How about a sense of humour?

2»

Comments

• nms75nms75 United KingdomPosts: 1,233MI6 Agent
    And on a light-hearted note I've just noticed the infamous word 'BP' has now been filtered out from my signature :)) :)) :))

Now I will have to think of something new :o
    A sense of humour is no laughing matter!
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,420Chief of Staff
    nms75 wrote:
    Ok fair enough - I think our conversation on this issue is done anyway and I hope, even if you don't agree with some (or even most) of what I have said, it helps somewhere along the life of this forum.

Thats a shame...you do seem to claim to have knowledge which you won't share...and that doesn't help us trying to stop something similar unfolding in the future...
    YNWA 97
    Sir Miles wrote:
    nms75 wrote:
    Ok fair enough - I think our conversation on this issue is done anyway and I hope, even if you don't agree with some (or even most) of what I have said, it helps somewhere along the life of this forum.

Thats a shame...you do seem to claim to have knowledge which you won't share...and that doesn't help us trying to stop something similar unfolding in the future...

I have been sharing some of my knowledge in the other thread in this sub-forum.

NMS
    nms75 wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:
    nms75 wrote:

NMS

You know very well I'm talking about the cuff-link thread...you seem very forthcoming about making accusations (and blaming AJB ) but reticent when actually backing them up...if you prefer, send me a PM and you can tell me about there...I'd certainly like to hear your views :)
    YNWA 97
    Sir Miles wrote:
    nms75 wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:

NMS

You know very well I'm talking about the cuff-link thread...you seem very forthcoming about making accusations (and blaming AJB ) but reticent when actually backing them up...if you prefer, send me a PM and you can tell me about there...I'd certainly like to hear your views :)

That's just it I am not attacking AJB - I wanted to help prevent AJB from going through such a headache. Nor am I blaming AJB but I think mistakes were made and to be fair a number of members did repeatedly raise their concerns. I am not reticent of backing things up at all - I have been open and honest.

I guess what I am now trying to say is the incident happened and perhaps the forum should look at ways of putting mechanisms into place that might help prevent a repeat in the future. Sadly that is for you guys to sort out as the management team if you wish to do so - I have shared my ideas born out of experience. Some members will think I'm talking rubbish I am sure but hey, it has worked for me so I can't be more open than that really.

NMS
    The problem was that these members raised their concerns AFTER they parted with their money...I did check the thread out early on....it was okay then...and, as said, some 'names' were on there, not only offering advice, but parting with money too...AJB had only ever a perfect reputation as far as making/selling props/replicas...and with some of the people on board - and it not interesting me as such - I left it alone...I then had a PM asking me to take a look at the thread again...I did so...and through talking to some people, some whom had paid and others that were critical....I took the decisions I did...and I still stand by them...

All I'm trying to say is...PLEASE tell me the facts as you know them because you allude to know more than you are telling me...and if you do have more information then that will help me, and AJB, in the future with items/projects such as this...if you don't have any evidence to back up your claims...then please let this matter rest....and be safe in the knowledge that I shan't forget what happend there...
    YNWA 97
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    edited January 2012
    Sir Miles, with all due respect, you are making it too complicated.

If someone lists an item to sell with his 1st to 10th post, why not delete the thread and kick him off?
    It's simply an illusion to accept this in the hope that these people engage later as normal members. Never happened, never happens. So why accept it?

I can't think of any reason, why AJB should tolerate such behavior*
    I can't count, how often I have reported such things in the past and the reaction was zero!

* Over the last years, I observe AJBs priority to cater new members - regardless what their agenda may be. The agenda is clear, when someone flogs his item with his first post imho
    On the other hand, well proven members are being bossed around by the mods and I am not only talking about myself and then I see crocodile tears about the "loss of some long-time members"

Maybe some mods are thinking about their attitude. Many things can be solved by pms and don't need to be executed (in the worst possible meaning) in public.
    We members are asked to solve problems by pm, mods seem not to fall under this category.
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    Bondtoys wrote:
    Sir Miles, with all due respect, you are making it too complicated.

If someone lists an item to sell with his 1st to 10th post, why not delete the thread and kick him off?
    It's simply an illusion to accept this in the hope that these people engage later as normal members. Never happened, never happens. So why accept it?

And Bondtoys, with respect...you are over simplifying it. Life is not black and white.

