Absolutely James Bond Upgrade

This is a preliminary announcement to let you know that (as long as nothing goes wrong!) Absolutely James Bond will be upgraded next weekend (21st/22nd March).

This will involve the forum being closed for a day so that nothing can interrupt the process.

Upon our return you will be required to upgrade your account to use the new system. This is in order to copy your details, link you back with your posts and to set a new password.

Please make sure your current email address is up to date.

In the initial transfer it is unlikely your Private Messages will be transferred (although I've yet to investigate). I will of course be more than happy to provide you with a backup of these after the event, if you so wish.

If there's anything really important please make sure you have a copy of it away from ajb007.co.uk.

In the transfer no data will be destroyed so any old information will still be available via me afterwards.

A few features won't be available initially but I will work on these to get them back as quickly as possible (more details will follow nearer the time).

I look forward to getting this under way and bring ajb007.co.uk a little bit more up-to-date!
Simon

Comments

• agent 00agent 00 Univex Station L Netherlands Posts: 340MI6 Agent
    edited March 2009
    Will the speed go up as well?
    ajb is very slow at the moment or is it just my
    internet connection?
    good luck next week :007)

Jan
    Jan

" Sono Topolino, e tu chi saresti? ".
    http://www.facebook.com/agent00univex
  • 84208420 Posts: 721MI6 Agent
    Sounds Great!!! :D
  • Doc_ZDoc_Z Lancashire, England.Posts: 7MI6 Agent
    agent 00 wrote:
    internet connection?

Could you quantify slow Jan? Is it the speed the page takes to start loading, or do you get a bit of the page and the rest takes ages to come through? I'm not aware of any slow issues with the server ajb007.co.uk lives on, however I'm happy to see if I can did up an issue if there is one.

Doc.
  • bondaholic007bondaholic007 LondonPosts: 878MI6 Agent
    The site always quick for me, This is the fastest site I know {[]

I usually open up tabs of what sites to go on, This one is always first.
  • Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,699MI6 Agent
    When you say upgrade your account, does that mean we have to re-register or just sign back in with our regular forum name?
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
  • Tilly Masterson 007Tilly Masterson 007 UKPosts: 1,472MI6 Agent
    Is this the annual "maintenance" of AJB?

I do hope that during the closure and upgrade next week, you have or will have some sort of shield that will block any future or incoming external hackers that tried to bring down the site (and succeeded mildly) last week.

Roll on maintenance day..............

:p
  • LexiLexi LondonPosts: 3,000MI6 Agent
    I've just tried to update my email address, in 'my profile' and it keeps coming up with

Update not successful. :(

Any clues?
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony
  • SiCoSiCo EnglandPosts: 1,371M
    Mr Martini wrote:
    When you say upgrade your account, does that mean we have to re-register or just sign back in with our regular forum name?

It will be a two step process that I will try and make as simple as possible. You will be asked to login using your current password, then your details will be checked and you will be able to make some changes and select some new features (i.e. timezone). Then you will be sent an email (confirming you exist and are in fact real and using a legitimate email address). This will contain instructions on how to set a new password. You will then be able to login and continue as normal.

The additional steps are to weed out the inactive accounts. After a few months I will wipe everyone who hasn't upgraded and clear some of the wasted resources.

My aim is to make it as easy as possible but it is a necessary step. I will of course be on hand to help anyone via email.
    Simon
    agent 00 wrote:
    internet connection?

I think it might be your internet connection, I like others find the site to be very fast. Doc Z below is the host so if you have serious concerns post them here and he's a very nice guy, he will look into it for you.
    Simon
    I do hope that during the closure and upgrade next week, you have or will have some sort of shield that will block any future or incoming external hackers that tried to bring down the site (and succeeded mildly) last week.

This is more than annual maintenance, it will be a brand new forum system, hence the change in features. I am trying to make it as much like here as possible but with some added bells!

It will take me a bit of time to bring everything back as this is a bit of an urgent change after last weeks attack. Therefore it won't be as feature complete as I had hoped but it should be much more secure.
    Simon
    edited March 2009
    Lexi wrote:
    I've just tried to update my email address, in 'my profile' and it keeps coming up with
    Update not successful.
    Any clues?

Not really, it is possible that the email address you are updating with is the same as you have now. If in doubt email me sico at ajb007.co.uk with the address and I will look it up for you. This may be one of the reasons I'm upgrading the site!
    Simon
    Sorry about all the posts I figured it would make more sense to address everyone individually.

As a tease the main new features will be a search that works!, the ability to subscribe to topics and receive emails when they are replied to, slightly upgraded posting text area, added security, the ability to view today's posts, active posts, topics without answers etc.

The forum will also be localised slightly and all times will be shown in your timezone (if you select it!).
    Simon
    SiCo wrote:
    agent 00 wrote:
    internet connection?

I think it might be your internet connection, I like others find the site to be very fast. Doc Z below is the host so if you have serious concerns post them here and he's a very nice guy, he will look into it for you.

i'm now using firefox instead of IE this is considerable faster

Thanks
    Jan {[]
    Jan

Can you try it in IE now and see if it's any faster. I have made a slight change and want to know if it affects performance. Thanks.
    Simon
    SiCo wrote:
    Can you try it in IE now and see if it's any faster. I have made a slight change and want to know if it affects performance. Thanks.
    IE is slower than firefox
    waiting on pagead2.googlesyndication.com it says down in the screen
    Jan

That's interesting I'll look into that, looks like the Google Ads are causing IE to misbehave slightly.
    Simon
    As a quick note just to let you know the upgrade may happen on Friday instead of Sunday but I will let you know.
    Simon
    Just wondering will there be any new avatars added in this update?
    Maybe but not immediately the new upgrade doesn't have an avatar gallery at present, it's work in progress. The important bits are coming first. One of the problems with a fast turn around.
    Simon
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    When is this switchover due to happen? Is it at midnight Sunday night?
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
    edited March 2009
    It's any time from this morning! At the moment I'm running behind getting everything back to what you will all expect. It's a bigger process than I had hoped! Rest assured I am working like a beaver building a dam :D

** Corrected! **
    Simon
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    SiCo wrote:
    Rest assured I am working like a beaver building a damn :D

A damn what?
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    edited March 2009
    A damn site upgrade... :D

I guess it will be a damn site better...

;%

:p

:))
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
    A damn site upgrade...

The way it's going it certainly is! X-( An oversight on my part for which I apologise! It's not going well!
    Simon
    Unfortunately today has not gone to plan, therefore the upgrade has been set back for a few more days while I fix some issues that came up.

I apologise for the delay, I know how excited you all were to explore some new bits and bobs!
    Simon
    I don't mean to rush you or nothing but have you got a new date for the update yet? ;%
    I don't have a date but it will be very soon, I am polishing the articles system and trying to make everything play together!

The new forums are being tested by the mods and so far there have been no major problems.

I will keep everyone posted (or just press the button and upgrade depending on how it goes!!).
    Simon