Hi and DB5 gear knob question.

Hi all,

Im currently working with someone else to make a replica of the DB5 ejector seat gear knob but need some advice on what to use for the flip top hinge. Does anyone know what was used on the original gear knob?

There are some reasonable pictures out there of it but its something i dont recognise. I was recently pointed towards repro
mini gear knobs to use as a base so will see how that turns out. Any help on this would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Comments

• minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
    From what I recall, the db5 gear knob is a custom made job. The hinge looked integral to the design, so that from the outside there's no ugly hinge on show. (well you wouldn't want to give anything away to the hired Chinese goon)

The inside of the cap looks turned aluminium to me.

If I were doing it, I'd buy in Ali round bar and turn it from scratch.

MG -{
    'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
    Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • Mr WebberMr Webber AustraliaPosts: 114MI6 Agent
    Thanks for that. We are definately doing a fully scratch made version, Ali is a good option BTW.The mini knob is very close to the DB5 gear knob in dimensions apart from the top we are told so this is just for scale. Its very hard to lay your hands on an original DB5 unit and i cant find repros anywhere. To keep true to the original it would be fairly essential to use the same style hinge if it can be found. I have a couple of mates who want one for their stick shifts already.
    I plan to make a replica of the entire gear stick with leather boot and small section of grey carpet as a display piece, maybe even the armrest full of controls.
    There is no hinge to buy as such, it's machined into the body and cap.

Displaying a full size gear knob, with stalk, with rubber boot, carpet, AND console must mean you have a large display cabinet and a very understanding mrs. :))
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    Cabinet not so much but yes, the GF`s very understanding, still cant get her head around why i built a 1:1 Spinner roof light set up though. 8-)
    There is something performing a hinge function between the lid and the rest of the knob , just dont know what they used, looks like a brass something with three ridges. The main aim is to use what the production company used if at all possible.
  • bondpropfanbondpropfan Southern UKPosts: 288MI6 Agent
    hi

been to beaulieu again....

you owe me one.. :))
    P1020079.jpg
  • OPERATION.GRANDSLAMOPERATION.GRANDSLAM Posts: 1MI6 Agent
    Dear Mr Webber
    Quite new to these forums but here goes
    With regard to your question about the DB5 gearknob
    I have made some of these gearknobs to roughly the same spec as original
    The original car was in fact a kind of db4 which had a 4 speed box
    so this would show on the gearknob top.
    The db5 had a five speed zf box which i have replicated on the top of my gearknobs
    Also the zf box was german not british and in 1964 even the germans were using metric so the thread has to be 10mm to fit correctly onto the gearstick
    These replicas are made of solid plastic which i find stronger than the original resin ones.
    The hinge is integral and flips up to reveal a small red button that can be depressed
    so one could wire this up to the horn and give a great surprise to all who dought your words
    " What ever you do, don't push this button"
    The price is £150 each + P&P and i only had 12 made
    A lot of R&D went into these so this reflects the price
    Hope this helps yourself and others
    Regards
    OPERATION.GRANDSLAM
    Mr Webber wrote:
    Hi all,

Im currently working with someone else to make a replica of the DB5 ejector seat gear knob but need some advice on what to use for the flip top hinge. Does anyone know what was used on the original gear knob?

There are some reasonable pictures out there of it but its something i dont recognise. I was recently pointed towards repro
    mini gear knobs to use as a base so will see how that turns out. Any help on this would be appreciated.

Cheers.
  • 007storm007storm The NetherlandsPosts: 345MI6 Agent
    hi

been to beaulieu again....

you owe me one.. :))
    P1020079.jpg

In the movie the knob was red according to my recollection. -{
    My James Bond Collection:
    Antens007Archive
    Believe the db4 mkIII had an optional 'overdrive' in addition to the 4 speed forward gears.

