Forever -- the theme song that should have been of Quantum of Solace?

Hi there all,

I'm new to this board but I'm not at all new to the James Bond franchise.

Here's a great song by Eva Almer and Christian Wolf that should have been chosen for (a better) 'Quantum of Solace', but was rejected finally.

Watch it here and you be the judge

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dHcgyYUNQw

The video was created by me.

Have fun!

Comments

• Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,483MI6 Agent
    Infinately better than the tosh we finally got.
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • La VivLa Viv Posts: 7MI6 Agent
    Asp9mm wrote:

Yes, couldn't agree more.
    When is the next film due? maybe they'll choose Shakira for the opening credits :))
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    Asp9mm wrote:

well, wouldn't be almost ANYTHING better than, what we had to hear in the QoS titles?
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    Bondtoys wrote:
    Asp9mm wrote:

well, wouldn't be almost ANYTHING better than, what we had to hear in the QoS titles?

Yeah, right. If I stood on my head in the shower and sang "Pass The Dutchie" backwards, it'd still sound better.
    Maybe they should ask Snoop Dogg to do the gunbarrel theme with his tongue like in "Drop It Like It's Hot".
    Yeah, at least we'd have a laugh.
    La Viv wrote:
    Asp9mm wrote:

Yes, couldn't agree more.
    When is the next film due? maybe they'll choose Shakira for the opening credits :))

I'd take Shakira over 90% of whats out there.
    I'm willing to take her any time... B-)
    :D That's the difference between Asp9mm and me: I've already had her :D

• 72897289 Beau DesertPosts: 1,691MI6 Agent
    Very Shirley Bassey inspired.....

Theme-wise, recent Bond films can best be described as "challenged".
    Bondtoys wrote:
    :D That's the difference between Asp9mm and me: I've already had her :D

That's the difference between Bondtoys and me: I don't confuse my dreams with reality :D :v 8-) :v
    ... I meant ... in my CD collection. Tss braniac :D

• HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,737MI6 Agent
    I have to admit, it would have been a far superior selection. The melody is good enough to have been incorporated into Arnold's score. I didn't have a problem with "You know My Name" for CS and Arnold did a real nice job incorporating it into the score. The fact that the QOS theme was not incorporated into the score, tells you all you need to know. Hopefully EON will do a better job selecting the theme song for 23 and find someone who is willing to collaborate with Arnold. In the good old days of Bond scores it was easy.....John Barry wrote a theme song along with a good lyricist, went out and found a vocalist who they felt fit the song best and went on from there. Maybe they need to go back to that process.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff
    HowardB wrote:
    In the good old days of Bond scores it was easy.....John Barry wrote a theme song along with a good lyricist, went out and found a vocalist who they felt fit the song best and went on from there. Maybe they need to go back to that process.

:) Ah yes, the good old days.
    HowardB wrote:
    I have to admit, it would have been a far superior selection. The melody is good enough to have been incorporated into Arnold's score. I didn't have a problem with "You know My Name" for CS and Arnold did a real nice job incorporating it into the score. The fact that the QOS theme was not incorporated into the score, tells you all you need to know. Hopefully EON will do a better job selecting the theme song for 23 and find someone who is willing to collaborate with Arnold. In the good old days of Bond scores it was easy.....John Barry wrote a theme song along with a good lyricist, went out and found a vocalist who they felt fit the song best and went on from there. Maybe they need to go back to that process.

Even the babes looked better then.
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,737MI6 Agent
    Truth be told, after CS I thought we had returned to the good old days. The theme song was decent, albeit a bit of a departure and it fit Craig's more rough and tumble Bond persona. What really stood out for me was the masterful way Arnold incorporated the melody of "You Know My Name" into the score....given that the Bond theme was not to be used until the very end, not having a decent theme that could be referenced in the score would has been disasterous (which is the great weakness of the QOS score, which has its' moments but is rather pedestrian when compared with the CS score). The CS score is the closest Arnold has come to a Barry quality score, which IMO is high praise. I not an advocate of living in the past, but if EON would just give Arnold some good tools to work with, I believe he can deliver.
  • mrbondmrbond Posts: 296MI6 Agent
    How did you do the graphics they're great!
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    That was a bloody racket. Can you imagine the damage done to pub singers if they attempted to sing some of the notes she hits there? John Barry is still alive. Why don't Eon ask him back? Was there a falling out somewhere?
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,239MI6 Agent
    Is that rhetorical? They did ask him back for GE I understand, but he wanted £1m to do the theme I heard and they baulked... also he demanded to do the theme song (I'm more sure of this) and they said no, they wanted a mainstream popster to do that, all very well except hardly any of the Turner. Crowe, Garbage tracks have really done the business chartwise and while Madonna did get to no.1 it's widely regarded as awful.

