Tom Ford Over Coat: Kazan Russia

Comments

• The Bond ExperienceThe Bond Experience Newtown, PAPosts: 5,490Quartermasters
    Yep, mine is wool as well...sorry, was looking at the lining of the label when I said two combo fabrics...very soft for wool!
  • ke02ewwke02eww USPosts: 2,063MI6 Agent
    The Mantis wrote:
    Yep, mine is wool as well...sorry, was looking at the lining of the label when I said two combo fabrics...very soft for wool!

it even tells you the washing instructions for the label!....

Wow this is some coat.....
  • toutbruntoutbrun Washington, USAPosts: 1,501MI6 Agent
    The Mantis wrote:

A virgin (wool coat) is always soft, isn't?
    If you can't trust a Swiss banker, what's the world come to?
  • InfernorhythmInfernorhythm Los AngelesPosts: 88MI6 Agent
    shaken66 wrote:
    DBS wrote:
    The weather back East certainly justifies that coat! ;) Congrats on picking one up, David! I bet the cardigan and that coat make for a warm bundle!

Now only if TF would open a store here in LA... I've heard rumblings that one is in the works. Does anyone have any info/news? The only place to purchase any TF wear here is at Neiman Marcus, and they certainly don't pull out the scotch for you there. 8-)

Kind regards,
    Craig

TF store now under construction on Rodeo Dr. $10 charge to walk by on the public sidewalk. :)) Awesome coat Mantis and one reason to wish for the return of the Ice Age here in So Cal!
    I'm sorry, I love a good coat, and I have little reason to wear my Magnoli QoS cardigan in this weather, but LA weather is so nice right now I'd hate to have an ice age. :)
    "You're both, what's the expression? Damaged goods."
  • nms75nms75 United KingdomPosts: 1,233MI6 Agent
    I have to say that is a beautiful coat - very expensive but if you have the cash then a great buy!

Anyone know how much they retail for in the UK?

NMS
    A sense of humour is no laughing matter!
  • HoldenHolden UKPosts: 664MI6 Agent
    They had it in the TF section at Harrods. It was £3100, although it wasn't the herringbone weave and it was dark (midnight) blue.
  • nms75nms75 United KingdomPosts: 1,233MI6 Agent
    While £3100 is a lot of money I must admit I thought it would have cost more.

I think I will have to stick with my £200 overcoat for now :))

NMS
    A sense of humour is no laughing matter!
  • Station ZStation Z Posts: 4MI6 Agent
    Wow, how cool is that!?!
    Seriously, I'm really jealous of you two guys. You don't seem to be too short…

It's great there are some Bond fans out there who do this stuff, wearing originals. Lucky guys, wear it with honour while walking through the streets of Russia. B-)
    "Tell me when you do. I'd like to know how it feels." :D
  • The StingerThe Stinger Posts: 36MI6 Agent
    Hmmm. I was fearing something above the 5k line; thanks a lot for the info, guys, I might consider this.

Btw, great style you both. Of course, we had all previously seen Mantis in his Madagascar outfit, so there... (and his Goldfinger one, and his CR PTS one... you get it).
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    I bought a pair of socks yesterday. Two for the price of one.

Just kidding. That's a gorgeous coat and it looks great on you. I have always had this debate (usually with myself when no one else is around to see or hear me arguing alone :() about whether designer goods are worth the money or whether the cost is entirely due to the hype of the brand name. I wouldn't buy a brand name solely because of the name, but I will always seek out quality. In some cases, the brand name and quality are synonimous and will last a lifetime (like Burberry and trench coats, Barbour and waxed jackets or Churches and shoes etc), but whether or not the price is justified, you can often see the quality of the item when it is made by a top designer. This coat is an example. The material is beautiful, the cut and finish are perfect and it would likely flatter any wearer - although it obviously looks better on The Mantis than the average person ;).
    Station Z wrote:
    Wow, how cool is that!?!
    Seriously, I'm really jealous of you two guys. You don't seem to be too short…

It's great there are some Bond fans out there who do this stuff, wearing originals. Lucky guys, wear it with honour while walking through the streets of Russia. B-)
    "Tell me when you do. I'd like to know how it feels." :D

It wasn't shot in Russia but I forgot where it was. I think it's written in the book "Bond on set".
    I wouldn't buy a brand name solely because of the name, but I will always seek out quality. In some cases, the brand name and quality are synonimous and will last a lifetime (like Burberry and trench coats, Barbour and waxed jackets or Churches and shoes etc), but whether or not the price is justified, you can often see the quality of the item when it is made by a top designer. This coat is an example. The material is beautiful, the cut and finish are perfect and it would likely flatter any wearer - although it obviously looks better on The Mantis than the average person ;).

I understand what you're saying and this is also what I believe - quality first. But the examples you gave are very questionable. I used to love Burberry two years ago but I think that 1000-2000 USD for a made in China or Bulgaria or Morocco is a rip off. The coats are well-made, but all the money goes to advertising. Burberry has so much advertising, it's insane.

