Skyfall - The first time Craig went up against a true Bond villain?

I don't know if this topic has already been brought up before and been discussed at length, but I just think it was an interesting idea that Daniel Craig was actually up against a Bond villain who had no ties to Quantum and was not an underling of Quantum.

Comments

• LastRatStandingLastRatStanding ScotlandPosts: 296MI6 Agent
    Silva was certainly the first 'stand alone' villain that Craig faced. I definitely consider Le Chiffre, Mr White and Dominic Greene 'true' Bond villains though, however interlinked they are.
    Now, they only eat rat.
  • Silva was certainly the first 'stand alone' villain that Craig faced. I definitely consider Le Chiffre, Mr White and Dominic Greene 'true' Bond villains though, however interlinked they are.

They ultimately answer to a higher power though, whomever that higher power may be. But Mister Silva didn't answer to anybody and that's why I liked him the most.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Well IMHO , Silva is the first Villain of sufficient stature.
    Of some of the Classic Bond Villains. I hope there will
    be many to follow. -{
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Smiert-SpionamSmiert-Spionam Posts: 318MI6 Agent
    Silva is the classic Bond villain in some respects but I feel it was such a shame he never really got to engage in any sort of fist fight against Bond. A scene like at the end of QOS would have been great and really pressed home his case to be the best ever Bond villain. That accolade still stays with Zorin me thinks!
    Smiert Spionam
  • davidelliott101davidelliott101 Posts: 165MI6 Agent
    If LeChiffre isn't a true Bond villain, I don't know what is. He was lifted from the Fleming novel pretty much intact.
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,651MI6 Agent
    I'm thinking that by "true Bond villain," it's the megalomaniac type living in a hollowed-out volcano, so yes, with his Island of Death and by the fact that he was wacked out of his mind, Silva fits this mold. However, because of the reboot I am one Bond fan who doesn't feel the need to see the obligatory, hackneyed and sometimes desperate attempts to bring back Bond elements; why do that at this time when you can truly roll with this reboot experiment in full force and try daring things, since after DC's tenure I doubt there would be another opportunity to test murky waters and taste forbidden fruits.

I thought Le Chiffre, White and Greene were unique, formidable and interesting villains and it was refreshing to see them in Bond films. I think it would be interesting if Bond again tackles more realistic crimininal organizations and take on gangsters from the UK, former Soviet satellites, like how LTK did, but give it the Bond treatment while retaining the potentially grittiness of that kind of criminal activity.
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,646MI6 Agent
    Yes, Raoul Silva certainly has more of the traditional James Bond villain about him than the previous two entries that might have shown Fleming's other vaunted villain style - the banality of evil (e.g. Aris Kristatos etc.). Silva is a combination of Goldfinger and Max\Zorin, with a little zest of Alec Trevelyan thrown into the mix for good measure. He's certainly been the best villain since Alec Trevelyan in 1995's GoldenEye.
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,646MI6 Agent
    superado wrote:
    I'm thinking that by "true Bond villain," it's the megalomaniac type living in a hollowed-out volcano, so yes, with his Island of Death and by the fact that he was wacked out of his mind, Silva fits this mold. However, because of the reboot I am one Bond fan who doesn't feel the need to see the obligatory, hackneyed and sometimes desperate attempts to bring back Bond elements; why do that at this time when you can truly roll with this reboot experiment in full force and try daring things, since after DC's tenure I doubt there would be another opportunity to test murky waters and taste forbidden fruits.

Yes, I agree with this statement 100%. Why go back on the reboot experiment as the next actor to play James Bond will probably go back on this and give us the traditional James Bond film by numbers approach of old. Let's not have Daniel Craig and the producers relent of their daring just yet, please. A very well-written post, superado. But then I expect very litle else from you by now... :)
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,483MI6 Agent
    Silva fitted in with this Bond film which had very new elements held strongly against the old. It worked very well, and it was the steady balance that made this film a success.
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
    Asp9mm wrote:
    Silva fitted in with this Bond film which had very new elements held strongly against the old. It worked very well, and it was the steady balance that made this film a success.

Agreed and seconded. Skyfall was a real winner for this reason. -{
  • Jedi MasterJedi Master UKPosts: 1,093MI6 Agent
    Silva was certainly the first 'stand alone' villain that Craig faced. I definitely consider Le Chiffre, Mr White and Dominic Greene 'true' Bond villains though, however interlinked they are.

Dominic Greene is most definitely not a true Bond Villian. He was tedious to the extreme. His "diabolical plot" was so un-remarkable that it actually happened once in real life, and the real version was more interesting. He had no distinguishing features apart from bad taste in shirts and his name makes him sound like a door to door conservatory salesman. That is, of course, all my opinion and nothing more, but I can't help stating it in that manner, I really hated that film!

IMO Skyfall is the first true Bond film Craig has been in!
    Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice and everyone dies.
  • L JonesL Jones Posts: 131MI6 Agent
    What exactly is a "classic Bond villain"? For me, there are Bond villains who stand alone and Bond villains who work for someone else. Period.

Dominic Greene is most definitely not a true Bond Villian.

As far as I'm concerned, he was. And I like him better than Silva, because he wasn't such an over-the-top drama queen.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    L Jones wrote:
    As far as I'm concerned, he was. And I like him better than Silva, because he wasn't such an over-the-top drama queen.
    :)) Yeah, I'm with ya there.
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,651MI6 Agent
    superado wrote:

Yes, I agree with this statement 100%. Why go back on the reboot experiment as the next actor to play James Bond will probably go back on this and give us the traditional James Bond film by numbers approach of old. Let's not have Daniel Craig and the producers relent of their daring just yet, please. A very well-written post, superado. But then I expect very litle else from you by now... :)

Thank you, SM, that's a high compliment -{
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • Jedi MasterJedi Master UKPosts: 1,093MI6 Agent
    chrisisall wrote:
    L Jones wrote:
    :)) Yeah, I'm with ya there.

Of course the classic Bond villains, Goldfinger, Blofeld, are famous for being so down to Earth... :v
    Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice and everyone dies.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    Of course the classic Bond villains, Goldfinger, Blofeld, are famous for being so down to Earth... :v
    Context, young Jedi. :007)
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
    superado wrote:
    superado wrote:

Thank you, SM, that's a high compliment -{

My pleasure. I did in fact also mean to say you are a great asset to AJB. It remains true. :) -{