syntax and grammar

ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
Has the forum got any advice on Grammar, Spellings Or Syntax. I've read Many post which have spelling mistakes etc. But have never corrected anyone ( like here starting a sentence with but )as sometimes when writing my fingers seem to have a mind of their own and letters are added or ommitted.
I enjoy reading the post from all fans and feel it's a bit petty of some people to snap at others spelling etc after all its the views of the author that are important no how it is said.
I'm only pointing this out and would like some advice on the subject as i'd hate to have to have a dictionary at hand for all future posts.
I've delebritly mis spelt this, and used " to" & "too" inaproptaley and think that most people can read and understant it. Not everyone on this site has( or should that be have ) had the benifits of a decent school or 3rd level education. so please don't be so picky
"I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."

Comments

• LexiLexi LondonPosts: 3,000MI6 Agent
    I wasn't aware of any 'nit pickers' on here, but without sounding like a little goody two shoes, I generally always copy my posts (especially the longer ones) into word, to check my spelling, and I always use the 'preview post' first, to make sure what I am trying to say makes sense (well, to me anyway! :)) )

I guess I always do that, as I want to be taken seriously and if I'm making a particular point, then I take the trouble to make sure that my spelling is somewhat accurate, (always my weak point) but that's probably my A Level tutor getting the better of me ;)

Each to their own. However having said that, there are a lot of foreign poster's on here, so the fact that they are posting in a second language, (Bondtoys in particular) I am always rather humbled, as I can't speak another language, let alone join a debate in it. :#
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony
  • bondaholic007bondaholic007 LondonPosts: 878MI6 Agent
    Google Chrome and some of the newer browsers have a spell check built in to them.

I used Google Chrome.
  • 84208420 Posts: 721MI6 Agent
    Firefox is the best one. :D
  • SiCoSiCo EnglandPosts: 1,371M
    edited March 2009
    There is no strict site policy, but we do encourage the use of a spell checker, especially as mentioned above now that Google Chrome and Firefox have them built in. A godsend for me!

We also encourage the proper use of grammar, we do however appreciate that not everyone cares quite as much as others!

I think most members will agree that everyone makes mistakes, part of being human, being in a rush etc. However what most people really get annoyed with is the miss spelling of Bond related people, places, films etc. After all this is a Bond forum!

The only other bits of advice, and this is primarily from me, I do like to use and see proper capitalisation. I feel it looks better (regardless of whether it's actually spelt right!). Start a sentence with a capital, start topic titles with a capital and whatever happens DON'T USE ALL CAPS! ;)

We aren't going to kick someone off for poor spelling and grammar! Maybe... ;)
    Simon
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,270MI6 Agent
    edited March 2009
    I think you'll find it's spelt godsend, Si Co: ;)

SiCo is a silly sausage

Personally I reckon we should flag up it's = it is while its owns something. Love the Aston Martin, but its ejector seat didn't work.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    I never claimed I was perfect! :D
    Simon
  • Mister WhiteMister White The NetherlandsPosts: 814MI6 Agent
    You may want to take into account that English isn't the primary language for some people on the board.

After all, there seem to be a number of American members...:p
    "Christ, I miss the Cold War."

As long as you spell color with a u I don't mind where you're from :p

Seriously though as I said above there aren't strict rules just try and keep it neat, inoffensive and as near to structured language as possible.

As long as people try you can't ask for any more than that. Most of all have fun and keep it on topic! :D
    Simon
  • Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,699MI6 Agent
    SiCo wrote:

As long as you spell color with a u I don't mind where you're from :p

And spell Gray with an e instead of an a, right? ;)
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    edited March 2009
    Lexi wrote:
    I wasn't aware of any 'nit pickers' on here, but without sounding like a little goody two shoes, I generally always copy my posts (especially the longer ones) into word, to check my spelling, and I always use the 'preview post' first, to make sure what I am trying to say makes sense (well, to me anyway! :)) )

I guess I always do that, as I want to be taken seriously and if I'm making a particular point, then I take the trouble to make sure that my spelling is somewhat accurate, (always my weak point) but that's probably my A Level tutor getting the better of me ;)

Each to their own. However having said that, there are a lot of foreign poster's on here, so the fact that they are posting in a second language, (Bondtoys in particular) I am always rather humbled, as I can't speak another language, let alone join a debate in it. :#

Hey Lexi, you are the only one here who does not judge my english to be crap or wookie :D.

Anyhow, whenever you need a lesson in German, just let me know.

Auf Wiedersehen
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,988Quartermasters
    Bondtoys wrote:
    Hey Lexi, you are the only one here who does not judge my english to be crap or wookie :D

Hey, she's not the only one...! ;)
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
    Thanks Loeffs, but the other guys are always dizzing me because of my language :(

... or maybe it's more because of my personality, I dunno ;)

• Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    Bondtoys wrote:
    Thanks Loeffs, but the other guys are always dizzing me because of my language :(

... or maybe it's more because of my personality, I dunno ;)

What the hell are you saying man. I really can't understand anything you say.

...hard to dizz someone on their personality when they don't have one :v
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • 84208420 Posts: 721MI6 Agent
    edited March 2009
    8420 wrote:
    Firefox is the best one. :D

I take that back ;)

Firefox keeps freezing And I have heard loads of complaints about it :v 8-)
    Asp9mm wrote:
    What the hell are you saying man. I really can't understand anything you say.

...hard to dizz someone on their personality when they don't have one :v
    smilie_tra_033.gif

• FelixLeiter ♀FelixLeiter ♀ Staffordshire or a pubPosts: 1,286MI6 Agent
    You may want to take into account that English isn't the primary language for some people on the board.

:))
    Relax darling, I'm on top of the situation -{