If you wanna get really picky, then there's reverse, so does that make it a 6 speed box? :s

Also, i'm guessing here, but this gearknob;
    P1020079.jpg

is in the effects car (ie the replica that was made) and the white button is a minor descrepency.

oh and a solid plastic isn't neccessarily stronger than resin, depends on the resin and the forces being put through it. resin has a tendency to have a little give in it, making it somewhat longer lasting. there's also down sides, some resin can be effected by UV and go off colour, but you can pigment it to avoid and reduce this effect.

why you'd machine each one from solid bar is beyond me, but each unto their own. for a hand machined piece the price aint bad at all. i'd only make one to fit to a vehicle myself, still, nice little piece.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • danjaq_0ffdanjaq_0ff The SwampsPosts: 7,283MI6 Agent
    I want an ejector seat in my Golf :D boinggggg
    danjaq_0ff wrote:
    I want an ejector seat in my Golf :D boinggggg

sunroof + hump back bridge + 70mph - seatbelt = ejector seat
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    I have just replaced my sump, bad idea Singe :D
    danjaq_0ff wrote:
    I have just replaced my sump, bad idea Singe :D
    can't be the first time you've had your sump knocked in....
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    well, I did a rather good impression of the Dukes of Hazard once in a Ford Cortina mk3 :D which turned out different to what I expected :))
    dang it bo.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    Thanks for the help guys. It seems a rather clever opportunist started selling these on ebay not long after i posted my question, of a rather rushed and inferior quality if i may say as well. Still working on this though, there are quality standards at threat here after all. :))
    A guy in Italy made these back in the early 2000s I think it was, so not an original idea :o , I must say you are going about your one in a far better way, -{ as you say, the other gear knobs were not up to much, but looks ok on display :007)
    Cheers, Oh i know its not an original idea but i dont believe in coincidence in the prop world anymore either. ;)
  • jimr1980jimr1980 Posts: 1MI6 Agent
    Are any of these replicas still available given the age of the post and are there any pictures of them?
    Dear Mr Webber
    Quite new to these forums but here goes
    With regard to your question about the DB5 gearknob
    I have made some of these gearknobs to roughly the same spec as original
    The original car was in fact a kind of db4 which had a 4 speed box
    so this would show on the gearknob top.
    The db5 had a five speed zf box which i have replicated on the top of my gearknobs
    Also the zf box was german not british and in 1964 even the germans were using metric so the thread has to be 10mm to fit correctly onto the gearstick
    These replicas are made of solid plastic which i find stronger than the original resin ones.
    The hinge is integral and flips up to reveal a small red button that can be depressed
    so one could wire this up to the horn and give a great surprise to all who dought your words
    " What ever you do, don't push this button"
    The price is £150 each + P&P and i only had 12 made
    A lot of R&D went into these so this reflects the price
    Hope this helps yourself and others
    Regards
    OPERATION.GRANDSLAM
    Mr Webber wrote:
    Hi all,

Cheers.
  • Gebruder GumboldGebruder Gumbold San FranciscoPosts: 541MI6 Agent
    edited May 2018
    The original effects DB5 with the DP chassis # went missing long ago, so the original pieces are no more.
    The 4 speed David Brown gearbox was featured on that "effects" car, which is easily spotted by the Lucas 773 amber lamps on the front wings.
    Just watch GF and you see both cars in the Alpine Drive segment. Rumoured that the second DB5, without the heavy effects, and with the ZF 5 speed, failed during filming, and the effects car was used in the chase scenes, which is why it accelerated so poorly when Bond peels out after the shots are fired. Note the early shifting by the driver too. I have driven a 4 speed DB4 and DB5, and in some ways I prefer that gearbox with overdrive to the ZF unit, which is hard to shift when hot.
    Seems to recall from Blue Ray viewing that the red button was dished, and proportionately larger that what appears on Ebay currently.
    cap009.png

Some British Wiring company has them, I have to look again at my notes.
    Those special switches with the guards on them, I was told, were from a Spitfire or left over WW2 stock, but when I visited a Lucas rebuilder, there they were: Aston Martin DB6 Volante hood switch. Have a resin replica on my desk.

Mini 4 speed uses the same shift knob, although in a Mini box it is hundreds less than if you bought it from Aston.

Cheers, Tom

console2.jpg
  • streekystreeky Posts: 1MI6 Agent

Hello , I am looking for a bond gear knob for a DB4 fitted with a 5 speed DBS BOX , ARE YOU ABLE TO HELP .

regards

Mel

• loader10569loader10569 Posts: 49MI6 Agent

This is my DB5 gearstick

• emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,703MI6 Agent

Very nice- looks like it's wired up? What does it do?

• loader10569loader10569 Posts: 49MI6 Agent

Static model, does have 2 wires which in theory would go off to the firing mechanism. The lid flips up to show the red button, ready for Sean Connery to dispense his passenger.