'Another Way To Die' (Full Version Now Leaked)

Comments

• Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent
    The pacing is all over the place, the lyrics are laughable, the guitar work boring and the vocals are pedestrian. Other than the horns, which I thought gave the song some Bond feel, the song is awful.
  • NightshooterNightshooter In bed with SolitairePosts: 2,917MI6 Agent
    Listened to the whole thing, finally. Horrible. Pretty much agree with everything Barry just said.

Who came up with those lyrics? And who thought that singing in a monotone sounded good?

You Know My Name is looking better all the time... 8-)
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    What disappoints me most is, that they did not need such a blessed young lady like Alicia Keys to get something like this ready.
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • zig zagzig zag EnglandPosts: 244MI6 Agent
    That song aint bond.Its bloody awful,I couldnt listen to the whole thing.It stinks big time!!:'(
    "Yes,dammit,I said "was".The bitch is dead now."

"It's not difficult to get a double 0 number if your prepared to kill people"
  • PredatorPredator Posts: 790Chief of Staff
    I love the fact that so many people come out disliking the track ... almost as if they feel that they have to like it else it has to be condemned as a terrible entry into the Bond canon of theme songs. Musicians have to live with the old adage that you can never please all of the people, all of the time ...

Ah well, their loss. I think it's great - one of the, if not the best of the last 20 years. (I'm no big fan of either Black or Keys normally)

(I remember being not particularly impressed with YKMN on first listen, but with the title sequence graphics, it all cam together)
  • i expect u2 diei expect u2 die LondonPosts: 583MI6 Agent
    Sometimes I wonder if I'm just a sucker for whatever EoN throws at me, but I can't help liking the track. The orchestral elements are nice and Bondian, and I find the vocals pretty cool.

Although, I still don't have the energy left over from fiercely defending 'You Know My Name'. I think that may always be my favourite Bond song now :)
  • jamesbondagent007jamesbondagent007 Divided States of TrumpPosts: 236MI6 Agent
    I went on a bit of a White Stripes listening spree, and now, I actually like the song quite a bit.
  • xgracex06xgracex06 Posts: 2MI6 Agent
    i dont like this song very much the tune is ok but it is to fast for a bond song and i dont like alicia keys singing either.
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    edited September 2008
    Sometimes I wonder if I'm just a sucker for whatever EoN throws at me, but I can't help liking the track. The orchestral elements are nice and Bondian, and I find the vocals pretty cool.

Although, I still don't have the energy left over from fiercely defending 'You Know My Name'. I think that may always be my favourite Bond song now :)

I'm with you there, IEU2D {[] Although I don't really feel the need to defend it---I'm not going to change the mind of anyone who detests it. Like I said, I know what I like, and I tend to be unswayed by the assertions of others.

I love YKMN as well, and still regularly listen to it just to savour the charge of adrenalin it still gives me, two years on. I react to songs on a visceral, emotional level---besides appreciating them for musical virtuosity, etc. I was a huge KISS fan growing up; you don't survive that if you let critics and haters get the better of you... :D
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • bluemanblueman PDXPosts: 1,667MI6 Agent
    I'm sailing in a different boat I guess: been highly critical of whatever EON trots out for a long time now. But Craig was a great choice, and this song totally rocks. Happy happy. :) :)
  • Remmert007Remmert007 Posts: 232MI6 Agent
    I just think the sound quality of the voices is so bad, sounds like it was recorded on some Yoko recorder. I thought Alicia Keys could do better than this but she's also screaming like an 8 year old. How strange...
    BOND LIFESTYLE
    JamesBondLifestyle.com | Instagram | Facebook | Twitter

You only live once, live like Bond!
  • fire and icefire and ice EarthPosts: 149MI6 Agent
    i like it, decent tune. always find soon as the music is accompanied with the title sequence, it tends to elevate it.
    '...exceptionally fine shot...'
  • NewsmanNewsman Erie, PA USAPosts: 92MI6 Agent
    Thumbs down on the track. Keys vocal talent wasted. Jack White ego project. Maybe it will grow on me when I see it married to the opening titles - but I am not counting on it.
  • maddyhindmaddyhind UKPosts: 106MI6 Agent
    indescribably awful
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    While I've got my problems with the song, I think we could all do without Ol' Unibrow trying to turn the song into a point of cultural debate:

From Yahoo News:

Even Oasis rocker Noel Gallagher waded into the row earlier this week - telling fans it was a "p**s-take" that a movie featuring the archetypal English spy was to be soundtracked by "a bunch of f**king Americans".