For example Charles Helfenstein came here to promte his book...he'd made a few posts but isn't a regular here and I dare say most wouldn't know whom he is...should we have deleted his post and banned him too ? He'd have lost sales and we'd have missed out on his brilliant book...what if Charlie Higson or Jeffery Deaver posted here anonymously and promoted their book in their first 10 posts...your answer is to delete their posts and to ban them ???
    AJB is a community fansite that tries to welcome all...even the members that may set off on the wrong foot...can you remember a member called Red Grant ? He got off on the wrong foot completely...and it took about a year before he started to post some great content....
    It is AJB policy to give second chances (unless certain lines have been broken) and to try and encourage good behaviour/postings/discussion - NOT to ban someone just because someone may not like them/their post/their attitude....

As for deleting posts...if we do this we can be criticised for doing so, some would prefer 100% transparancy and a message left to let members know about the deleted post...only this week I had a conversation via PM pointing this out, and they thanked me for explaining what can happen here...usually a PM should be sent to the person whom's post was deleted.
    Bondtoys wrote:
    I can't think of any reason, why AJB should tolerate such behavior*
    I can't count, how often I have reported such things in the past and the reaction was zero!

Because our agenda is to promote INCLUSION.

You have indeed reported many posts...and I can say, hand on heart, that many of them have either been discussed at MOD level or acted upon without the need for discussion. Maybe the outcome of the MOD views were different to yours and no action was taken or that person was spoken too via PM and, in a few occasions, banned. So I must refute your accusation that our reaction was zero. We just don't try and splash it all across the forum and, if you wanted an answer as to what action was/was not taken to your post report, you only need to contact a MOD for an explantion.

Bondtoys wrote:
    * Over the last years, I observe AJBs priority to cater new members - regardless what their agenda may be. The agenda is clear, when someone flogs his item with his first post imho
    On the other hand, well proven members are being bossed around by the mods and I am not only talking about myself and then I see crocodile tears about the "loss of some long-time members"

You say this as though treating new members well and trying to help and welcome them is a bad thing ?:) Without new members forums die...
    Whom is being 'bossed around by the MODS' ? Contact me via PM or by email if you prefer - you know I count you as a friend , Markus - and we have discussed similar before. And it's not 'crocodile tears' from me...I miss several posters from here...especially ASP9mm and Barbel to name but two...
    Bondtoys wrote:
    Maybe some mods are thinking about their attitude. Many things can be solved by pms and don't need to be executed (in the worst possible meaning) in public.
    We members are asked to solve problems by pm, mods seem not to fall under this category.

Maybe we have been reminded of our duties here ;)

You are right about the PM aspect but not all problems can be dealt with that way...and I honestly think it can be a good idea to have a discussion such as this on the boards from time to time so people can see what goes on here...we are accused of hiding things away and not informing the boards of certain actions and working as a dictatorship...I hope these posts show that we don't operate that way and that we try our best...maybe we are not always 100% correct, but we make the decisions we do with the best intentions.
    YNWA 97
    Sir Miles wrote:

And Bondtoys, with respect...you are over simplifying it. Life is not black and white.

For example Charles Helfenstein came here to promte his book...he'd made a few posts but isn't a regular here and I dare say most wouldn't know whom he is...should we have deleted his post and banned him too ? He'd have lost sales and we'd have missed out on his brilliant book...what if Charlie Higson or Jeffery Deaver posted here anonymously and promoted their book in their first 10 posts...your answer is to delete their posts and to ban them ???
    AJB is a community fansite that tries to welcome all...even the members that may set off on the wrong foot...can you remember a member called Red Grant ? He got off on the wrong foot completely...and it took about a year before he started to post some great content....
    It is AJB policy to give second chances (unless certain lines have been broken) and to try and encourage good behaviour/postings/discussion - NOT to ban someone just because someone may not like them/their post/their attitude....

As for deleting posts...if we do this we can be criticised for doing so, some would prefer 100% transparancy and a message left to let members know about the deleted post...only this week I had a conversation via PM pointing this out, and they thanked me for explaining what can happen here...usually a PM should be sent to the person whom's post was deleted.

crap forum software was eating my comment entirely, now I hav to write it again later.

Sir Miles,

not sure, if it gets boring to reply to all of this in full, so, I'll cut your comments and reply step by step.

