Missing Bond Elements?

2»

Comments

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,059Chief of Staff
    Brilliant point. Arnolds action pieces are quite messy and dont actually sound all that good. But again (and I apolgise) Come In 007, Your Time Is Up although laced with electric Arnoldisms is very orchestrally driven and well done, quite Barryish.

As you mentioned and I know this is off topic but I feel that he Arnold really is improving, proof lies in Night at the Opera and the last 30 seconds of Time to Get Out is so Barry that its not funny. {[]

Very true, those cues are excellent. Looking forward to Arnold's next Bond score- let's hope he gets to write the title song next time!
  • heartbroken_mr_draxheartbroken_mr_drax New Zealand Posts: 2,073MI6 Agent
    I never listened to the song before I went to QoS, maybe thats why I like it so much? lol
    1. TWINE 2. FYEO 3. MR 4. TLD 5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS 7. DN 8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. TMWTGG 11. QoS 12. GE 13. CR 14. TB 15. FRWL 16. TND 17. LTK 18. GF 19. SF 20. LaLD 21. YOLT 22. NTTD 23. DAD 24. DAF. 25. SP

"Better make that two."
  • c_a_r_t_e_r_3_5c_a_r_t_e_r_3_5 Posts: 116MI6 Agent
    I agree that the original Another Way To Die song is worse than the version used for the theme.

:)
  • Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    Arnold is getting better, though I think the theme songs are, too -- they're no longer predictable, 80s-esque ballads warbled by pop stars without the vocal range to pull them off, nor quasi-dance tracks warbled ironically by pop stars who have the vocal range to pull off a ballad. It would be nice if Arnold could find a more creative way to incorporate them into the incidental music, and I agree that his "action" music tends to be a confusion of percussion and odd notes, though his Quantum soundtrack shows he is maturing as a film composer.
  • frostbittenfrostbitten Chateau d'EtchebarPosts: 286MI6 Agent
    Did QoS have a theme song? I must have missed it ... I did hear some cats being strangled, though ;)
  • bluemanblueman PDXPosts: 1,667MI6 Agent
    I think partly it's how tastes have evolved, films aren't scored quite as they were, and I don't think it's due to lesser talent (although can't get away from that sometimes). What Arnold's been doing with Bond of late fits right in with the more modern approach IMO, may not be top of the heap but he does have his better moments, like anyone. I thought QOS gave him a lot of room to flex, and he did to pretty great effect (loved his transition cues almost without exception, and the opera one was very nice indeed).

What Barry was doing in the 60s has been aped by people then and since then, but it hasn't been "cutting edge" or even the norm for over 30 years- think of The French Connection or The Exorcist in the early 70s (or even some B films in the 60s using off-kilter music cues), underscoring has evolved as much as the scenes composers are scoring for. Not a defense of Arnold's follow-through, but more a the old days are gone and I don't expect them back - Barry included. I'm fine if the series as a whole continues in the ways of QOS, ie telling a Bond story thrillingly and pushing the envelop, as Bond started out doing in '62 on film.
  • Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    Did QoS have a theme song? I must have missed it ... I did hear some cats being strangled, though ;)
    Oh, now you're just being mean. :v
  • frostbittenfrostbitten Chateau d'EtchebarPosts: 286MI6 Agent
    Gassy Man wrote:
    Oh, now you're just being mean. :v

Sorry, I couldn't resist the chance to paraphrase Bond (from GE) :D
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,279MI6 Agent
    edited December 2008
    One thing I've found extremely lacking from the last couple of films is a sense of urgency about Bond's assignment. In films like GF, TB, TSWLM and others, Bond was often racing against the clock to thwart the bad guy's master scheme, especially in the big climax. That really hasn't happened in a while and I think the films lose some tension because of it. In QoS for example, the climax could have taken place a few days or even weeks later than it did in the film and it probably wouldn't have made much of a difference to the outcome of the story.

Likewise, I wouldn't mind seeing the filmmakers up the stakes in terms of what Bond is fighting for. Both CR and QoS had relatively modest villains pursuing relatively modest goals - Le Chiffre was just looking to make back some money and save his own skin and Greene wanted to basically turn Quantum into a glorified utility company. Maybe the world threatening plot doesn't fit into our post 9-11 world but I do miss those more ambitious villains like Goldfinger, Largo or Stromberg.
  • Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent
    Good points , Tony. The climax to the last couple movies have been rather anti-climatic and the villains non-memorable.

Wouldn't mind seeing the clock tick down to 0.07 again. :)