Hey, thanks, Noel--nevermind that a bunch of f**king Americans have been bankrolling the Bond movies since 1962, and even more of us f**king Americans got tired of your pathetic We're-the-greatest-thing-since-the-Beatles attitude a long, long time ago.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    edited September 2008
    :)) I guess, that Noel can now call himself beeing officially hardy-smacked ;)
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • Moonraker 5Moonraker 5 Ayrshire, ScotlandPosts: 1,821MI6 Agent
    edited September 2008
    Hardyboy wrote:
    Hey, thanks, Noel
    How else would he get any airtime? It keeps him in the public eye, bless him. More than his music does.
    unitedkingdom.png
  • i expect u2 diei expect u2 die LondonPosts: 583MI6 Agent
    Well I think Noel's right, its an absolute ****take.

:(|)
  • Shady TreeShady Tree London, UKPosts: 2,966MI6 Agent
    edited September 2008
    I thought I'd better copy my thoughts into this thread, which is now the main thread on 'Another Way To Die'.
    Shady Tree wrote:

It's not the lyrics that bother me. To me it doesn't matter if the comments about Bond are expressed in a verbal style which fits a musical genre - 'gangsta' rap - rather than in Bond's own style of language. But what DOES matter to me is that the MUSIC and the production values are simply dreadful... Musically, imho, this track doesn't work as a Bond theme and it doesn't cut it as anything ELSE, either... in ANY genre! Okay, I can vaguely see where they wanted to go with it... but maybe the creative overseers at Eon should have teamed up Alicia Keys with people who would have REALLY known what to do with this kind of rap/rock hybrid, e.g. Rage Against The Machine (cf. 'Killing In The Name')

The Bond themes which have been hitherto regarded as the least successful, such as TMWTGG and DAD, have always had redeeming qualities. I fear that this is not the case with 'Another Way To Die'. In the messy TMWTGG theme, John Barry's attempt to keep up-to-date and to marry his own established Bond sound with the style of the big orchestral 'freak-outs' introduced in Wings' LALD was, at best, unconvincing: but at least the TMWTGG theme provided a number of evocative action and romance cues for the movie's incidental score - and it lent itself, as well, to a cool ragtime arrangement on the soundtrack album! As for the DAD track, it lacked a melody, but Madonna's precision and charisma as a vocalist were a saving grace and the track just about passed muster as a serviceable techno piece.

Unfortunately, 'Another Way To Die' doesn't hang together at all, and despite a few interesting intentions it falls apart in a shambles... Alicia Keys' talents aren't enough to rescue it. Of course, it's far too late for a re-write or re-edit: the best that can be hoped, now, is that the titles sequence against which the damned thing has got to be played turns out to be clever enough in itself to offer some sort of contextual damage limitation. And let's hope that QOS's incidental score provides plenty of compensation and stakes out its own ground independently of this lame theme.
    Critics and material I don't need. I haven't changed my act in 53 years.
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    Hardyboy wrote:
    Hey, thanks, Noel--nevermind that a bunch of f**king Americans have been bankrolling the Bond movies since 1962, and even more of us f**king Americans got tired of your pathetic We're-the-greatest-thing-since-the-Beatles attitude a long, long time ago.

That would have been about 1995 wasn't it? It's not just Americans who grew tired of their nonsense very quickly. Nobody has dated quite like Oasis. They are so very 1990's. A particular moment that has long since passed. The Gallagher brothers are no longer relevant. When was their one golden year? It was either 94 or 95, I can't remember. Their music was the soundtrack to my failed attempts at seducing a big girl in a Highland night club. God she was big. But then they are the best ones. But back on topic and enough about my wasted youth. Noel Gallagher. Prat. This is the guy who said Jay-Z couldn't play Glastonbury.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=mrDIOVXx-y8

We have a saying in Scotland. Get it right up ye. I'm almost tempted to like this song because of that second-rate Paul McCartney's shooting his mouth off. Nancy Sinatra and Carly Simon were American and they did fine. The man's a gimp. A gimp.
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    edited September 2008
    Hardyboy wrote:
    From Yahoo News:

Even Oasis rocker Noel Gallagher waded into the row earlier this week - telling fans it was a "p**s-take" that a movie featuring the archetypal English spy was to be soundtracked by "a bunch of f**king Americans".

