Any Chance of an AJB App???

Bond_James_BondBond_James_Bond +++ Classified +++Posts: 569MI6 Agent
Would love to check through the forums any time I do not have access to my computer.

(on the train, waiting for a friend, having a smoke, sitting on the toilet ;-) Need to turn all of this into "positive time".

Any chance?
The name's Bond_James_Bond

Comments

• Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,518Chief of Staff
    Would love to check through the forums any time I do not have access to my computer.

(on the train, waiting for a friend, having a smoke, sitting on the toilet ;-) Need to turn all of this into "positive time".

Any chance?

I believe a member here has floated this idea by Si (via Facebook)...I'm not aware of any outcome though...if you are on Facebook I'd look for Si on there and mention it again to him...
    YNWA 97
  • LexiLexi LondonPosts: 3,000MI6 Agent
    Sir Miles wrote:

Any chance?

I believe a member here has floated this idea by Si (via Facebook)...I'm not aware of any outcome though...if you are on Facebook I'd look for Si on there and mention it again to him...

Yep, that is true, Sir Miles.... I have :D

I was thinking of trying to help Si with creating one... have msg him on Facebook... but nothing yet. And I can't start on this without his help....

Will keep trying... -{
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony
  • ke02ewwke02eww USPosts: 2,063MI6 Agent
    And I'll keep bumping.... 8-)

Kinda fun really.. ;)
  • 00-Agent00-Agent CaliforniaPosts: 453MI6 Agent
    I love the idea of an app! I hope you make this happen (and it works on android phones).
    "A blunt instrument wielded by a Government department. Hard, ruthless, sardonic, fatalistic. He likes gambling, golf, fast motor cars. All his movements are relaxed and economical". Ian Fleming
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,518Chief of Staff
    ke02eww wrote:
    And I'll keep bumping.... 8-)

Kinda fun really.. ;)

Like I said...find Si on Facebook and annoy the hell out of him until he produces one :))

I know whom you'd rather 'bump' with ;) {:) :D
    YNWA 97
  • CJ007GoldeneyeCJ007Goldeneye LondonPosts: 587MI6 Agent
    Good idea for the leading bond forum its wrong not to really!
  • 7700777007 Posts: 502MI6 Agent
    I don't see the need. I run this site through my iPhone 4 all the time. No problems. Other sites I frequent have the various forum apps and I never bother to run them. I don't see any benefit to using neutered mobile type forum apps.

What is it that makes some of you want an app? What phones are you using?
  • CJ007GoldeneyeCJ007Goldeneye LondonPosts: 587MI6 Agent
    Its cooler..easy instant access! Seeing theres apps for facebook, ebay, msn etc why not another one?
  • SiCoSiCo EnglandPosts: 1,371M
    It's a good idea, Lexi I sent you a message back on FB I hope you got it.

There's numerous issues with apps, like compatibility for a start and the cost of releasing an app on the Apple appstore. Otherwise a mobile skin for the site?

Offline access would be tricky as you would need to download the posts everyday before you went out (not a problem but annoying if you forget!).
    Simon
  • LexiLexi LondonPosts: 3,000MI6 Agent
    SiCo wrote:

There's numerous issues with apps, like compatibility for a start and the cost of releasing an app on the Apple appstore. Otherwise a mobile skin for the site?

Offline access would be tricky as you would need to download the posts everyday before you went out (not a problem but annoying if you forget!).

Hi Si... sorry... replied to this on the upgrade section. PM me....

(and yes, I did get your msg, just been not very active on FB recently :)) )
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony
  • ke02ewwke02eww USPosts: 2,063MI6 Agent
    SiCo wrote:

What is the cost Si?

I suspect members would be prepared to sub your costs?
    ke02eww wrote:
    What is the cost Si?
    The cost is something like $99 (I think it's per year). I'd have to check to be sure. It's not huge but something to think about. My biggest concern is cross compatibility and would a web app for a web forum be better. The web is offering offline storage these days. The only problem is it doesn't have the glitz of an app store.
    Simon
  • Bond_James_BondBond_James_Bond +++ Classified +++Posts: 569MI6 Agent
    77007 wrote:
    I don't see the need. I run this site through my iPhone 4 all the time. No problems. Other sites I frequent have the various forum apps and I never bother to run them. I don't see any benefit to using neutered mobile type forum apps.

What is it that makes some of you want an app? What phones are you using?

iPhone 4 - but it is a pain to view this forum on the web browser.

I use other forum apps and they are so much better for reading on your phone.

I cannot understand why you would not want an app?
  • 7700777007 Posts: 502MI6 Agent
    Explain the pain? I run on 3G and everything loads quick and runs smooth. My laptop collects dust while I use my phone for 99% of all my web browsing.
  • Mr BeechMr Beech Florida, USAPosts: 1,749MI6 Agent
    I want one! My iPhone is begging for more Bond.
  • Bond_James_BondBond_James_Bond +++ Classified +++Posts: 569MI6 Agent
    77007 wrote:
    Explain the pain? I run on 3G and everything loads quick and runs smooth. My laptop collects dust while I use my phone for 99% of all my web browsing.

Constantly having to zoom in on the text and buttons to select (for instance "reply").

If you are using it purely for browsing then fair enough - if you actually want to respond, add topics / pics it is a complete pain in the ar*e.
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,292MI6 Agent
    Would be cool however personally I hate mobile apps, especially the likes of eBay and Amazon etc. In the end when browsing on my iPhone or iPad I always end up using the switch to classic site option as most features are missing!!
    Instagram - bondclothes007
  • nms75nms75 United KingdomPosts: 1,233MI6 Agent
    I have used TouchBB abd TapTalk before and both worked well. This forum is not phpBB by the look of it so the former will not work with it but maybe the latter does. Such apps are usually less than a £1 or a $1 to buy and download and anyone who prefers to access the forum in their mobile browser can continue to do so. Everyone wins if an app is available that will work with the forum software without need to develop one...

NMS
    A sense of humour is no laughing matter!
    nms75 wrote:
    I have used TouchBB abd TapTalk before and both worked well. This forum is not phpBB by the look of it so the former will not work with it but maybe the latter does. Such apps are usually less than a £1 or a $1 to buy and download and anyone who prefers to access the forum in their mobile browser can continue to do so. Everyone wins if an app is available that will work with the forum software without need to develop one...

NMS

Unfortunately the forum software isn't currently compatible with either platform (otherwise it'd be easy). I have been looking and I know the software developers have too at integrating it. From my point of view it's purely a time thing and whether the pros out way the cons.

The next build of the software which I am currently working on upgrading to adds better support for mobiles in the web version. Hopefully the version after that should offer a complete mobile view for the site (i.e. but back slightly with reading and posting as the primary goals).
    Simon
  • nms75nms75 United KingdomPosts: 1,233MI6 Agent
    SiCo wrote:
    nms75 wrote:

NMS

Unfortunately the forum software isn't currently compatible with either platform (otherwise it'd be easy). I have been looking and I know the software developers have too at integrating it. From my point of view it's purely a time thing and whether the pros out way the cons.

The next build of the software which I am currently working on upgrading to adds better support for mobiles in the web version. Hopefully the version after that should offer a complete mobile view for the site (i.e. but back slightly with reading and posting as the primary goals).

That's a shame - looks like a mobile style is probably the way to go. Out of interest what is the software that is used by AJB? I use phpBB3 and have used vBulletin in the past but don't know the other systems.

NMS
    A sense of humour is no laughing matter!