James Bond Role-Playing Games

Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,672MI6 Agent
Any fans of these here, from the 1980s?

How did they work etc.?

Would love to know more about these. I believe that Raymond Benson was behind some of them and that Victory Games produced some of them.

A very overlooked area of the James Bond phenomenon, I feel.

Perhaps it's time to reverse that fact...-
"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).

Comments

• Le SamouraiLe Samourai Honolulu, HIPosts: 573MI6 Agent
    I was an avid RPGer from the early ‘80s to the mid-‘90s. I played many, many different games.

The James Bond RPG was by far one of the best. The mechanics of the game were very good, and superior to most of the competition. The game did a really great job of capturing the feel of the Bond movies. The character generation system, for example, made it easy to create your own individual agent.

It was also a very well-written game. My wife is not a gamer, but she used to enjoy reading the various Bond RPG materials because they were entertaining. The Q-Manual and Thrilling Locations were particularly fun reads.

A bit of trivia: For legal reasons, the Bond RPG was barred from making any references to Blofeld or SPECTRE, so they created a new organization called TAROT. However, there was one exception to the no-Blofeld rule. In a passing reference to Tracy, there is a mention of the fact that Blofeld killed her.
    —Le Samourai

A Gent in Training.... A blog about my continuing efforts to be improve myself, be a better person, and lead a good life. It incorporates such far flung topics as fitness, self defense, music, style, food and drink, and personal philosophy.
    Agent In Training
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,516Chief of Staff
    There is an old thread knocking about that discusses these games...
    YNWA 97
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,672MI6 Agent
    I was an avid RPGer from the early ‘80s to the mid-‘90s. I played many, many different games.

The James Bond RPG was by far one of the best. The mechanics of the game were very good, and superior to most of the competition. The game did a really great job of capturing the feel of the Bond movies. The character generation system, for example, made it easy to create your own individual agent.

It was also a very well-written game. My wife is not a gamer, but she used to enjoy reading the various Bond RPG materials because they were entertaining. The Q-Manual and Thrilling Locations were particularly fun reads.

A bit of trivia: For legal reasons, the Bond RPG was barred from making any references to Blofeld or SPECTRE, so they created a new organization called TAROT. However, there was one exception to the no-Blofeld rule. In a passing reference to Tracy, there is a mention of the fact that Blofeld killed her.

Thanks for the insights, Le Samourai, I have also joined your blog by email updates!
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,672MI6 Agent
    Sir Miles wrote:
    There is an old thread knocking about that discusses these games...

Right, I shall have to look said thread out....
This discussion has been closed.