Sir Miles wrote:

My reply is yes! If someone comes up here and starts by selling his stuff here at first - kick them off.
    Regardless who it is!
    That's selfish behavior and there are a lot of forums out there who act exactly like this!

Before I have been posting, I read all 27 posts by Charles Helfenstein.

I admire his book, but if you look at his posts, you'll see more than 10 posts promoting his book and the upcoming of promotions and other countries.

You'll also see some comments, that he owns serveral pieces, but he does not give further infos, even after being asked for.
    Then I see some ebay threads and some threads, where he compliments others - like every average salesman will do.

So, I'd say, that he mostly promotes his own stuff here and he would certainly understand, if a mod or Sico would approach him after the first post and tell him, that that's not possible - but he's welcome to contribute with an article about his book as a first post for example.

My parents told me, that if I am going somewhere new, I am not putting my shoes on the table and unwrap my goods to sell. That's called good behavior and if someone does not have them - show him the door.

Additionally, I learnt in primary school, that if I have to criticize someone, I have to deal with the person between "4 eyes".
    Analogy to the recently closed thread: Why is it necessary to criticize some comments in public and close the thread? Why not contact Geff or Pete or me via email and ask to calm down?

I have tried to solve my beef with M5 via pm for exactly that reason, but he refused to talk with me.
    Now I refuse to talk to him and feel free to criticize him in public - against my values I must say.

Now all other approaches to flog ebay auctions could be moved to the ebay section and the thing is done.

Not rocket science - simple and clean.

No, Bondtoys...this doesn't bore me...

Again it's about INCLUSION...not just kicking someone off because you feel like it...and I don't want AJB to run along the lines of those "other forums" you mention then if that is the case...AJB has managed to last over a decade so far operating this way...if we ban every new member that posts a link to or advertises some BOND RELATED ITEM - on a Bond forum no less ! - then there won't be an AJB for very long...your own signature advertises your website with items for sale, I'm not sure when you addded that - was it before your first 20 posts or so ? If it was...you would be banned by your own rules :s

Personally - I have no problem with someone coming here and alerting AJB members to a Bond related item they have or have seen for sale...even with their first post...and when people chastise them for doing so...well, they are hardly likely to become valued members and post more often are they ?
    As for Charles ? He posts on another forum, so I guess he shows his stuff there...I don't know him but I know of him...and his reputation is such that I'm happy for him to share his book with us.

I understand your point about contacting people via PM and asking them to calm down....I guess in this instance it was put on the forum to alert the whole board to this so we don't have to repeat it over and over...sometimes it can be a time constraint too...it's not perfect, but workable..

Ebay auction threads are usually closed or moved to the ebay thread....so I'm not sure of your point there :s

Rocket science is easy...it's getting the thing back in one piece that can be the trouble :v
    YNWA 97
    I have strong doubts, if it's ok to treat a certain person just because he is who he is.
    I strongly believe in treating people equally and if you tread Helfenstein differently just because he is, you'll get into trouble.

As for closing the thread and it being workable:

Look at the mess, that has been created: MG said, that he takes a break, Danjaq off deleted all his pics which does tremendous harm to the community and words are escalating now because M5 is trying to keep his "face" with all this nonsense. As far as I know Pete, he's seriously considering to quit and all M5 (and he has no clue what really goes on in the Mem & Coll section) is doing what he does best:

Escalate things instead of being the voice of reason.

Congratulations to everyone, that really worked well!

Of course you treat people differently as to whom they are and how they behave...its stupid to say you don't...you wouldn't treat your mother the same as a mass murderer !
    And how am I going to get into trouble ? You are being over dramatic in the extreme.

So you are telling me to ban people one minute and then don't close threads the next ! You need to look at your ideas again. Of course its workable....if you want it to be...you quite obviously don't want it to work...and that's because of your gripe with M5....no other reason than that...you admitted as much a couple of posts back...
    I'm sorry Pete has taken that action...I spoke to him last night...I hope he changes his mind...

I noticed you didn't answer me as to when you added your online store to your signature :v
    YNWA 97
    Where and what did I admit regarding M5?
    You know well my gripe with him, I have repeated it several times, so, I am asking myself how you come to another conclusion.

As for treating people equally: We are talking about newcomers here on the board. on an internet forum. And there, everyone should be equally treated

As for my signature: It's not possible for me to go back into old pms as everything has been deleted some time ago (remember..?)

