Skyfall James Bond leather jacket

Comments

• welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,292MI6 Agent
    +1 for Peggs and son - great service!
    Instagram - bondclothes007
  • KuragamiKuragami Posts: 89MI6 Agent
    This site has Mediums and Larges back in stock, if anybody is still on the hunt.

http://www.peggsandson.com/coats-jackets/menlo-leather-jacket.html

Also, Harrods have 1 Small and 1 Medium left in stock.

Thank you thank you thank you!!!! Trigger pulled on a Medium! :D
  • The Bond VivantThe Bond Vivant SeendPosts: 1,326MI6 Agent
    You're most welcome, sir! There are also more mediums and larges coming to Mr Porter, for any of you guys still interested. Plus they have Larges and Extra Larges in right now.
    Kuragami wrote:
    This site has Mediums and Larges back in stock, if anybody is still on the hunt.

http://www.peggsandson.com/coats-jackets/menlo-leather-jacket.html

Also, Harrods have 1 Small and 1 Medium left in stock.

Thank you thank you thank you!!!! Trigger pulled on a Medium! :D
    edited September 2012
    Peggs and Sons fell through. They tried very hard but unfortunately someone clicked the buy button a few minutes before I did. Harrods hasn't bothered to respond to my email so I guess my hopes are with Mr. Porter.

Thanks for letting me know!

EDIT: I emailed Mr. Porter because you can't actually buy that jacket unless you set your Region to UK. What the heck? So I'm waiting to hear back from them about it.

EDIT2: I got a response back from Mr. Porter. I had to sign up on the International site and they will reserve a Medium for me. This is about to get insanely expensive but that's the way it goes. Thanks again for the heads up about them!
    Do you want me to see if I can chivvy along my contact at Harrods? I did have one Medium reserved with them, which they may still be holding.

MB
    Kuragami wrote:
    Peggs and Sons fell through. They tried very hard but unfortunately someone clicked the buy button a few minutes before I did. Harrods hasn't bothered to respond to my email so I guess my hopes are with Mr. Porter.

EDIT: I emailed Mr. Porter because you can't actually buy that jacket unless you set your Region to UK. What the heck? So I'm waiting to hear back from them about it.

EDIT2: I got a response back from Mr. Porter. I had to sign up on the International site and they will reserve a Medium for me. This is about to get insanely expensive but that's the way it goes. Thanks again for the heads up about them!
    Do you want me to see if I can chivvy along my contact at Harrods? I did have one Medium reserved with them, which they may still be holding.

MB
    Kuragami wrote:

You are both a gentleman and a scholar sir and I thank you. However that won't be necessary.

I managed to get Mr. Porter to agree to hold a Medium for me when they come in. They responded to my email in under an hour. Harrods hasn't bothered to respond to me at all and this is day 2. It leaves a sour taste.

Maybe I should have put "Princess." as my title. Perhaps that would have elicited some attention. :))
    :))
    Kuragami wrote:

MB
    Kuragami wrote:

You are both a gentleman and a scholar sir and I thank you. However that won't be necessary.

I managed to get Mr. Porter to agree to hold a Medium for me when they come in. They responded to my email in under an hour. Harrods hasn't bothered to respond to me at all and this is day 2. It leaves a sour taste.

Maybe I should have put "Princess." as my title. Perhaps that would have elicited some attention. :))
  • Han JonesHan Jones Posts: 30MI6 Agent
    I just got this jacket from Peggs & Son in a size large and I love it. I ordered it Sunday night and got it Wed. morning from England to Illinois. Looks like they still have some larges left.
  • MI6 COMMANDERMI6 COMMANDER Posts: 23MI6 Agent
    To confirm, the brown jacket sold on Mr. Porter's website is the correct cut and style, however it is not the same color used in the Skyfall film. Levi's confirmed that a distressed black (that looks light brown) jacket was used in the film. The brown jacket on Mr. Porter's site is darker than the original.
  • jared_nomakjared_nomak Posts: 1,942MI6 Agent
    To confirm, the brown jacket sold on Mr. Porter's website is the correct cut and style, however it is not the same color used in the Skyfall film. Levi's confirmed that a distressed black (that looks light brown) jacket was used in the film. The brown jacket on Mr. Porter's site is darker than the original.