Well...I'm only one of the f**king Americans, and therefore hardly a scientifically reliable sampling (for the purposes of a survey ;) ), but I've never owned an Oasis CD, never heard a song of theirs I can recall, and I couldn't tell you the title of anything they've done.

But this Gallagher fellow seems reasonably charming---perhaps I'll run out and buy his entire catalog, in furtherance of my journey toward self-actualization.

:p
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • clumclum Santa Cruz, CAPosts: 63MI6 Agent
    John Drake wrote:
    Their music was the soundtrack to my failed attempts at seducing a big girl in a Highland night club. God she was big. But then they are the best ones.

haha

some girls are bigger than others! :)
  • Candice JoyceCandice Joyce Posts: 4MI6 Agent
    I like the Jack White and Alicia Keys Bond track. Good Effort. For those who haven't already listened to my Bond song, you can hear it here www.candicejoyce.co.uk

I'm on a mission to raise money for help for Heroes with my alternative Bond song - if you like it download it. Thank you.
  • LexiLexi LondonPosts: 3,000MI6 Agent
    John Drake wrote:
    Their music was the soundtrack to my failed attempts at seducing a big girl in a Highland night club. God she was big. But then they are the best ones.

...mmm, this intrigues me. Are you meaning big as in Amazonian?...Caus if you are, then thanks, I like to think we are..:D
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony
  • fire and icefire and ice EarthPosts: 149MI6 Agent
    listened to it several times now. it does get better, relatively speaking it is one of the better themes in recent years. crow, garbage and maddonas themes were dreadfull, incredibly flat tunes. another way to die as at least a bit of energy about it.
    '...exceptionally fine shot...'
  • Aston Martin DBSAston Martin DBS Derbyshire, EnglandPosts: 659MI6 Agent
    Hardyboy wrote:
    While I've got my problems with the song, I think we could all do without Ol' Unibrow trying to turn the song into a point of cultural debate:

From Yahoo News:

As an Englishman - couldn't agree more!

{[]

"NEVER SAY NO TO ADVENTURES." Ian Fleming
  • Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    edited September 2008
    Great song -- high energy, with a "Live and Let Die" and "The Man with the Golden Gun" influence, among others . . . like the last film's, signals a welcome departure from mushy 80s-esque ballads into something more high octane. The lyrics are shallow, but who writes good lyrics anymore?
  • Another LoeffelholzAnother Loeffelholz "a different position."Posts: 77MI6 Agent
    edited September 2008
    You know...? I think I dig it. Startling, to be sure. Most unexpected, yet with some nods to Bond themes past. I think it is the production that initially throws some off. It is definitely odd. But that is not necessarily a bad thing. There is a type of Zeppelin-esque frame work of the arrangement that is very appealing to me. God, I would love to hear Jimmy Page get a crack at producing this..But, of course Jimmy wouldn't use that weird Casio electric drum effect... He would make it sound much more Bonzo !!!! But that is just me dating myself and my tastes... I Love the "Revolver" style broken up and twisted guitar riff in the bridge as well. Good stuff. Startling, weird...Yeah, I think I'm REALLY starting to dig it !!!!! B-)
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,703MI6 Agent
    But, of course Jimmy wouldn't use that weird Casio electric drum effect... He would make it sound much more Bonzo !!!! But that is just me dating myself and my tastes... I Love the "Revolver" style broken up and twisted guitar riff in the bridge as well.

That's very Jack White that bit- very recognisably his guitar sound. And those drums are brilliant; some of the best drumming I've heard recently, in fact.

David Arnold was on the radio talking about it today, in fact.
  • Agent WadeAgent Wade Ann ArborPosts: 321MI6 Agent
    I gotta say, I'm liking the guitar work more and more. I can't imagine what images the new title company will be throwing at us. Is there word on return of the silhouetted nudies?