Quantum of Solace in running for Visual Effects Oscar

Sweepy the CatSweepy the Cat Halifax, West Yorkshire, EnglaPosts: 986MI6 Agent
The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences today announced that 15 films were selected as semifinalists for Achievement in Visual Effects for the 81st Academy Awards.

The films are listed below in alphabetical order:

Australia
The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian
Cloverfield
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
The Dark Knight
The Day the Earth Stood Still
Hancock
Hellboy II: The Golden Army
The Incredible Hulk
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
Iron Man
Journey to the Center of the Earth
The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor
- - Quantum of Solace - -
The Spiderwick Chronicles

In early January, the members of the Academy’s Visual Effects Branch Executive Committee, who voted the semifinalists, will narrow the list to seven. On Thursday, January 15, all members of the Visual Effects Branch will be invited to view 15-minute excerpts from each of the seven shortlisted films. Following the screenings, the members will vote to nominate three films for final Oscar consideration.

The 81st Academy Awards nominations will be announced on Thursday, January 22, 2009, at 5:30 a.m. PT in the Academy’s Samuel Goldwyn Theater. Academy Awards for outstanding film achievements of 2008 will be presented on Sunday, February 22, 2009, at the Kodak Theatre at Hollywood & Highland Center®, and televised live by the ABC Television Network. The Oscar presentation also will be televised live in more than 200 countries worldwide
207qoznfl4.gif

Comments

• Son Of BarbelSon Of Barbel Posts: 227MI6 Agent
    And it will be hosted by Hugh Jackman who could have been Bond if Eon would spend their money.
  • Sweepy the CatSweepy the Cat Halifax, West Yorkshire, EnglaPosts: 986MI6 Agent
    Not spending money! :o

CR - $130M
    QOS - $230M
    207qoznfl4.gif
  • Son Of BarbelSon Of Barbel Posts: 227MI6 Agent
    Hugh Jackman was offered the part of Bond but wanted the same kind of money he would get for films like XMen and they wouldn't pay it.
  • Sweepy the CatSweepy the Cat Halifax, West Yorkshire, EnglaPosts: 986MI6 Agent
    I'd do it for nothing LOL
    207qoznfl4.gif
  • bluemanblueman PDXPosts: 1,667MI6 Agent
    Good. Craig is Bond.
  • Agent WadeAgent Wade Ann ArborPosts: 321MI6 Agent
    Though admirable that it was nom'd, I don't see it overtaking something like Iron Man. The only thing QOS has going for it in the effects department is that it looked believable and seamless. But other movies named have a lot more going on in them.
  • jetsetwillyjetsetwilly Liverpool, UKPosts: 1,048MI6 Agent
    Hugh Jackman was offered the part of Bond but wanted the same kind of money he would get for films like XMen and they wouldn't pay it.

....allowing him to give us the likes of Australia instead. Thanks Hugh!

The problem with QoS's SFX is that it's of the "unnoticeable" kind. Blowing up a model of a real building and making it look good is impressive, but next to giant eight foot muscle men, flying robots and New York being destroyed by a monster, it can't really compete.
    Founder of the Wint & Kidd Appreciation Society.

@merseytart
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,989Quartermasters
    Yeah...that's a pretty impressive list of VFX films, there. I don't expect QoS to be nominated, given the strength of the category this year. It's nice to be talked about, though! :)
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • c_a_r_t_e_r_3_5c_a_r_t_e_r_3_5 Posts: 116MI6 Agent
    Agent Wade wrote:
    The only thing QOS has going for it in the effects department is that it looked believable and seamless.

I'm surprised that nobody has attacked your use of the word 'seemless' with the words 'jerky', 'editing' and 'Bourne'.

And although the Visual Effects were good in QOS, the Bond franchise prouds itself on doing stunts for real, so winning this would be slightly odd. Besides, Iron Man deserves to win!

:)
    edited January 2009
    Looks like QoS is shut out of the Oscars for Visual Effects...

http://commanderbond.net/article/5936

Hardly surprising, given the remarkable competition. Guess that makes a long-shot bit for AWTD as Best Song their best hope... :p
  • MoniqueMonique USAPosts: 696MI6 Agent
    It is nominated for a Critic's Choice Award though for Best Action Movie:

http://www.vh1.com/shows/events/critics_choice_awards/_2009/nominees.jhtml?id=bestactionmovie
    Monique wrote:

http://www.vh1.com/shows/events/critics_choice_awards/_2009/nominees.jhtml?id=bestactionmovie

That's cool! I'd love to see it win that one---tough competition even there, though, with Iron Man, Dark Knight and Indy 4...

My vote's for Bond! :007) If only I got paid for my opinion... :#
  • Agent WadeAgent Wade Ann ArborPosts: 321MI6 Agent
    Agent Wade wrote:
    The only thing QOS has going for it in the effects department is that it looked believable and seamless.

I'm surprised that nobody has attacked your use of the word 'seemless' with the words 'jerky', 'editing' and 'Bourne'.

I never said seemless. I said seamless. In such I meant that everything looked real. You couldn't see where effects were dropped in. Watch the old unmodified Star Wars movies and you can see all the matte lines. I'm sure that in all of QOS, there was at least SOME digital enhancement used, albeit other than the MI6 advanced GUI computers, I couldn't tell you where and how.
  • youknowmynameyouknowmyname Gainesville, FL, USAPosts: 703MI6 Agent
    Monique wrote:

That's cool! I'd love to see it win that one---tough competition even there, though, with Iron Man, Dark Knight and Indy 4...

My vote's for Bond! :007) If only I got paid for my opinion... :#

Seriously Loeff, that would be awesome. I really hope QoS wins...but of course I doubt it with the competition it faces. I am pretty sure that DK will win out there, or Iron Man. Here's hoping -{
    "We have all the time in the world..."