Quality for me is Loro Piana or even Zegna. And as for trench coat, you should look for Aquascutum. They are about the same prices than Burberry but are made in UK. Church's are very nice shoes, that you can keep. As for Tom Ford, quality is there because Zegna does all their clothes, but the hole experience and brand is where the money truly goes.

What you buy is the James Bond coat - not just a quality coat.

But I think it is worth it for Bond items. Maybe not so much for a regular $10,000 suit.
  • The StingerThe Stinger Posts: 36MI6 Agent
    toutbrun wrote:
    It wasn't shot in Russia but I forgot where it was. I think it's written in the book "Bond on set".

I just checked; 'twas in Aldershot, England. A short flight from many of us European bondphiles. Just gotta shape up for the clothes to fit properly (and pay for them, sure).
    Someone had a very nice picture in the photo contest that looked a lot like the movie.
  • Professor DentProfessor Dent Pennsylvania USAPosts: 84MI6 Agent
    Fantastic jacket! Congrats guys.

The Bond Enthusiast | Instagram |Facebook

• The Bond ExperienceThe Bond Experience Newtown, PAPosts: 5,490Quartermasters
    Thought some of you might like to see some pix of the Tom Ford store...

1Nhxx0.jpg

And here is the tailor that worked on my coat...busy with someone's goodies...

s6y7i.jpg

Here is what you see when you go to the bathroom in the store...need to get reprints of this...

s6ACr.jpg

s6FBJ.jpg
    Again, so nice. Thanks.
  • InfernorhythmInfernorhythm Los AngelesPosts: 88MI6 Agent
    Great jacket, very...interesting pictures.
    "You're both, what's the expression? Damaged goods."
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,510Chief of Staff
    Great jacket, very...interesting pictures.

Yea...VERY interesting pictures !
    YNWA 97
  • Dmitri MishkinDmitri Mishkin Kansas CityPosts: 333MI6 Agent
    The Mantis wrote:

s6y7i.jpg

Yeah I noticed a couple weeks ago if you look up this store on google maps street view you can see that tailor up there.
    The Mantis wrote:
    Thought some of you might like to see some pix of the Tom Ford store...

1Nhxx0.jpg

s6y7i.jpg

Here is what you see when you go to the bathroom in the store...need to get reprints of this...

s6ACr.jpg

s6FBJ.jpg

You now have to buy the ties, don't you?
  • MDMMDM Posts: 7MI6 Agent
    An amazing piece of clothing. Its looks great.

May I offer a slighty cheaper version.

http://www.crombie.co.uk/p/Category_Men_Coats/A0018CTBK.htm

And being a Crombie the quality will be good.
  • 007 and a half007 and a half LondonPosts: 595MI6 Agent
    MDM wrote:

That's a bargain for a coat with such a great heritage & quality.
    edited January 2010
  • MDMMDM Posts: 7MI6 Agent
    MDM wrote:

It is.
    Ive been thinking about heading into Cardiff this weekend with my flexible friend.
  • 007 and a half007 and a half LondonPosts: 595MI6 Agent
    MDM wrote:
    MDM wrote:

It is.
    Ive been thinking about heading into Cardiff this weekend with my flexible friend.

Go for it, I don't think you'd regret buying something that will be a staple for your autumn/winter wardrobe for many years.

It would be great to see Bond wearing such traditional clothing such as Crombie, Aquascutum, Barbour etc.

Much more realistic than him wearing coats costing thousands of £'s & suits for about 10k in my opinion.
  • Sinjin SmytheSinjin Smythe Posts: 3MI6 Agent
    The name is Mantis......The Mantis

You only live once.....glad you bought it
    minigeff wrote:
    mantis arrived just after closing time at tom ford
    bush%20locked%20door.gif
    "aye baleeve that maan, aand fish can co-exist togetha, peesfullay" :))

nice pics mantis, you lucky bugger you.

ps, the leg pullings only a product of the jealousy, please dont take it seriously :D

Bush is almost wearing the same suit/shirt/tie as James Bond in the PTS QoS sequence.
  • cpoulos62cpoulos62 Station UPosts: 451MI6 Agent
    Hopefully this is not off topic but I am getting a MTM replica version of this overcoat. Just submitted my vitals and should be done in a few weeks. Obviously a little warm now where I am but ready for upcoming winter.

This is not from the usual replica makers. The cost is a fraction of the original and less of the replica makers but will post photos when it arrives for those who are interested. If it turns out close to expectations, I believe it would be an excellent value. After posting the photos, I would be happy to share the maker contacts to all interested people.
  • drum007drum007 New York, NYPosts: 684MI6 Agent
    Can you post a website link, please?
    cpoulos62 wrote:
    Hopefully this is not off topic but I am getting a MTM replica version of this overcoat. Just submitted my vitals and should be done in a few weeks. Obviously a little warm now where I am but ready for upcoming winter.

This is not from the usual replica makers. The cost is a fraction of the original and less of the replica makers but will post photos when it arrives for those who are interested. If it turns out close to expectations, I believe it would be an excellent value. After posting the photos, I would be happy to share the maker contacts to all interested people.

The Magnoli is about 800 USD and does not look like the original at all, I think it's a complete ripoff. I look forward to see yours!