Mathis, A Cover Name

SeanConnery007SeanConnery007 The Bond Archive - London, EngPosts: 169MI6 Agent
This was one aspect of the film I didn't understand at the time, and still dont. What is the significance or meaning behind Bond asking, 'Was Mathis your cover name?'
If someone could explain that would be great.
Nobody Writes Threads Better.

Comments

• Agent WadeAgent Wade Ann ArborPosts: 321MI6 Agent
    It would seem that to protect his true identity, he would use an alias. Much to the same degree that M's true name isn't really but in fact ::I have just been informed that if I divulge any more information on this matter I am to be assassinated::

But I guess there you have it. Mathis isn't really named Mathis but rather something else.
  • minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
    this has been asked before (by myself actually) over on another forum.

in the novel, mathis is actually french (apparently, never read the book myself) and to address people who picked up on him actually being italian in the film, they (babs et co) popped in the idea of mathis being a cover.

its never (and prob won't be) revealled what mathis' real name is/was, but hey there ya go.

book world - french
    film world - italian

the cover's an explanation to the change of nationality.
    'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
    Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • SeanConnery007SeanConnery007 The Bond Archive - London, EngPosts: 169MI6 Agent
    minigeff wrote:
    this has been asked before (by myself actually) over on another forum.

in the novel, mathis is actually french (apparently, never read the book myself) and to address people who picked up on him actually being italian in the film, they (babs et co) popped in the idea of mathis being a cover.

its never (and prob won't be) revealled what mathis' real name is/was, but hey there ya go.

book world - french
    film world - italian

the cover's an explanation to the change of nationality.

Ahhh... ok. So nothing majorly important plot wise, just a loop-hole conclusion. Thanks for clearing that up.
    Nobody Writes Threads Better.
  • minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
    no probs, and M's name is Barbara Mawdsley btw.;)
    'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
    Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,418Chief of Staff
    minigeff wrote:
    no probs, and M's name is Barbara Mawdsley btw.;)

Only in the books ;)
    YNWA 97
  • Kilroy6644Kilroy6644 Saginaw, MIPosts: 12MI6 Agent
    I got the idea that Mathis was his real name, and that he didn't bother with using a cover name, so Bond's question was more along the lines of: "You used your own name as your cover, didn't you?" That's the way I interpreted it, anyway.
  • 00-Agent00-Agent CaliforniaPosts: 453MI6 Agent
    For me the significance of Bond asking if Mathis was a cover name was to show that his death mattered to Bond (before he desecrates his lifeless body by callously dumping it in the trash). Here was this man that lost his life helping Bond and Bond wanted to know the real name of this guy that had sacrificed so much for him. In that moment we get a brief glimpse of the man before he reverts back the blunt instrument he has to be in order to do his job. That brief moment while he held Mathis' dieing body was all the mourning he could permit himself. He had to get on with the job, take the dead guys money, and dump the body.
    "A blunt instrument wielded by a Government department. Hard, ruthless, sardonic, fatalistic. He likes gambling, golf, fast motor cars. All his movements are relaxed and economical". Ian Fleming
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    This IMHO is one of the reasons most people felt confuesd after seeing QOS for the first time(and it's really only fans who will sit through it a second, third etc.).The script seems disjointed perhaps if more time had been used to develope characters between action sequences the audience would of cared a little more about them.I only really understood the plot and backstory of QOS after seeing it for a second time.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Agent WadeAgent Wade Ann ArborPosts: 321MI6 Agent
    I only really understood the plot and backstory of QOS after seeing it for a second time.

The same goes for me. I had trouble keeping up the first time, thought that tends to be the way of things with every Bond movie I see for the first time because I'm so worried about deviation. On my second sitting, I could just sit back and enjoy it. The scene with Bond and Mathis in the street was unique that it had an observer who had no idea of the history between these two people and was trying to find a grasp on the situation.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    edited April 2009
    In the 67 CR, Mathis is played with a scottish accent.Leading to a scene where Bond says "Mathis something bothers me ,your a french agent yet you speak with a broad scottish accent?"
    "aye" replies Mathis "that bothers me too" :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff
    edited April 2009
    In the 67 CR, Mathis is played with a scottish accent.Leading to a scene where Bond says "Mathis something bothers me ,your a french agent yet you speak with a broad scottish accent?"
    "aye" replies Mathis "that bothers me as too" :))

:)) One of the good jokes in that film. Mathis is played by Duncan MacRae, fondly remembered (by Scots old enough to remember!) as playing Para Handy in the first TV series covering the adventures of The Vital Spark.

It's been nice to see some intelligent use of the Mathis character in the recent films; different to the books, but with depth and warmth rather than being a standard disposable sidekick.
    (His blinding might have been an interesting avenue, though.)
  • shaken66shaken66 california usaPosts: 155MI6 Agent
    00-Agent wrote:
    For me the significance of Bond asking if Mathis was a cover name was to show that his death mattered to Bond (before he desecrates his lifeless body by callously dumping it in the trash). Here was this man that lost his life helping Bond and Bond wanted to know the real name of this guy that had sacrificed so much for him. In that moment we get a brief glimpse of the man before he reverts back the blunt instrument he has to be in order to do his job. That brief moment while he held Mathis' dieing body was all the mourning he could permit himself. He had to get on with the job, take the dead guys money, and dump the body.
    JB's dialogue in this scene seemed rather odd to me and then I read this post and it really struck me. I've gone back and watched the scene a number of times and I think this take is right on. When Mathis says yes it is his cover name, JB's almost light-hearted quip is "it's not a very good one". This doesn't seem to relate to anything in the storyline. JB just appears emotionally at a loss with how to deal with a good friend and ally dying. Bravo 00-Agent, I'm with you! -{
    "How did he die?"
    "Your contact?" "Not well."
  • PredatorPredator Posts: 790Chief of Staff
    shaken66 wrote:
    JB just appears emotionally at a loss with how to deal with a good friend and ally dying.

... and then chucks him in a skip and lifts the dead man's wallet.

It's a curious scene and one I'm not fond of, but I hope Eon take time to complete this story arc as it is certainly intriguing.
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,418Chief of Staff
    Predator wrote:
    shaken66 wrote:
    JB just appears emotionally at a loss with how to deal with a good friend and ally dying.

... and then chucks him in a skip and lifts the dead man's wallet.

It's a curious scene and one I'm not fond of, but I hope Eon take time to complete this story arc as it is certainly intriguing.

I don't have any problems with that scene....to me, it just shows a ruthless streak....a determination to get the job done, at whatever cost. As for taking the wallet....well....it can't help Mathis anymore..but it can help Bond.

That's my take on it anyway.
    YNWA 97
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,988Quartermasters
    I agree, Sir Miles. Not only is there expediency in what Bond does here, it also gives us a peek into the compartmentalization necessary in an agent like 007...the final lingering shot of Mathis in the dumpster, purposefully eliciting revulsion as it is intended to do, drives home the point that these men are in a deadly business.

And the flash of veiled grief Craig gives the scene speaks to the nuance of the piece as a whole, IMRO.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • Mister WhiteMister White The NetherlandsPosts: 814MI6 Agent
    I have always been very fond of Mathis, so I was very sorry to see him go so soon. :(

However, I always thought that Bond lifted his wallet in order to make it look like Mathis had been killed in a robbery, or at least confuse the local police as to what really happened, just in case there was actually going to be an investigation.

Considering the police were working for Greene it may seem like a lost effort, but just in case some of them weren't, it wouldn't do to not leave a red herring.
    "Christ, I miss the Cold War."