Questions regarding QoS plot; warning, spoilers

Windows VWindows V Posts: 2MI6 Agent
Hi, I'm a movie fan and I've been looking all around for answers to my questions; hopefully you guys can help me.

1. Greene hires Slate to meet Camille and kill her. Bond kills Slate, meets Camille, and informs her that Slate was sent to kill her (which he finds out when opening the briefcase). If she suspected that Greene was trying to kill her, why did she go straight to him? Why did she not expect to be shot on sight? In fact, if Greene did want to kill her, why didn't he shoot her on sight, instead of chatting and kissing her?

2. In Austria, Bond pushes the bodyguard of an important man named Haines off a building; the poor bodyguard is then shot by Greene's men. M is ****ed off that the bodyguard died, though. Does that mean that the bodyguard was innocent and did not know that Haines was a traitor? Or was she just ****ed off because Bond keeps killing people instead of capturing them?

3. What are Mr White's and Mr Greene's approximate "ranks" within Quantum? I suppose Mr White is just a middleman, but he was apparently important enough for Mitchell to blow his cover in order to help him escape.... what about Mr Greene? I thought he was the leader, but at the end we find out that Quantum didn't rescue him, they killed him...

4. On the plane to Austria, Greene asks Gregg Beam, the other CIA dude besides Felix, about James Bond. Beam says that Bond is British secret service and that the CIA will "take care of him" or something like that. Now I know that the CIA isn't the nicest of people, yes I've watched the Bourne trilogy, but come on, would they really be after an agent from America's biggest ally?

Edited to add a spoiler tag. It's right below the box where you type in the topic title. HB

Comments

• bluemanblueman PDXPosts: 1,667MI6 Agent
    Howdy! Here's an attempt:

1. Greene is still Camille's only way to Medrano, if there's still a chance she can sweet talk Greene, she'll do it - and that's kinda how the scene plays out, except Greene doesn't buy any of what she's selling.

2. Oh I think M was mad about Bond killing a Special Branch dude - who may or may not have been a part of Quantum. No way to know after he's dead...

3. Who knows? ;) Maybe those questions will be answered in the next film? I think at the least, Quantum looks to be more a collective than a SPECTRE-type ranked organization (but maybe there is a top dog...?). QOS - like CR before it - offers only glimpses into that.

4. An agent in the way of a deal that big would be expendable IMO, even if he/she was CIA. Just a nasty biz. :v

2 cents on all that, and welcome to the forum!
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,792MI6 Agent
    blueman wrote:
    Howdy! Here's an attempt:

1. Greene is still Camille's only way to Medrano, if there's still a chance she can sweet talk Greene, she'll do it - and that's kinda how the scene plays out, except Greene doesn't buy any of what she's selling.

2. Oh I think M was mad about Bond killing a Special Branch dude - who may or may not have been a part of Quantum. No way to know after he's dead...

3. Who knows? ;) Maybe those questions will be answered in the next film? I think at the least, Quantum looks to be more a collective than a SPECTRE-type ranked organization (but maybe there is a top dog...?). QOS - like CR before it - offers only glimpses into that.

4. An agent in the way of a deal that big would be expendable IMO, even if he/she was CIA. Just a nasty biz. :v

2 cents on all that, and welcome to the forum!

1) Total agreement

2)M thought Bond had killed him, not knowing Greene's henchmen did it. ... and yes, the Special Branch man would have been a good witnes.

3)We don't know, but I suspect White is the leader of Quantum.

4)I don't know, doubt it.
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    Windows V is not asking why Camille didn't kill Greene, but vice-versa. Since Greene felt Camille was disposable to the point that it was necessary, then why does Greene consistently let her live? The answer: dunno.

Regarding the killing of the agent, it was really unnecessary and was just one more pointless scene to allow M to get angry at Bond. Technically, Bond didn't kill him and this would eventually come out (I'm sure there are reports for this kind of thing) "Why did you shoot our man?" "What? I didn't shoot him, I pushed him off a building?" Hmmm, maybe there's more to this than meets the eye, M! But of course, the script writers wouldn't actually think something it all the way through. :v
  • Windows VWindows V Posts: 2MI6 Agent
    Yeah, I just think it's confusing that Camille, upon hearing that Greene tried to have her killed, just marches straight up to Greene to demand an explanation and not expect to get shot on the spot by him or a henchman. Oh well, hopefully when I get the blu-ray and watch the scene several more times it will explain itself.

Thanks for all your answers guys. It'll be interesting to see if Mr White has a big role in Quantum, hopefully he'll show up in the next film... along with other villains with "colourful" names, haha.
  • Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    Through the dialogue and scene, it's intimated that their mercenray relationship is built upon a mutual sense of violence against one another, tempered by their sexual shennanigans, which is very Fleming-esque. Also, the venue has changed -- having Camille killed in broad daylight in Greene's warehouse is a lot different than in an alley adjacent to some seedy hotel -- but by the end of the scene, Greene has essentially sold her to Medrano, to use as he pleases and then kill when he's done. Seems Greene gets more out of her this way.