Wilson on #23: Nothing Yet

LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,988Quartermasters
Bond producer Michael G. Wilson attended the Bradford International Film Festival, in Bradford, U.K. last week, and was inevitably asked about the next Bond film.

The news: There is none :#

http://www.cinemaretro.com/index.php?/archives/3079-BRADFORD-INTERNATIONAL-FILM-FESTIVAL-DIARY-DAY-1-MICHAEL-G.-WILSON-GIVES-A-MASTER-CLASS-ON-JAMES-BOND-MOVIES.html

One interesting bit: "Someone asked Wilson why he allowed the action sequences in Quantum to be edited with so many fast cuts that it robbed the scenes of any suspense. Wilson acknowledged that they were trying to please modern audiences who are used to that style of editing but did not outwardly endorse the style." ;)
Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
"I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
"Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM

Comments

• HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    edited March 2009
    ha!
    I am happy to hear, that a minimum of common sense is still with Babs and Mickey!

I particularly enjoy this:

...."Eon had little or no say over the song, which has been delivered so late in the process that the producers have to accept whatever is delivered. (Although Wilson did not mention any specific song titles, one would not be going out on a limb to assume it includes the dreadful Another Way to Die from Quantum Of Solace.)"
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,270MI6 Agent
    Odd indeed, but then it seems Sony or whoever has no say either, seeing as the song really wasn't much cop and did neither artist any real good. Imagine the absolute smash they'd have on their hands with a brilliant record and that kind of coverage. What a wasted money-making oppportunity, never mind creative one.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Sweepy the CatSweepy the Cat Halifax, West Yorkshire, EnglaPosts: 986MI6 Agent
    Looks like a 2011 release for Bond 23 :(
    207qoznfl4.gif
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,988Quartermasters
    edited March 2009

Yeah, which sucks if that turns out to be the case, but the conventional wisdom holds that the handover of the franchise from Sony back to MGM is the biggest reason for the delay X-(

Still, it's a good time for Eon to pause, and reflect on what they really want to do with their hard-earned, nicely re-tooled James Bond :007) If they take that extra year (which I hate to see, BTW!), they ought to have time to find the right screenwriter for a first draft,* spend some serious time and thought on issues such as the song (and the artist who writes/records it), the right director (and editor!!)...and make this third entry in Craig's tenure one for the ages.

* Someone who takes direction exceedingly well, is a team player, has some fresh and interesting ideas, and---most importantly---will work for the WGA minimum the first time round, saving on that precious production budget! ;) Nudge nudge, wink wink, say no more!

:D

Eon, please...give me a shot...please...
  • bluemanblueman PDXPosts: 1,667MI6 Agent
    edited March 2009
    Gotta say, I've been on the whole more pleased with the relatively rushed TND and QOS than their respective immediate - and far longer in the cooker - predecessors, GE and CR. But maybe that's problematic to what the differing goals were, establishing films versus follow-up films?

Short answer: I blame Campbell! {:) ;)

One thing for sure, EON will be hard-pressed to create a botch-up anywhere near the mess TWINE was, no matter how long they take planning 23. I do worry a bit, now that the introductory Vesper-centric character arc is completed, exactly what direction EON will go in... they've gone in so many, even lately, and I don't really have a sense that they can differentiate from one to the next when it comes to appropriate Bondian quality. I'd like to think they're doing more than throwing darts, and the last two films taken together would suggest a hopefulness as being appropriate for 23. ... but then I remember DAD, and TWINE, and the 80s, and MR... who knows, maybe we'll see Craig in space? :007) (squid! squid! but I think we'll end up getting GE version 2.0, oh well)
  • Agent WadeAgent Wade Ann ArborPosts: 321MI6 Agent
    Australia! Send the friggin' agent to bloody Australia for once! What would be so hard about getting a story that led 007 to Sydney?
  • 72897289 Beau DesertPosts: 1,691MI6 Agent
    Quoting Loeffelholz:

"* Someone who takes direction exceedingly well, is a team player, has some fresh and interesting ideas, and---most importantly---will work for the WGA minimum the first time round, saving on that precious production budget! ;) Nudge nudge, wink wink, say no more!

Eon, please...give me a shot...please..."

