minigeff, Clapperboards & Comments

Comments

• Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,420Chief of Staff
    nms75 wrote:
    Whoa whoa here guys! SINCE WHEN is it ok for Moderators to make these kind of comments towards members? This is terrible behaviour and totally unacceptable! I think some apologies are required.

DISGUSTING!

NMS

nms75...

Please PM me about this comment...nothing sinister...just trying to help.
    YNWA 97
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    ics wrote:
    True predator…nothing is easy :s

But I have just read that UK law on copyright is much lower than in EU… for instance there have been several cases of Danes buying copy designer furniture (Danish design – you know) made and sold in UK – and that was legal…

In this case we are “showing our one of a kind prop – replica” with no intention to sell… this is NO violation of copyright and licence or patents…

(but in principal this legal issue is not the real issue on the problem on ajb, but I think it is vital to get it clear)

Ian, I think, that Predator is right.

It may be not a problem owning a replica item - and most possible to show it off.

But producing more than 1 of it and getting money for it (no matter, if he's loosing money on the deal or not) is delicate.

@nms: Interesting question that you raise. I just wanted to point out, that this kind of behaviour is not acceptable to me - no matter if it's from a mod to a member or vice versa.
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • nms75nms75 United KingdomPosts: 1,233MI6 Agent
    Bondtoys wrote:
    @nms: Interesting question that you raise. I just wanted to point out, that this kind of behaviour is not acceptable to me - no matter if it's from a mod to a member or vice versa.

Agreed! I was shocked at this behavior from some forum staff members - totally unexpected and unacceptable in my view.

While I know I have said this before I sadly see that I will be leaving this forum due to this.

A very sad day for AJB when this sort of thing happens :(
    A sense of humour is no laughing matter!
    Bondtoys wrote:
    If a moderator feels that action is better "executed" in public instead of giving a friendly warning via pm and/or discussiing things in civil and private then he should think about how he may have started as a fan like you say :v

Check your PM's.... ;)
    YNWA 97
  • icsics Posts: 1,413MI6 Agent
    Markus…

As I read it was not about money etc…we all know it was a “no go”… I read it more like “can we show photos of our creations on a public forum” – and as I read the law – “yes” as long as it is “one of a kind”…

Lets take an example – I go to a cinema showing a bond movie – I take a photo of there poster and post it on abj… on the photo there is a “bond logo” – is that legal to post YES… I go home and make a drawing of the poster – is that legal YES – may I sell it – NO – may I show it “YES”….
    P.s still waiting for the apologies from moderators nms… but they wont..
    Miles why PMsss – we need this in the open forum
    ics wrote:
    P.s still waiting for the apologies from moderators nms… but they wont..

Aye, you are rigt there - I am not holding my breath for any apologies :)) :o

NMS
    ics wrote:
    Miles why PMsss – we need this in the open forum

Because that's the way I do it...

This thread was started to keep things out in the open - and I've done things that way before - but just look at what has happened :# Some things are better discussed in private. If you wish, send me a PM and we can discuss certain points too...before bringing them to the wider audience.
    YNWA 97
    Miles – exactly – this thread was created to have it in the open air…and I can understand the need for PMs, but do you have to telll – it just makes you look like a hypocrite.. -{

But the again miles what do you think of Alex comment as a moderator – not very charming :D
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    nms75 wrote:
    Bondtoys wrote:

Agreed! I was shocked at this behavior from some forum staff members - totally unexpected and unacceptable in my view.

While I know I have said this before I sadly see that I will be leaving this forum due to this.

Sorry you feel this way, but one of our jobs as AJB mods is to protect AJB. A few years ago this site was nearly taken down by EON itself for posting excerpts from a Bond script; and one of their conditions for allowing us to continue is that we not post EON-owned images. Imagine what they'd do if we allowed members to sell non-licensed replicas from the films? In short, it's not all about you.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • PredatorPredator Posts: 790Chief of Staff
    ics wrote:
    As I read it was not about money etc…we all know it was a “no go”… I read it more like “can we show photos of our creations on a public forum” – and as I read the law – “yes” as long as it is “one of a kind”…

Lets take an example – I go to a cinema showing a bond movie – I take a photo of there poster and post it on abj… on the photo there is a “bond logo” – is that legal to post YES… I go home and make a drawing of the poster – is that legal YES – may I sell it – NO – may I show it “YES”….

