Shower

There's a scene in QoS (which is brilliant) which reminds me of another scene in CR.

When Bond has his arm round Camille after she's shot the general it's the same pose as in the shower with vesper in CR, only with fire instead of water.

Comments

• 72897289 Beau DesertPosts: 1,691MI6 Agent
    The hotel room scene with Camille is intended to evoke the Vesper shower scene. Bond in this instance can only comfort Camille by putting a bullet in her head rather than let her die in the fire.
  • walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
    Its not the exact pose but your dead on, it evokes the shower scene from CR. theres a nice cut between the two in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERfF-yUrhnE&feature=channel_page
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I have to admit I never liked this scene in QOS (Bond thinking about killing his leading lady and the fist time I saw it I thought he was also going to shoot himself)Escaping by luck (a falling tile exposing a hydrogen cell) rather than by his own actions (I know in the books LALD etc he did think about drowning Solitare but he didn't) The screen Bond has to always have an escape plan something heroic and hopefully something amazing to thrill an audiance.
    I know I'm going against the grain of many members who love QOS but in this scene I found for the first time in all my years of watching and reading Bond,seeing him as rather weak.An image that truly bothered me leaving the cinema.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • SeanConnery007SeanConnery007 The Bond Archive - London, EngPosts: 169MI6 Agent
    [I know I'm going against the grain of many members who love QOS but in this scene I found for the first time in all my years of watching and reading Bond,seeing him as rather weak.An image that truly bothered me leaving the cinema.[/quote]

I felt that this weakness at this point was due to the fact it did replicate the Vesper scene, Bond suddenly realises this is the second woman he has failed to save. Its a weakness induced by association of failure. But, his skill comes back into play once he realises he can save Camille. I think this is a credit to Craig's acting, but hopefully the series will continue now with a stonger and less emotional weak Bond as he has evolved into 007.
    Nobody Writes Threads Better.
  • LexiLexi LondonPosts: 3,000MI6 Agent
    This is one of my favourite scenes in QoS and I think it has every intention on being reminiscent of the shower scene of CR.

The way it was executed was excellent - and I agree, it was that moment of realisation that he could save Camille that makes it (IMHO of course :D )
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony
  • thesecretagentthesecretagent CornwallPosts: 2,151MI6 Agent
    I don't think the scene is weak. I think the scene is desperately tragic. Let's face it - everyone on this site can't just merely watch a Bond film and enjoy it. Every scene is analised to death, re-written in our heads - even to the extent of alternative timelines (the latter I find desperately sad). Here's the crunch of the Craig films. Bond appears to be human. I can think of no worse way to die than being burned alive. I have seen the aftermath of this in Bosnia and it haunts me today. Faced with burning I imagine everyone reading this would be screaming for their life - myself included. Bond keeps his head, merely realises the game took a bad turn and picks up the gun. He's resigned to shoot Camille, then himself. It's better than burning, and I don't think that's weak at all.
    Amazon #1 Bestselling Author. If you enjoy crime, espionage, action and fast-moving thrillers follow this link:

http://apbateman.com
    As i stated in my first post,Seeing Bond as weak would be unpopular as is finding a negative in QOS.But I still stand by my comments,If members want to see a realistic spy movie the Harry Palmer series is about the best there is.I watched them all many times,I watch Bond for a diffrent reason.The film Bond is larger than life and like the good Dr Jones should always stay just one step ahead of reality.
    I've never fired a gun, or served in any of the armed forces,I've never killed any animal or seen any of the Horrors of combat. If these where to be shown in true reality in a movie it wouldn't get close to a 12a cert.
    Bond is a character I've grown up with and I was really hit for six by that sceen arriving home after the viewing I found it hard to sleep,To see a character do a 180 degree emotionialy from what had gone before was hard to take in.
    In reality I agree with all that has been said by members Shooting yourself would be alot better than being burnt to death and found in the boxer position,But in the movie world of heros and baddies.IMHO I feel Bond should always have an escape route. The realistic Bond is for the novels,The movie Bond has to be larger than life,Even the J Bourne movies are a little unbelievable at times and all the better for it.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    edited April 2009
    The good news is that this era of Bond hasn't abandoned the fantastic---not at all, to my mind---they've just added a deeper weave to the tapestry; it's all good B-)