Wait a minute!!!!!

I'm tossing my hat in the ring for Bond 23 scriptwriter too!

But I'll be crafting a faithful and updated "Live and Let Die", and to heck with the pay. I'll do it for free and without screen credit - just for the pleasure of getting it RIGHT for once. No oo7 diddling Moneypeny and no funny Q toys, just action and adventure Fleming style!

{[]
    edited March 2009
    Well...you'll probably get the job, then. I can't afford to work for free ;%
  • 72897289 Beau DesertPosts: 1,691MI6 Agent
    Don't worry Leoff, EON probably believes in the "you gets whats ya pay for" doctrine. So I'm not likely to get a call any time soon!

;%
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    7289 wrote:
    Don't worry Leoff, EON probably believes in the "you gets whats ya pay for" doctrine.

Then he'll be out from the deal :D

EON just can't take the risk to buy a script for US$ 100,-- and get this on the screen :))
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,207Chief of Staff
    If they take that extra year (which I hate to see, BTW!), they ought to have time to find the right screenwriter for a first draft,* spend some serious time and thought on issues such as the song (and the artist who writes/records it), the right director (and editor!!)...and make this third entry in Craig's tenure one for the ages.

* Someone who takes direction exceedingly well, is a team player, has some fresh and interesting ideas, and---most importantly---will work for the WGA minimum the first time round, saving on that precious production budget! ;) Nudge nudge, wink wink, say no more!

Eon, please...give me a shot...please...

:)) Nice one, Loeff. Once you're in there, do me a favour and see if there's any vacancy (under similar conditions) in the music department... :D
    edited March 2009
    Bondtoys wrote:
    EON just can't take the risk to buy a script for US$ 100,-- and get this on the screen :))

Of course they can't, and nobody should expect them to. That would be rash, and unprofessional. Eon is neither of those things---and, fortunately for them, neither am I. That's why they need to listen to my pitch, and then read an outline/treatment of my proposed script, before we sign the paperwork...and I get busy :)

And yes, I would like screen credit---I've got a hellish day job to escape from, after all!!---although probably only as a co-writer, since they would doubtlessly bring in a Big Shot (like Haggis) for a thorough cut-and-slash rewrite...and any rewrite equalling or exceeding 50% of the finished script entitles the script doctor to a co-writing credit. I've got no problem with that!

[checking my private messages...:# so far, nothing :'( ]
  • Suave AgentSuave Agent Posts: 50MI6 Agent

I know how much work they put into Bond films and the time it takes. But the longer they wait the older Craig gets which limits the story line and his participation in the role of James Bond.

It seems that most directors have little confidence in there abilities when applying for the Bond films. I mean that is the second time a director has directed and run for the hills.
    edited March 2009
    It seems that most directors have little confidence in there abilities when applying for the Bond films. I mean that is the second time a director has directed and run for the hills.

I think it's more about the fact that a Bond film is simply an exhausting endeavour: more than a year's intensive work, with multiple units shooting round the world, tight schedules and tremendous pressure, from both within and without. CR was Martin Campbell's second Bond...but he took about a decade-long break in-between 007 projects ;)

Plus, Bond is so different from anything Marc Forster has done before...I'm sure he can't wait to do a quiet little indie film, a character piece with a six-figure budget that's shot in two rooms :))

It's more about Eon's decision-making process in seeking out directors. The best-qualified action film auteurs---guys like Tony and Ridley Scott, Spielberg, McTiernan, et al.---don't want to wear someone else's yolk round their necks. As always, it will be interesting to see who gets the gig.
  • Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent
    Loeffs, although I agree with you that in today's film world, big budget pictures and tight film schedules make for tense and exhausting work, I can't help, but remember an interview with Lucianna Paluzzi :x who commented on how much fun shooting TB was. She stated that Terence Young would be drinking champagne while directing the next scene. I always thought the relaxed atmosphere can be seen in the film, as the cast looks like they are enjoying themselves.

BTW - if you ever get the Bong gig, I volunteer to help with the female casting. :v
    edited April 2009
    ;) {[]

If I get the Bond gig, I'll be a champagne drinker :D ...but the writer is at the absolute bottom of the Hollywood food chain {:)