Actually, you are NOT allowed to photograph their poster in exactly the same way you are not allowed to take a photograph of the film or make an audio recording ... that is Copyright infringement (with or without a trademark being in place)

Are you allowed to go home and draw the poster? Yes, but you must be careful if you are using their registered trademark should you wish to publish that drawing (with or without money changing hands). For instance, were you to caricature the trademark following your publication of it, then there could be a lot of trouble.

Now ... you guys have had the benefit of my experience and unfortunately I cannot invoice you all for this consultancy. I hope you'll forgive my returning to my Intellectual Property lair
    Hard… thanks for the history that I already know… but the questing is still “we are not selling illegal props” – we are aloud to make “one of kind prop” .
    As you know FE are monitoring ajb – do they have a problem – not what I have heard
    pred...“but if I buy a JB DVD I am aloud to make a copy to my self and I can take photos of it etc”… it is not strait forward – and in many ways are props a artistic view… many props in life a “not real” working pieces
    edited January 2012
    Hello Ian,

I am in touch with Sir Miles and I regard him as a friend - even he sometimes has strange points of view :D

If we are talking about the clapperboard, it was not a one-off - unfortunately. It was a great project and a nice idea from Jeff. Infact it was so good, that I did not think about potential problems re. copyright - I would have warned him (in private).

Additionally I think, that the issue is not, if FE has a problem. The owners are trying to protect the page from getting EON or FE to consider it being a problem, so their concern is precaution and that's ok imo.

As interesting the entire copyright thing is, let me remind everyone, that the thread which we are talking about was clearly not closed because of the copyright issue.

ics wrote:
    pred...“but if I buy a JB DVD I am aloud to make a copy to my self and I can take photos of it etc”… it is not strait forward – and in many ways are props a artistic view… many props in life a “not real” working pieces

Depends where you are and to what extent. Where I sit (the UK), I can't by law. Some countries now allow copying media for personal archive reasons alone, but you certainly couldn't then take a screenshot and post it here - if anyone has done that (without permission from Eon/Danjaq), please let a Mod know.

As for props, it doesn't matter whether the prop is working or not (although we have completely different laws about working Walther PPKs in the UK - actually replicas are not allowed either I believe - this is not my area of expertise however). With counterfeit goods, the act of selling is often the key criterion, but not the only one. This is bound up within copyright and trademark laws, so simply posting images might have other implications.

I do not want to stop people enjoying their hobby (in fact none of the AJB team want this), we simply need confirmation that members have the legal ability to do so if they are going to post pictures that contain these items. If you don't, don't make it public. If you do, have a word with us offline - as the previous pages will attest, it's not a simple matter.
    Markus I now the Jeff clipboard thread, and I personal don’t think you have copyright on a clipboard (I know it is borderline)… I my mind this is a witch hunt…

Pred – are you suggesting to PM a moderater every time we post a photo ??? that is madness.

I know that UK law is special but in the rest of UK – it is aloud.
    You're very good at arguing aren't you! I was specifically talking about the prop "homages" in that case - if you have doubts about whether a particular thread or sale is allowed on the site, you should contact a moderator first. That's a common courtesy I would have thought? In general, we allow things according to the Rules of the site - thus, in this case: legal = allowed.

Regarding photos, I am asking you (and all other members) to simply be careful when posting images. If they are taken from a film or contain a registered trademark or you don't have permission to reproduce it, then don't.

A photograph is a copy - do you have the right to copy it?

Please let me know by PM if you don't understand any part of this.
  • minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
    edited January 2012
    Predator wrote:
    I do not want to stop people enjoying their hobby (in fact none of the AJB team want this), we simply need confirmation that members have the legal ability to do so if they are going to post pictures that contain these items. If you don't, don't make it public. If you do, have a word with us offline - as the previous pages will attest, it's not a simple matter.

Well thats the final nail in the coffin then isn't it?

Let me just make a basic statement.

