How does the rope become tied to Bond's leg?

Apologies for such a pedantic question, but it always bugged me - how on earth does the rope become attached to Bond's ankle (and therefore break his fall), whilst fighting with Mitchell in the art gallery? At no point does he tie it, and whilst the two are flying around, at no point does it become entangled. I'm infinitely confused! :p

Comments

• walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
    yeah that bit confused me to, but that whole fight had some pretty unbelieavable bits.
  • Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    No way to tell with the epileptic editing for certain, but I believe we're supposed to believe he looped it with his leg, and in that crazy way of serendipity that action heroes have, it goes taut at just the right moment.
  • Andy A 007Andy A 007 Posts: 199MI6 Agent
    WHO F***ING CARES?!
  • Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,699MI6 Agent
    edited December 2008
    They never show how it becomes tied. But I'm guessing it becomes tangled as Bond falls. At least that's what they might want you to believe.

Watch it as many times as you need.

Watch it at the cinema ! Please do not post links to the film on this site...it is a serious offence to do so and would lead to the closure of AJB Sir Miles.
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
  • i expect u2 diei expect u2 die LondonPosts: 583MI6 Agent
    Andy A 007 wrote:
    WHO F***ING CARES?!

Well it would be a pretty cold ******* who didn't want to know how a rope became attached to our man's ankle...
  • Willie GarvinWillie Garvin Posts: 1,412MI6 Agent
    Andy A 007 wrote:
    WHO F***ING CARES?!

Let's watch the language,shall we?The original poster was simply asking a question and looking for an answer--not rudeness.
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,280MI6 Agent
    edited December 2008
    I'm pretty sure the rope was already tied into a loop on the end (probably to hold a counterweight) and got caught around 007's ankle as he and Mitchell were fighting on top of the scaffolding.

This will be one of those scenes that will probably be a lot clearer and play a lot better on the DVD/BluRay, where you can better control the picture and replay scenes as you like. I had the same problem with a scene at the end of The Dark Knight where Batman somehow managed to tie a bunch of SWAT agents to one rope, thereby incapacitating them. The scene was too dark and too fast to make out clearly at the cinema, but after a couple of viewings at home via my BluRay disc, everything became clear.
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    Andy A 007 wrote:
    WHO F***ING CARES?!

Cranky, cranky! Looks like someone needs. . .

300_34457.jpg
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • A7ceA7ce Birmingham, EnglandPosts: 655MI6 Agent
    This is by use of a cinematic device called b****cks.
    There's lots of fast cutting action going on, which if one were to deconstruct then none of it would add up or could realitically occur in the timescale given. So u just have to believe in JB's one upmanship ie that he can make use of any item in his surroundings - regardless of whether he is vertical or horizontal.
  • youknowmynameyouknowmyname Gainesville, FL, USAPosts: 703MI6 Agent
    A7ce wrote:
    This is by use of a cinematic device called b****cks.
    There's lots of fast cutting action going on, which if one were to deconstruct then none of it would add up or could realitically occur in the timescale given. So u just have to believe in JB's one upmanship ie that he can make use of any item in his surroundings - regardless of whether he is vertical or horizontal.

Amen.
    "We have all the time in the world..."
  • jack008jack008 London, EnglandPosts: 39MI6 Agent
    Amen x 2
    Andy A 007 wrote:
    WHO F***ING CARES?!

Let's watch the language,shall we?The original poster was simply asking a question and looking for an answer--not rudeness.

Ha ha Sorry. Didn't mean to be rude. Just trying to get the point across that it really doesn't matter HOW the rope got tied. It was just a fun part of the action scene.
    Hardyboy wrote:
    Andy A 007 wrote:
    WHO F***ING CARES?!

Cranky, cranky! Looks like someone needs. . .

300_34457.jpg

Very funny.
  • youknowmynameyouknowmyname Gainesville, FL, USAPosts: 703MI6 Agent
    I just watched QoS again (legally in the cinemas) and paid close attention to this scene. It starts to get wrapped around his leg when they are fighting mid air...but then in the next shot his leg is free from the rope, then in the next shot it is wrapped around his leg slightly and then after that it is fully wrapped around. It was hard to see what was going on in the dizzying blur of the action sequence, but I think it is just some cinematic special that we will never quite figure out...oh well. :s

What I want to know is - when Mitchell gets thrown up in the air after they fight mid-air attached to the ropes he comes down on some of the scaffolding quite hard. It seems his leg falls onto a metal piece of the scaffolding and from the upshot angle it almost looks as though his leg is impaled by it. The fact that in the next scene he is jumping around like a jack rabbit, does anyone know if the stuntman was injured by impalement in that scene? cheers. {[]
    "We have all the time in the world..."