Dexter TV Series - any fans here?

Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,644MI6 Agent
Are there any fans here of the Dexter TV Series - I was just thinking of possibly getting Seasons 1-5 on boxset from Amazon and I wanted to know if it was worth getting at all?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dexter_(TV_series)

More details in the above link. -{
"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).

Comments

• James BillJames Bill ParisPosts: 26MI6 Agent
    I'm a big Dexter fan but I don't know if it's a good idea to get 5 seasons at once of a show you don't know (I'm assuming you don't know it since you're asking for fans opinions).
    I'd suggest trying to watch the pilot at least (borrow a DVD from someone, or try to download it) to see if you adhere to the kind of dark humor the show is known for. A show that ran for so long (it's going to end with the 8th season) is obviously doing something right but does it have replay value? Well, if you think you can get attached to a serial killer, give it a try!
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,644MI6 Agent
    James Bill wrote:
    I'm a big Dexter fan but I don't know if it's a good idea to get 5 seasons at once of a show you don't know (I'm assuming you don't know it since you're asking for fans opinions).
    I'd suggest trying to watch the pilot at least (borrow a DVD from someone, or try to download it) to see if you adhere to the kind of dark humor the show is known for. A show that ran for so long (it's going to end with the 8th season) is obviously doing something right but does it have replay value? Well, if you think you can get attached to a serial killer, give it a try!

Thanks - I just feel like getting it - I'm on a bit of a serial killer kick at the moment! :)

Something to watch in the long dark nights of the winter... -{
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • MANDY1MANDY1 TISPosts: 2,608MI6 Agent

Just reviving an old thread, because the dark passenger is Back!

Showtime's original hit series Dexter's sequel Dexter: New Blood aired earlier this month and just wanted to know what people think of the new show? Only just 4 episodes released, but I've enjoyed every minute :) Not only America's, but also my favourite serial killer...well in a TV-show anyway :)

Knowing who to trust is Everything in this business.

TIS - "The moment you think you got it figured - you're wrong"

Formerly known as Teppo
  • IceQIceQ Posts: 298MI6 Agent

Go for it

• welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,292MI6 Agent
    edited November 2021

1-4 are superb!! Season 1 and 4 are my faves. Goes downhill a bit after that (different writers if I remember right)

Watching the new series but so far finding it a bit dull and sorely missing some fave characters. Think the humour missing to be honest but its early days!

Instagram - bondclothes007
  • Westward_DriftWestward_Drift Posts: 3,085MI6 Agent
    edited November 2021

There were several writing changes as the series wore on. Season 1-4 were the best, so get the set and ignore season 5.

The last two seasons were abysmal. Welcome to any series produced by Scott Buck, who also brought us The Immortals and Iron Fist.

My main gripe with the early seasons (no spoilers) is that the main plot for season two should have been the plot of either the final or the penultimate season.

I am enjoying New Blood so far.

• JTullock23JTullock23 ArizonaPosts: 552MI6 Agent

Great series. I have also enjoyed New Blood. The old series was groundbreaking. The season, I think 3 or 4, with John Lithgow was the best one, in my opinion.

"History isn't kind to men who play God." - DC "I gave him the limp." - PB "Better make that two." - TD

"Keeping British end up, sir." - RM "This never happened to the other fellow." - JL "I must be dreaming." SC
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,644MI6 Agent

I take it that the events depicted in Dexter are rather graphic and gory in nature?

• welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,292MI6 Agent
    edited November 2021

Fair bit of blood and the odd limb!! Not too bad compared to your standard horror flick

Instagram - bondclothes007
  • MANDY1MANDY1 TISPosts: 2,608MI6 Agent

Mate, have you watched any of the episodes yet ? I really recommend for you to watch episode or two and then decide. Some of scenes are graphic and gory at times though, but what you'd expect from a serial killer LOL

Knowing who to trust is Everything in this business.

TIS - "The moment you think you got it figured - you're wrong"

Formerly known as Teppo

No, not yet. I never got around to it. The same old story for me! I'm not the biggest fan of blood and gore but I have just about been able to sit through the Wolf Creek films and I can't imagine it's much worse than that!