In light of recent events, the Skyfall clapperboard idea is now cancelled. There will be no clapperboards sent out, for profit or free. Its over, finished, the clapperboards have been binned and the plastic will be recyled as a rather natty place-mat set for my dinner table.

I will not be posting anymore pictures of work i'm doing, I will not be offering anything for sale. I will not post pictures of work in progress, past work or mention anything i might have planned for my own personal collection.

I've deleted my imageshack account so all my images have now gone from ajb, and I'll not be working with or assisting anyone else in any way shape of form.

For me, without being able to mention or show props, ajb is pretty much pointless. I can't afford aston martins or tom ford suits, i don't see me reading the novels any time soon and i just don't think the powers that be get my sense of humour.

Such a shame cos I was so enjoying my involvement with ajb.

I've met and got to know a great number of people during my time here, thanks to all of them for the experience.

MG -{

** COULD ANY MOD PLEASE COPY AND PASTE THIS INTO THE CLAPPERBOARD THREAD PLEASE, I WOULD BUT ITS BEEN LOCKED **
    'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
    Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    ics wrote:
    Miles – exactly – this thread was created to have it in the open air…and I can understand the need for PMs, but do you have to telll – it just makes you look like a hypocrite.. -{

Whay am I a hypocrite ?

And it's Sir Miles when you address me :D
    YNWA 97
    Pre--- I will not PM as I think everything should be open so everybody can lean..

So essence what you are saying:

No selling

Think twice about posting photos.

But this doesn’t answers Jeffs question… can we show photos of our creations like for instance my buddy Henrik:

The_DOVE.jpg
    minigeff wrote:
    Predator wrote:

In light of recent events, the Skyfall clapperboard idea is now cancelled. There will be no clapperboards sent out, for profit or free. Its over, finished, the clapperboards have been binned and the plastic will be recyled as a rather natty place-mat set for my dinner table.

I will not be posting anymore pictures of work i'm doing, I will not be offering anything for sale. I will not post pictures of work in progress, past work or mention anything i might have planned for my own personal collection.

I've deleted my imageshack account so all my images have now gone from ajb, and I'll not be working with or assisting anyone else in any way shape of form.

For me, without being able to mention or show props, ajb is pretty much pointless. I can't afford aston martins or tom ford suits, i don't see me reading the novels any time soon and i just don't think the powers that be get my sense of humour.

I've met and got to know a great number of people during my time here, thanks to all of them for the experience.

MG -{

** COULD ANY MOD PLEASE COPY AND PASTE THIS INTO THE CLAPPERBOARD THREAD PLEASE, I WOULD BUT ITS BEEN LOCKED **

I take it that you don't have the legal ability to post these then? In which case, many thanks for confirming.
    Predator wrote:
    minigeff wrote:
    Predator wrote:

MG -{

I take it that you don't have the legal ability to post these then? In which case, many thanks for confirming.

I'd say I have more ability to than others, but to be on the safe side, as thats how you would like people to behave, I've decided to end my involvement with ajb.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    Jeff,
    please think about that again, mate.

I understand that you are upset that this project has been finished but I also understand Sicos and HB's fear that the page is getting closed by this.

Remember the cufflink thread? This had the same - maybe higher potential to damage the site.

We need you as the Quartermaster on AJB and I am sure, that we find a way to embed your activities into a legally ok manner.

That aside, I need you to give Pete some very deserved banter in the future.
    Don't leave the board, I have realized that leaving here 2 years ago was wrong. Leaving doesn't make things better.

thank you markus, thats kind of you to say.

i've pulled the clapperboard thread as i thought it the best thing to do in the circumstances. i'm not particularly upset that i've cancelled it, but the board features both the 007 logo and 'skyfall' written on it. because of this it wouldnt be wise to let it go, even for free.

i'm not pi$$ed of at the mods, they're covering their arse, thats lifes. sadly theres always someone out there waiting to screw you, and si and the board of mods are looking out for themselves AND the forum as a whole. i think the work they do, and the advice and guidence they give is at least generous, and at most extremely helpful and sensible.

no-one wants ajb to close, and si et co are simply working to avoid this from happening.

i'll stick around for now, see how the dust settles.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    minigeff wrote:
    I'd say I have more ability to than others, but to be on the safe side, as thats how you would like people to behave, I've decided to end my involvement with ajb.

