A first for Bond?

Craig taking a swig out of that longneck beer bottle with Felix towards the end of the film!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but have we EVER seen Bond actually drink a beer before?

Comments

• LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,988Quartermasters
    A first on film, so far as I know---and I thought it was pretty cool---but in the Fleming novels Bond was known to have a Red Stripe or two when in Jamaica...
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • bluemanblueman PDXPosts: 1,667MI6 Agent
    Good catch, red. {[]

I think Dalton might've ordered one in LTK in that dive bar, but never drank any?
  • Red IndianRed Indian BostonPosts: 427MI6 Agent
    edited April 2009
    I remember Bond ordering a Bud with a lime after Bouvier did in LTK, but I was pretty sure he didn't drink it.

I always liked it when he'd drink a beer in the novels and I love how they let him FINALLY do it in a film!

Imagine Craig in his jeans and Barracuda jacket having a martini while waiting for Felix in that place?

On a different note, I love how even during a secret interrogation M has her bourbon brought with her!

It was also nice to see him down that glass of white with Mathis. Another small touch (a bit more prevalent drinking) that is lifted from the novels!
  • Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,698MI6 Agent
    I know this is a little off topic but have any beer companies advertised for Bond movies? Seems like I vaguely remember Heineken running a commercial for Goldeneye (or maybe even Tomorrow Never Dies). Can anyone confirm this or deny it? I already know some beer appears in Bond movies, I'm just wondering if beer companies have used Bond to promote their product.

Sorry for going a little off topic.
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
  • thesecretagentthesecretagent CornwallPosts: 2,151MI6 Agent
    He orders a Bud in LTK, and also asks Alec Trevelyn to buy him a pint in GE in the opening scenes when the Ruskies burst into the chemical weapons factory.
    "Closing time James, last orders..."
    "Buy me a pint..."
    Amazon #1 Bestselling Author. If you enjoy crime, espionage, action and fast-moving thrillers follow this link:

http://apbateman.com
  • Sweepy the CatSweepy the Cat Halifax, West Yorkshire, EnglaPosts: 986MI6 Agent
    He orders a Bud in LTK, and also asks Alec Trevelyn to buy him a pint in GE in the opening scenes when the Ruskies burst into the chemical weapons factory.
    "Buy me a pint..."

I think that he was just joking in GE.
    207qoznfl4.gif
  • thesecretagentthesecretagent CornwallPosts: 2,151MI6 Agent
    "Buy me a pint..."

I think that he was just joking in GE.

Well yeah - he wasn't exactly in a position for a cold one, but his reference to a pint over a poncy martini in a frosted glass was interesting to me at the time.
    Amazon #1 Bestselling Author. If you enjoy crime, espionage, action and fast-moving thrillers follow this link:

http://apbateman.com
    Mr Martini wrote:
    I know this is a little off topic but have any beer companies advertised for Bond movies? Seems like I vaguely remember Heineken running a commercial for Goldeneye (or maybe even Tomorrow Never Dies). Can anyone confirm this or deny it? I already know some beer appears in Bond movies, I'm just wondering if beer companies have used Bond to promote their product.

Actually, I think Heineken has been on board with Bond for every picture since TND.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,060Chief of Staff
    edited April 2009
    Kingsley Amis, "The Book Of Bond" (Jonathan Cape, 1965):

"...[Bond] must never drink beer, at least in England. A Lowenbrau in Geneva, a Miller's Highlife in New York State, a couple of Red Stripes in Jamaica, as many as four steins of the local brew in Munich with an ex-Luftwaffe pilot- these are legitimate, but keep things within bounds."
  • bluemanblueman PDXPosts: 1,667MI6 Agent
    Interesting that Forster not only had the "four elements" action scenes, also had Bond partake of beer, wine, and martinis all in the same film. :007)
  • Suave AgentSuave Agent Posts: 50MI6 Agent
    Does anyone know what type of beer he orders in QOS when meeting with Felix?
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I wonder when we'll first see D Craig as Bond send back or change a bottle of wine because of its dubious qualities,Or is the beer drinking replacing this aspect of the screen character.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    edited April 2009
    I wonder when we'll first see D Craig as Bond send back or change a bottle of wine because of its dubious qualities,Or is the beer drinking replacing this aspect of the screen character.

I hold out hope of seeing a bit more of Bond's fastidious nature in future outings...but meanwhile, I sincerely doubt that Bond has become a 'beer man.' ;)
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    There's a great New Yorker article about 'extreme beer' which refers to types of beer which may not ever be regarded as beer to the average beer drinker. This article also refers to it. http://beeradvocate.com/articles/530

Although I don't love the idea of Bond drinking beer (certainly not something like Fosters), I do think that it would be interesting to see Bond drinking beer which is brewed with seaweed or something more exotic. Perhaps he could be offered it, and becomes surprised that it's actualy quite good, or something along those lines.
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Could this be another first for Bond,Just noticed tonight watching QOS Bond's wearing black jeans in the hotel assault,Can't remember seeing him in jeans before.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • dougie007dougie007 FalkirkPosts: 45MI6 Agent
    Just heard that DC will be in a mankini in the next film - is this a first in a Bond film?

I have no idea where he'll keep his PPK.
    A genuine Felix Leiter - illuminating

Live & Let Die - 1973