Why Is The Man With The Golden Gun Title Song Hated So?

13»

Comments

• Bondage007Bondage007 AustraliaPosts: 371MI6 Agent
    edited July 2015
    When I was a Bond n00b, I thought Emiliana Torrini did the theme for TMWTGG, and I found Lulu's underwhelming when I found out she actually did the theme

I don't even know who Torrini is but here's her version which is better:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMnrVegs6Kk

Anyway I like the TMWTGG song, lyrics and score, the theme song is top 10 easily. Like all Barry scores, it suits the film well. The whistle during the stunt while in hindsight was a poor decision it matched the film's seriousness (that is, none).

The Alice Cooper song is great as well but doesn't suit the film. If TMWTGG was a serious film it would've worked
    2019 Bondathon...in progress (6) FRWL (7) GE (8) FYEO (9) TND (10) MR (11) GF (12) LALD (13) DAF (14) LTK (15) TMWTGG (16) TB (17) TSWLM (18) DAD (19) AVTAK (20) YOLT (21) QOS (22) SF (23) TWINE (24) SP
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    I like Torrini's version better!
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • DR NO-ahDR NO-ah AustraliaPosts: 104MI6 Agent
    I have never heard that version before but I enjoy it much more than the original. Still one of the worst theme songs in my opinion though...
    "Mango, banana and tangerine. Sugar and ackee and cocoa bean!"
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Not a great theme song, but I like Lulu's voice.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • GoldHildingGoldHilding WinnipegPosts: 58MI6 Agent
    Is it a dumb and maybe ridiculous song? Yes of course. Is it catchier than most of the 80s and 90s songs? YES! And Lulu's vocals are fantastic.
  • Lady IceLady Ice Posts: 279MI6 Agent
    Paloma Faith would do a good version of it. It needs that funny, vampish cabaret appeal.

Agreed.

I'm not a fan of it; there's no real tune, it's just Lulu's screeching that stays in your head. It's full of awful innuendo ('Who will he bang?') and is just lazily written. Individual parts of it are catchy but in an annoying way. The lack of sophistication and glamour means that it is lower down on my list.