Everything I remember is, that I have been a long standing member when Remmert created the banner. I am VERY sure, that I did not start with ANY banner when I was new here and if there is a problem with it, I'll delete it right away.

• danjaq_0ffdanjaq_0ff The SwampsPosts: 7,283MI6 Agent
    Please everyone stop this, we have to face facts, the rule have changed, ok it might not be the jolly place it was, but it is what you make of it.

I hate all of this bickering, Markus, Paul you are both my friends, stop, the MODs are the bosses at the end of the day,what they say goes, wrong or not, rules is rules :D

I have no intention of leaving, Im just not sharing pics anymore, I will be taking a back seat as I can't and won't change my personality.

all I can say is, look at the most popular place on this forum, even through the dead period of no movie, you guys just killed that.
    Markus....you know very well what you posted about M5 a couple of posts ago...and how you feel free to criticize him at every opportunity....don't play stupid...as I know you are not.

Treating people equally on a forum....?...hang on - YOU want them banned if in their first 20 posts they try and sell something - how is THAT treating them equally ??? Markus, your point/argument contradicts itself ! Either you want people treated equally or you don't - you seem to want people treated equally that agree with you only. So which is it ? Equality or do you admit to being wrong ?

Your signature isn't a problem...its your argument that it contravines that's the problem.

If I were you I'd stick to rocket science :))
    YNWA 97
    edited January 2012
    Paul,

please don't put somehting in my words or in my mind, which was not there:
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Markus....you know very well what you posted about M5 a couple of posts ago...and how you feel free to criticize him at every opportunity....

That's what I have said:
    Bondtoys wrote:
    Additionally, I learnt in primary school, that if I have to criticize someone, I have to deal with the person between "4 eyes".

I have tried to solve my beef with M5 via pm for exactly that reason, but he refused to talk with me.
    Now I refuse to talk to him and feel free to criticize him in public - against my values I must say.

It was to explain, why I am criticising him in public when having the ideal of the "4 eyes" principle on disagreements.

Let me make it very clear: I don't like his attitude and think, that he has "almighty" problems. The meter-maid comparison fitted things very well imo.
    And it was hilarious as well :D

And because of this attitude, things went on the clapperboard thread like they have been.
    If I was to criticize him on every occasion like you say, I would not have waited so long :v

Coming back to first-time posters: Registering and selling immediatley is disrespectful, selfish and very bad behavior imo.
    We can discuss, if simply deleting the thread with an explanation my a mod is sufficient or, if we must ban the person.

But it's still bad behavior and should cause some action.

danjaq_0ff wrote:
    Please everyone stop this, we have to face facts, the rule have changed, ok it might not be the jolly place it was, but it is what you make of it.

I hate all of this bickering, Markus, Paul you are both my friends, stop, the MODs are the bosses at the end of the day,what they say goes, wrong or not, rules is rules :D

I have no intention of leaving, Im just not sharing pics anymore, I will be taking a back seat as I can't and won't change my personality.

all I can say is, look at the most popular place on this forum, even through the dead period of no movie, you guys just killed that.

Hi Pete,

first off...the rules haven't changed per se....they are just being enforced a little more...it's all about degrees...

You must believe me when I say I'm not bickering with Markus...we are merely exchanging viewpoints...we are both grown ups whom can have a conversation, expressing differing views...but we still respect each other and don't take it too personally...well, I don't :))

And it's not really the MODS rules...they are Si's rules...we are just here to try and help implement them....

Good...don't leave...I certainly don't want you to do so...neither do I want minigeff taking a back seat either...these are my views...

Hey...don't forget I want pics..I always want pics :))
    YNWA 97
    Markus,

I don't have to put words in your mouth....you typed them all by yourself...and you even quote them...and you DO criticise him at every opportunity....honest you do, hand on heart !
    Bondtoys wrote:
    Coming back to first-time posters: Registering and selling immediatley is disrespectful, selfish and very bad behavior imo.

How is that treating everybody equally ? :s That's just condeming someone by their first post.
    YNWA 97
    Hand on heart - I dont!

I left him alone the last 2 years and I really have no idea how you could think that way.