Perfectly understandable, although I am sad that you feel that the rules of the site make you want away.

And at least we were thorough in establishing the situation and thanks for your understanding.
    minigeff wrote:
    i'll stick around for now, see how the dust settles.

After Predator's common sense here the second pleasant news here today.

Glad that you have changed your mind, Jeff! {[]

Bondtoys wrote:
    After Predator's common sense here the second pleasant news here today.

Glad that you have changed your mind, Jeff! {[]

i'd miss your brockwurst too much darling. besides, i never left... :p

if i can, i want to help resolve this crap. obviously we need to keep a level head, avoid the name calling and bickering and concentrate on the important matter of finding a way to progress forward and keep everyone on the right side of any laws.

maybe a simple disclaimer, you post pics at your own risk could solve some issues? with the amount of posts and conversations going on each and everyday, can and is si et co actually be repsonsible for all whats said?

it might not be their headache to deal with in the long run anyways. just a thought like.

its a little ironic that i only really did the clapperboards to increase prop interest :)) back to the drawingboard...
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    Hardyboy wrote:
    nms75 wrote:
    Bondtoys wrote:

Sorry you feel this way, but one of our jobs as AJB mods is to protect AJB. A few years ago this site was nearly taken down by EON itself for posting excerpts from a Bond script; and one of their conditions for allowing us to continue is that we not post EON-owned images. Imagine what they'd do if we allowed members to sell non-licensed replicas from the films? In short, it's not all about you.

Oh I agree! You might find we sing from the same hymn sheet believe it or not! I for one was genuinely worried about Mac's infamous cufflinks and breach of copyright and the potential wrath of S.T. Dupont's legal department - yet my concerns were ignored by the forum staff! Now you want to enforece this??? The issue has been members having a laugh with each other and certain members of the forum staff have decided they don't like this, been heavy handed and when challenged about it have acted in a way that I find unacceptable for people in your position.

You say its not all about me! True, again I agree with you! However, have a good read through a number of posts on this forum and you will see it ISN'T just about me but a number of members who quite frankly have a good point!

Bottom line certain members of the forum staff have done a bad job - yet there is no acknowledgement of this but rather an assault in certain members of this board who have actually made it a good place to be. You guys need to look at yourselves before normal members because you are, quaite frankly, way of the mark where you should be.

Stop finding fault in us and sort your own issues out first!

NMS
    Bondtoys wrote:
    We need you as the Quartermaster on AJB

I totally agree, MG has significantly contributed to this board in many positive ways and I for one would actually like to see him recognised! :)

NMS
    nms75 wrote:
    I for one was genuinely worried about Mac's infamous cufflinks and breach of copyright and the potential wrath of S.T. Dupont's legal department - yet my concerns were ignored by the forum staff! NMS

Mmmm...whom did you personally contact about your worries on this issue..?...

I was alerted to the thread by Bondtoys....
    YNWA 97
    Sir Miles wrote:
    nms75 wrote:
    I for one was genuinely worried about Mac's infamous cufflinks and breach of copyright and the potential wrath of S.T. Dupont's legal department - yet my concerns were ignored by the forum staff! NMS

Mmmm...whom did you personally contact about your worries on this issue..?...

I was alerted to the thread by Bondtoys....

At first I was all for Mac's project, it seemed another good AJB project that could have resulted in some nice items and I wouldn't have said no to these cufflinks if they had turned out to be what they were promised to be. However, I became critical of the project when things were going pear-shaped and Mac's attitude was one of arrogance. By this time, to be fair, the Mods (you?) were onboard and had posted in the thread so you were aware of it. I decided to keep things public in that thread and followed that course of action. Not everyone will like me or my opinions but I am open and honest if nothing else.

Looking back perhaps I should have sent a PM to SiCo but at the time it posting in the thread seemed to be the right thing to do.

I have no regrets and I hope at least some members will remember I was concerned for both the board and members who had handed over cash. I was just frustrated that I felt I wasn't being listened to.

NMS