Big layoff at Eurocom, still no appology to Bond fans

yoyoyojoyoyoyojo Posts: 46MI6 Agent
Big layoff at Eurocom. They blame lack of demand for console games. That really pissed me off. How about lack of demand for their horrible Bond games. So much for Legends on PC. I was hoping that would be slightly better if for no other reason higher resolutions.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2012/11/23/007-legends-dev-hit-by-redundancies

Comments

• yoyoyojoyoyoyojo Posts: 46MI6 Agent
    Well at least this article does more that regurgitate the press release

http://www.lazygamer.net/xbox-360/007-developer-cut-blames-console-gamers/
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,279MI6 Agent
    I also read another article where Eurocomm blamed Activision for forcing them to meet an unrealistic release date. While I'm sure Activision played a part in this debacle as they are notorious for driving product to the ground, the overall game design was poor and uninspired and Eurocomm has no one to blame but themselves for that.

Eurocomm have also stated that they will be focusing more on mobile gaming; that quite honestly will probably be the kiss of death for the studio as many mobile developers are hemmoraging money these days (just look at Zynga). People will pay $60 for a good game - Call of Duty Black Ops II made $500 million in its first week - but an ill-conceived, unimaginative, by the numbers game like 007 Legends will fail at any price. It was selling for $25 during the Black Friday sale on Amazon.com and I still couldn't bring myself to pick up a copy.
  • Moore ThanMoore Than EnglandPosts: 3,173MI6 Agent
    007 Legends developer Eurocom has closed its doors, it has been confirmed. Last month the Derbyshire-based developer reduced its workforce by 75%, retaining just 48 of its 200-strong workforce. However, the studio has now closed following a number of delayed contracts leading to a "severe" lack of finances.

The FULL article.
    James Bond game studio Eurocom closes doors
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/news/a443739/james-bond-game-studio-eurocom-closes-doors.html
    Moore Not Less 4371 posts (2002 - 2007) Moore Than (2012 - 2016)
  • Mr BeechMr Beech Florida, USAPosts: 1,749MI6 Agent
    I wish them the best. I think there was little chance of them making a very good Bond game thanks to Activision's licensed game schedules. They gambled wrong on what to produce in that time. The fact that the SkyFall level was DLC just proves how much of an issue time was. They basically shipped the game incomplete and told everyone to look for the finished product after a wait.

I really hope Activision dumps the license to EA or Ubisoft. They undoubtedly will do better based on the fact that they wouldn't use that stale Call of Duty engine anymore.

Sadly, with the films being at the top of their game thanks to SkyFall's success, Activision is likely looking at ways to milk MI6 for all they're worth.
  • PeppermillPeppermill DelftPosts: 2,860MI6 Agent
    I think Rockstar could make a great Bond game. They have the financial rescources to take their time to really deliver a polished product without having to rush. I really hope we will get a game that uses all the elements of 007 (story, action, plot, humor, gadgets) and not just a FPS with some added on Bond flavour.
    1. Ohmss 2. Frwl 3. Op 4. Tswlm 5. Tld 6. Ge 7. Yolt 8. Lald 9. Cr 10. Ltk 11. Dn 12. Gf 13. Qos 14. Mr 15. Tmwtgg 16. Fyeo 17. Twine 18. Sf 19. Tb 20 Tnd 21. Spectre 22 Daf 23. Avtak 24. Dad
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,292MI6 Agent
    Peppermill wrote:
    I think Rockstar could make a great Bond game. They have the financial rescources to take their time to really deliver a polished product without having to rush. I really hope we will get a game that uses all the elements of 007 (story, action, plot, humor, gadgets) and not just a FPS with some added on Bond flavour.

Ha I often think of this but I think it would only happen in a dream!

Of course it would have to be a new or mix of past adventure kinda thing as development by Rockstar takes too long for a movie tie in.

They certainly have the engine and missions, cars, girls and story telling in place, just adapt to a Spy theme. Would be great and something I always think about when playing GTA!
    Instagram - bondclothes007
  • Mr BeechMr Beech Florida, USAPosts: 1,749MI6 Agent
    welshboy78 wrote:
    Peppermill wrote:

Ha I often think of this but I think it would only happen in a dream!

Of course it would have to be a new or mix of past adventure kinda thing as development by Rockstar takes too long for a movie tie in.

They certainly have the engine and missions, cars, girls and story telling in place, just adapt to a Spy theme. Would be great and something I always think about when playing GTA!

Rockstar is my favorite studio, but they don't seem to do licensed games. And, as you said, they certainly wouldn't agree to do it for a movie because there isn't enough time for their standards.

They are making a spy thriller game called Agent, set in the 1970s and revolving around Cold War espionage. Hopefully that one will be a great look a Rockstar's spy creativity.