• danjaq_0ffdanjaq_0ff The SwampsPosts: 7,283MI6 Agent
    Sorry SirMiles, I intend never to share pics on here again, everything will be listed on an external site from now on. if we make a run available to ajb members, then that will also be an external link -{

Sir Miles wrote:
    danjaq_0ff wrote:

Hi Pete,

first off...the rules haven't changed per se....they are just being enforced a little more...it's all about degrees...

You must believe me when I say I'm not bickering with Markus...we are merely exchanging viewpoints...we are both grown ups whom can have a conversation, expressing differing views...but we still respect each other and don't take it too personally...well, I don't :))

And it's not really the MODS rules...they are Si's rules...we are just here to try and help implement them....

Good...don't leave...I certainly don't want you to do so...neither do I want minigeff taking a back seat either...these are my views...

Hey...don't forget I want pics..I always want pics :))
    Bondtoys wrote:
    Hand on heart - I dont!

I left him alone the last 2 years and I really have no idea how you could think that way.

Really ? You have hardly been here the last couple of years...neither has M5....so whose heart have you got hold of ? :v

That's why I think that way...because it's true.
    YNWA 97
    danjaq_0ff wrote:
    Sorry SirMiles, I intend never to share pics on here again, everything will be listed on an external site from now on. if we make a run available to ajb members, then that will also be an external link -{

Ok, fair enough I suppose -{
    YNWA 97
    edited January 2012
    Sir Miles wrote:

Really ? You have hardly been here the last couple of years...neither has M5....so whose heart have you got hold of ? :v

That's why I think that way...because it's true.

Sir Miles.
    First of all, you should trust me, when I give you infos "hand on heart" and it was mine - still pumping... :v

Secondly: Maybe you get your records straight (and where your "truth" is based on):
    After my 1 year "sabbatiacal" (I left november 2009), I can safely say, that I have been pretty actice: ~1260 posts* !!
    Based on: http://ajb007.co.uk/search/538168538/page/43/

M5 posted only 150 posts - so I agree that he's not been here that often (not that I missed him...). But still plenty of occasions to get on him, if I would have wanted to - which I didn't (want and do).

* I am aware that sheer quantity does not necessarily correspond with quality :v (particularly in my case...) but we are measuring simple activity here, don't we

Sir Miles wrote:

Hi Pete,

I totally agree!
    I don't take Sir Miles' posts personally and enjoy the debate with him - even sometimes we are miles (pun...) away.

-{ Sir Miles

Come on Bondtoys we know you Germans don't have a heart...it's all Vorsprung durch Technik with you :))

I don't have the time...and seriously can't be bothered anyway...but it would be interesting to know just how many of M5's 150 posts you actually saw....

Ah well, we obviously don't agree.....but you Germans just love being wrong :p

:D
    YNWA 97
    So you admid that your statement about me being inactive the last 2 years was totally wrong?
    Good.

I havent seen many of his posts, but if I wanted to criticize him on every occasion like you say: the forum search would have helped.

And his recent explanation about keeping the board tickung would give enough material for a critique- if I would be so keen to criticize him on every occation like you say.

I dont say that I am always right but doubting my statement ' hand on heart' is not correct and I gave you several reasons now.

Or is it, that all Ajb mods regard themselfs as unfailable and almighty :v

Bondtoys wrote:
    So you admid that your statement about me being inactive the last 2 years was totally wrong?

I admid nothing of the sort :p
    Bondtoys wrote:
    I havent seen many of his posts, but if I wanted to criticize him on every occasion like you say: the forum search would have helped.

Maybe not...you don't get to see everything we may post :007)

Bondtoys wrote:
    Or is it, that all Ajb mods regard themselfs as unfailable and almighty :v

Nope...just me :D
    YNWA 97
  • SiCoSiCo EnglandPosts: 1,371M
    Just to chime in here (and apologise for not being around), I have read everything and feel totally overwhelmed with it all! I will be addressing issues slowly.

I believe this topic in itself is now going slightly off topic and has veered from the original view points. It does however seem to have come to an end.

I will state that I do not want to lose anyone over what has happened and I do feel we can make things right (first we must work out what is right!). At the end of the day it's for the good of the forum as a whole, not any one individual member. Individual members make the forum but we must live under the same roof.

I will not close this topic but I will be starting a new one to resolve this issues and will not be posting (or recommending anyone else posts) in this topic any more.
    Simon