the fight scenes...

~Pen -{
    Hey! Observer! You trying to get yourself Killed?

mountainburdphotography.wordpress.com
  • Mikep99Mikep99 Posts: 104MI6 Agent
    Where can I acquire a region 3 and will it work on my dvd player? Also, does this one include the scene at the beginning which is at a golf tournament, I think, and also the love scene where they are in the water?
  • BestBondSeanBestBondSean A Bavarian in CornwallPosts: 108MI6 Agent
    Your DVD player needs to be multiregion capable to play Region 3 discs, other than that it should be fine as the discs are both NTSC format.

Apart from approx. 23 seconds in the fight scenes both Versions are identical, there is no extended Water love scene or Golf Tournament.
  • Mikep99Mikep99 Posts: 104MI6 Agent
    Bullocks!

I can't believe it. I thought we would be able to get an extended version of the love scene.

I guess we will, or I, have to wait until the directors cut is released.
    Your DVD player needs to be multiregion capable to play Region 3 discs, other than that it should be fine as the discs are both NTSC format.

Apart from approx. 23 seconds in the fight scenes both Versions are identical, there is no extended Water love scene or Golf Tournament.