Who did Levi's confirm this too as if it was black it would look black all the pictures show it as brown!!!
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,292MI6 Agent
    It might be a diff shade of brown but certainly not black!!!!!
    Instagram - bondclothes007
    I'm pretty sure we all agreed it was a brown version from last year that was no longer available. This years brown version is as close as we will get. Frankly it's so dark it could almost be faded black so I'm happy with it.
    edited October 2012
    Kuragami wrote:
    I'm pretty sure we all agreed it was a brown version from last year that was no longer available. This years brown version is as close as we will get. Frankly it's so dark it could almost be faded black so I'm happy with it.

Agree with you that it is brown and that the brown on mr porter's website is as close as we can get. My point is that there was a distressed black made (that looks brown, not black-despite the tag description).

I will try to upload pics.
    image.jpg
  • ReturningsonReturningson Posts: 560MI6 Agent
    Here is my research done on this jacket as there has been some confusion on which style to get...

First the piece is a reproduction of a 1930s jacket that Levis had within their archive. Constructed out of tanned sheepskin (which is incredibly soft) from italy. Levis was previously using AERO leather but they switched for the italian sheep for these models.

There were several versions as released beginning in the Fall 2009 with Levis LVC Wrath & Dust Collection. The previous collection featured the cossack style (a style which they have since rereleased again).

Production runs on these jackets were very limited. I tried to figure an exact number and my best guess would be approx 100-150 were made of each season.

Out of the four versions that have been released so far (the dry farmed, the distressed brown, the black and the current season which can be seen on Mr. Porter), it is the distressed brown which is the SA color that Bond wears. Ive never seen a distressed black, only the regular black which can sometimes look distressed (the black jackets went through the same distressing/washing processes that the brown went through only the distressing did not look as harsh because it blended in with the black leather of the jacket. The brown give more of a contrasted look).

Here
    1930s_Leather_Jacket_in_Black_0.jpg

This is my jacket (this is a horrible pic in terms of color and lighting and even of the jackets general shape. Its darker and more brown and frankly better looking than seen but since my camera is down, this is all Ive got, for now).

2128l6c.jpg

Note the "scorched" areas of distressing (especially on the shoulder area) which can be matched up with Bonds
    _timthumb.jpg

Tom is wearing the exact same jacket here (this pic better represents color but not as much as I would like it).
    article-0-14ABC52F000005DC-820_634x929.jpg

Focus on the distressing around shoulder areas
    article-0-14ABC520000005DC-135_634x811.jpg

_timthumb.jpg
  • The Bond ExperienceThe Bond Experience Newtown, PAPosts: 5,490Quartermasters
    Damn, nice breakdown...well done!
    Thanks Mantis! I first saw this jacket in 2010 at my local Barneys Co-Op on a mannaquin and instantly fell in love with it. I had never heard of the jacket before and was only vaguely familiar with levis lvc line. I put it on my list of things to eventually buy figuring it would appear on ebay but, as i stated before, the production runs on these are incredibly small and once they sell out, thats basically it. Once my camera is fixed, i will post more beauty shots of my jacket.
  • ExpatJBExpatJB HoustonPosts: 752MI6 Agent
    Glad we got it right!
    Dont wait for your ship to come in. Swim out and meet the bloody thing.
  • redsleighdownredsleighdown USAPosts: 450MI6 Agent
    Thanks Mantis! I first saw this jacket in 2010 at my local Barneys Co-Op on a mannaquin

That is exactly where I saw and bought mine! It was on sale for under $300!!!