Now Barry is disillusioned with modern Bonds, saying the old ones were classics... he says that when a Bond film comes on telly you want to know if it's an old film, otherwise it's a bit meh (my way of paraphrasing him). So he's not bothered and they have Barry-lite with David Arnold.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    Is that rhetorical?

Now Barry is disillusioned with modern Bonds, saying the old ones were classics... he says that when a Bond film comes on telly you want to know if it's an old film, otherwise it's a bit meh (my way of paraphrasing him). So he's not bothered and they have Barry-lite with David Arnold.

Cheers, I wondered why Barry hadn't been around since TLD. It would be nice if Eon gave David Arnold a break for the next one and brought somebody else in.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Given the Producers like to tie into the latest trend I think John & Edward from the x factor will do the next Theme.Their lack luster performances would be equal to the QOS theme.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    mrbond wrote:
    How did you do the graphics they're great!

Most graphics were made and/or edited with Photoshop 7.
    Animation and video editing with Vegas.
  • Shatterhand67Shatterhand67 Safe HousePosts: 424MI6 Agent
    WOW! That's a pretty catchy tune. Reminds me of the early Bond Shirley Bassey efforts. It sounds like a 1960's Bond tune. I think Another Way to Die was garbage. Funny that they are now rumored to be considering Susan Boyle because they want more of a throwback to the 60's voice.

Not only do I wish they would have gone with this one for QOS; I hope they strongly consider it for Bond 23.
    "I musht be dreaming."
  • Shatterhand67Shatterhand67 Safe HousePosts: 424MI6 Agent
    I just listened to "No Good About Goodbye" by David Arnold and Don Black and sung by Shirley Bassey. I have to say although this was excellent as well, I prefer the Eva Almer song.
    "I musht be dreaming."
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,418Chief of Staff
    I've only just listened to this track. It's okay - tries a bit too hard for me though - very good video mind.

I'm obviously alone in enjoying AWTD - it's one of my favs.
    YNWA 97
  • Dmitri MishkinDmitri Mishkin Kansas CityPosts: 333MI6 Agent
    Sir Miles wrote:
    I'm obviously alone in enjoying AWTD - it's one of my favs.

I agree. We don't need American idol spin off singers to be singing James Bond themes any longer. Vocal Pop singers were good enough for the '60s and '70s films but ever since the Dalton days I've perfected bands and real rock musicians to create the music for Bond's theme. Plus songs like AWTD and YKMN work well for the charts and sell albums.
  • blame_thatcherblame_thatcher Posts: 199MI6 Agent
    La Viv wrote:
    Here's a great song by Eva Almer and Christian Wolf that should have been chosen for (a better) 'Quantum of Solace', but was rejected finally.

Watch it here and you be the judge

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dHcgyYUNQw
    I don't really care for the song which is actually just another piece of fan-music. These Almer & Wolf characters weren't rejected as EON never heard their song in the first place.

I have heard the Bassey/Arnold song that almost certainly was Arnold's submission given that it features themes from his score and it's vastly superior to the White/Keys turkey. This is the second time a good Arnold song has been rejected in favour of a stinker by artists more likely to make $$$. There isn't a person in the known universe who doesn't agree that kd lang's Surrender should have been the main title song for TND . . . but hey, Sheryl Crow might sell more, right?
    I don't really care for the song which is actually just another piece of fan-music. These Almer & Wolf characters weren't rejected as EON never heard their song in the first place.

I see envy has brought you here as well. I really pity you.