The Bond of the novels wasn't what anyone ought to call 'realistic.' It was quite fantastical, by comparison to other books out there at the time...and Cinematic Bond will never surrender the escapist foundation of his stories. To me, it's all about degrees.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,273MI6 Agent
    It certainly is about degrees. It must have been mighty hot in there.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    I think the films have taken on a dimension which fans find difficult to agree on. I liked CR and QOS a great deal. But I also love just about every other Bond film as well. However, I can't just sit down and waste a couple of hours watching them now. More so than ever I have to be in the right mood. Sometimes the old films just don't stack up. This has only happened with the current Bond. I'm thirty-eight next month, maybe I just got old all of a sudden.
    Perhaps Thunderpussy is right and Bond should always be fantastical, perhaps other films should be more realistic. Maybe that is what has kept the Bond franchise going so long. Fleming's Bond was vulnerable, perhap's Broccoli's Bond has always been less so.
    Amazon #1 Bestselling Author. If you enjoy crime, espionage, action and fast-moving thrillers follow this link:

Happy upcoming Birthday secretagent {[].I wish I was looking forward to 38 instead of waving it goodbye.I have to agree I do like the direction of the new Bond it's a big shock to my system but the series did need a kick up the backside.( It's just that scene with Bond and Camille,I simply don't like it)
    As Fleming himself said of his stories "They might be improbable but never impossible". so for Bond 23 I hope they bring back an opening stunt/action sequence pushed to the n'th degree.
    Apart from what I regard as the classics of Bond eg DN,FRWL,GF,OHMSS,TSWLM,and CR which I always try to watch straight through,The rest of the series I dip into skipping to favorite scenes or listing to the voice over track,not so much because I'm getting older but like the scene in The Omega Man with Chuck Heston,I'm watching them saying the lines.
    I've nothing against Bond being more vulnerable There have always been times in the past when this has been shown.( I'll not list them all).
    Bond for me is entertainment,very well made and with a sence of style lacking in most other movies.and he should keep on doing the improbable and stopping just short of the impossible :007)
    Cheers!

As for the opening sequence - I was pretty underwhelmed with QOS. I liked the film as a whole, but you're right - I want an pre-title sequence to blow my mind next time.

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,789MI6 Agent
    I have just re-read "Live and let die" and bond does plan to kill Solitaire if everything goes wrong. But he also plans to kill himself afterwards! The situations in LALD and QoS are simular: Avoiding a horrible death (barracudas or flames) by chosing a "better" death (drowning or a gun) for the girl and himself.
    In the Book Goldfinger instead of a lazer a circular saw is spinning towards Bonds crotch,at this point he basicly pleads for his life and offers to work for Golfinger.
    I would never like to see this filmed as written because this is something I would do, I'm a big coward and would happly plead for my life as the comedian Rich Hall sings" do what you want to the girl but don't hurt me!".It's not what I'd expect of Bond.
    The film took a diffrent approach with Bond using his guile and word play to get himself out of it.IMHO the film did a better job letting Bond get out of a sticky suitiation in a heroic way.
    As I said in my original post Bond did think about killing solitaire and himself but this was an inner monolog,( hard to do in an action film,On film you have to show what Bond is thinking by his actions)In the end he didn't need to as he had already put in place the actions needed to kill Mr Big.eg he got out of it in an heroic manner.
    I'll finish by saying alot of members like the scene with Bond and Camille. I don't With QOS I saw Bond drowning his sorrows with some heavy drinking (six vespers),Sure Bond drank heavily in the novels but he didn't drink to forget, IMHO this is a weakness of character, one which I've never seen in Bond Before add this to my dislike of the fire scene. And I have to admit I left the Cinema quite stunned seeing my once strong role model reduced to heavy drinking, self pitty and even thoughts of killing himself.
    I'm probaly going against the grain of alot of members,But isin't that the point of the forum, a mix of ideas.
    I really hope the next Bond he is less in touch with his femmine side, and adopts more of the stiff upper lip.The coldest way of killing someone is to make a gag about it seconds after.
    But this will be my last word on the subject I simply feel the film Bond is a diffrent animal to the Bond of the novels, and as Q said always have an escape route.:007)
    The shower scene in CR was avery diffrent matter with Bond as a hardened killer helping someone who was not used to his violent world coming to terms with the violence she has just witnessed.In many ways Bond is a knight returning from battle, the quality of this scene I put down to a better director who understands pace in a movie and when a tender scene should be given the time needed to play out rather than shoved in in a ten minute action sequence.
    Brosnan seems to get a bad press from alot of members but I always thought he did a very good job and my take on Bond is the scene where He and Wai Lin are caught in a side street by a helicopter whe she asks Bond "traped ?" to which he replies "Never". Over the years Bond has become a superhero, and to their credit the producers have brought Bond back to being a Human again, He gets hurt. I do welcome this But please Don't make him too human.I never want to be in a cinema looking at some action sequence with Bond driving a car etc thinking I could do that,I always want to see him doing something that no one else would think of doing.eg running across the backs of the crocs in LALD.Mabey I'm just a sad old traditionalist.But I always want to see Bond as a strong character,This is only my interpetation of the scene and I could be way of base with it ( wouldn't be the first time).:#