An interesting note on the color. The jacket DC wears is *technically* a black jacket. Now don't worry, if you ordered the brown color, you got the right one. I first noticed it when I looked at the receipt I got with the jacket last year. It was classified as a "heavy distress black levi jckt - vintage". And ya know what, if you actually look at the shiny bits of the jacket, you can tell the original color really is black. Who knew.
    And this is why there is confusion :))

The jacket was never black

just because the tag stated it was black doesnt mean it actually was. Union made and blackbird both called the jacket a different color based on their own perception of what the color actually was. For instance, Levis never ever called the jacket a "dry farmed color"...This was something union made did.

Case in Point, Unionmade classifies this jacket as BLACK

LEVIS_1.jpg

while Blackbird classifies this jacket as "cocoa brown"

45587_3.jpg

so, the jacket was NEVER black. Sorry have to bold this because i dont people to read it and go "wait...the jacket was black? Wha?....I bought the brown one...NNOOOOOO!!!"
    and just to add contrast, this is the officially labeled (by Levis LVC) as the Menlo jacket in BLACK.

Levis-Vintage-mens-1930s-Menlo-Black-Leather-Jacket-1.jpg

and here is an actual pic taken from an ebay listing

mKBkfwvNRSakzuKWJkEhtUA.jpg

i dont wanna split hairs here but I want people to be accurately informed .The screen jacket was never black despite what any tag reads. Besides all one needs is to do a visual comparison. The black is simply too dark and well...black lol...
    and on a secondary note, I dont how you scored this for $300! I mean, it was full price ($900) when I was there and then I went back two weeks later and they were all gone. (This was at the South Coast Plaza in Southern California).
    So the current Mr. Porter one is the accurate one? Because to me it looks identical to the one in the pictures.
    Its as close you can possibly get. IMO looks a little too uniformly brown but again, no one person's jacket is going to match Bonds exactly as each of these jackets go through a washing/aging process that makes each one unique. The Mr. porter jacket (the current season) is as good as its gonna get. These truly are amazing jackets and the sheepskin is so incredibly soft.
  • redsleighdownredsleighdown USAPosts: 450MI6 Agent
    and on a secondary note, I dont how you scored this for $300! I mean, it was full price ($900) when I was there and then I went back two weeks later and they were all gone. (This was at the South Coast Plaza in Southern California).

The NYC store didn't sell the last one so it went on discount. I actually picked it up cuz I liked it, this was before I knew it was in Skyfall.

And yes, I completely agree with the above post which is why I clarified you can see the original black/shiny layer in the few less (un)distressed area on the screen accurate "brown" jacket. The label of my screen accurate jacket as "Black" was by barneys, not levi's. :s
  • HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,328MI6 Agent
    I have the black one. It's not the one Craig is wearing, I promise!
    Glad we got that cleared up lol
    Thanks for all the research, but since no one has seen a distressed black (as labeled by LVC) here it is...it's the same as in the bond pic
    image.jpg
    Nice looking jacket. Does the tag state or label it as distressed black because i think what you actually have is the same jacket as the unionmade one (which labels it as black). So basically i dont think you have a new breed of jacket or even another additional version.
    edited October 2012
    Nice looking jacket. Does the tag state or label it as distressed black because i think what you actually have is the same jacket as the unionmade one (which labels it as black). So basically i dont think you have a new breed of jacket or even another additional version.
    Yes, it is labeled as distressed black directly from the Levi's store. Believe me, in person, it does not look like the version from unionmade. No alternation to the name by a third party vendor.

By the way, did you buy yours at Barney's? They carried the "Black" version...

http://thestylecure.com/Levis-Vintage-Clothing-1930s-Menlo-Jacket-Black-284169371.html
  • ExpatJBExpatJB HoustonPosts: 752MI6 Agent
    I'm Spartacus!
    Dont wait for your ship to come in. Swim out and meet the bloody thing.