Quantum Title

Perhpas its a bit late to make htis point--But i am tired of so many people asking me what the phrase "Quantum of Solace" means. If the producers were not using Fleming material, but were wedded to the idea of using a Fleming title, why not just name the film the much more tantalizing and understandable, "The Property of a Lady" and make that title a reference to the algerian love knot belonging to Vesper--that Bond keeps? Granted, the phrase has already appeared in Octopussy, but that didnt stop them with "TWINE" or "LTK"--thoughts please

Comments

• discovolantediscovolante los angeles ca usaPosts: 66MI6 Agent
    Or...simply film a scene where Bond has a conversation with someone and they bring up the concept of 'quantum of solace'. It wouldn't have to be just like the book (that conversation took forever), but I think it could have been a nice bit of dialogue between Bond and Mathis. Either at the plane bar, or at Mathis' villa. Just a thought.
  • BondlikeBondlike Posts: 26MI6 Agent
    thats an excellent idea---i just feel they never did justice to the title
    Bondlike wrote:
    thats an excellent idea---i just feel they never did justice to the title

Why thank you!;) I missed my true calling in life-being a writer for EON....
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,699MI6 Agent
    I agree on everything above, with a possible exeption of the part about being a screenwriter :p
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,238MI6 Agent
    I think they were worried it might seem a bit contrived. Like the corny attempts to get the title into A View To A Kill and The Living Daylights.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Number24 wrote:
    I agree on everything above, with a possible exeption of the part about being a screenwriter :p

Crushing my dreams Number 24, crushing my dreams....
  • JohmssJohmss Posts: 274MI6 Agent
    but for geeks (or fans), it would be nice that Bond or any other character gives a reference to the book (marrying a flight attendant commentary)

Mathis was the best choice to explain the title, but if you ask me how.. well it beats me.
  • c_a_r_t_e_r_3_5c_a_r_t_e_r_3_5 Posts: 116MI6 Agent
    Think about how much publicity they got from going with a slightly obscure name. You might not remember 'Quantum of Solace', but you will instantly recognise it.

Plus if you're clever enough to look up the word 'quantum' and 'solace', then you'll be able to see that it relates to the theme of the film.

:)
  • schaduwoogschaduwoog Posts: 97MI6 Agent
    Bondlike wrote:
    why not just name the film the much more tantalizing and understandable, "The Property of a Lady" and make that title a reference to the algerian love knot belonging to Vesper--that Bond keeps?

That's a very cool idea, the combination property and the love knot.

Apart from that, I really like the Title QoS, it's only a missed opportunity that there wasn't a dialog or a song explaining/making use of the title.
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    edited December 2008
    It's an okay title - but I wouldn't want it shoehorned into the actors' mouths. Even putting the word 'solace' in a bit of dialogue would seem contrived to me.

The fact that the evil organization is named Quantum is clumsy to me, because the title makes it sound like they're some type of Retirement Home association.
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,988Quartermasters
    Sounds like a bad mutual fund...

Talk about evil :o :))

I was really surprised they went with this one...guess it just proves anything can happen. Recently Michael G. Wilson was asked about The Hildebrand Rarity, and he replied (paraphrasing), "Well, if we can get away with Quantum of Solace..." :))
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    I'm not troubled by the title, though initially it seemed odd because it wasn't particularly alliterative or poetic -- but it makes sense in that Bond does get solace by the end of the film, if only for a moment, thanks to this battle with Quantum.

At this point, I'm glad they're not shoehorning the title into the film through dialogue or whatever since that, too, is so formulaic, and it's too early to just go back to where Bond bogged down creatively these past years.
  • another way to dieanother way to die Posts: 111MI6 Agent
    i thought quantum meant sad or loss of something
  • TjustTTjustT Posts: 17MI6 Agent
    I think this is a perfect name for the movie. Because that's what Bond is looking for-a Quantum of Solace. But that comfort isn't about Vesper as much as it is about Bond's search for solace in his job.

Look, he was ready to chuck his whole career away for Vesper. That's because he couldn't see any point in it any more-not in the face of love.
    But when that fails, he still goes on. The question is why? Why go on in that crazy business of spy versus spy?

Bond is NOT out for revenge in this film at all. He does not kill White. He does not kill Greene. He doesn't kill the "boyfriend" at the end either. Bond is in control the whole way. Other people like M think he's out of it but he isn't. He really is interested in finding out who is behind Mr. White. That's what he wants-besides Vesper back alive again, of course. Not revenge. Justice. Not blood and pain-truth and honor.

But that's not going to happen. So where is his motivation? His own people, (MI6) and the other good guys, (CIA) don't care about right and wrong. They want results and they will get in bed with anyone to get them. And if Bond is sacrificed for the sake of oil, so be it as far as his bosses are concerned.

So, HOW do you find a reason to fight when your own folks won't back you? Or even worse when your own people will turn you over to be killed? WHY fight at all when you could be used to protect a villain as easily as a good person?
    Without that sense of inner decency and doing the right thing no matter what there would be no reason to come back to the Service at all.

THAT's what Bond is looking for-a Quantum of Solace inside that will propel him to do his job with passionate focus and inner strength. Doesn't matter what his boss says. Doesn't matter what his friends say. Bond must know that he is following the right path because his heart says so. That is what he is seeking in seeking the truth about Greene and his people.

As someone who works against pedophilia on a regular basis I can sympathize with Bond's onscreen need to take comfort in what he does. So what is a Quantum of Solace for people who deal with bad things?
    It is the measure of comfort you get from doing your best that makes it possible to go on even when you don't always get the Big Fish behind it all.

So for all the cops, fire fighters, EMTs, doctors, PIs and others who wonder if what they do makes any damn difference, may you find your Quantum of Solace that keeps you sane and fighting on, regardless...
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,699MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:

Crushing my dreams Number 24, crushing my dreams....

Keep hope alive, Discovolante. I wrote "a possible exeption". I just ment this dream may not be certain to become reality, just like my dream of becoming a head of a major film studio.
    But probably it will happen, at least if my dream comes true first!