Bond Book of the Month

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I only started it today and I'm still impressed with Wood's writing style.
    The novel is slightly different from the movie reading more like a Fleming
    Novel. Looking forward to the rest. {[]
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • David SchofieldDavid Schofield EnglandPosts: 1,528MI6 Agent
    Yup, EON has first refusal on the continuations. Have to pay if they use them, of course (look the other way now if you think they might have breached copyright by nicking from Gardner in the past)

But no one else can touch 'em
  • AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    Shame he did not write anymore Bond Novelizations after this, would have been interesting to see one for AVTAK -{
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
    Thanks for clearing that up David. -{

Pity indeed, I really enjoyed his books , even Moonraker ( next month)
    Is toned down slightly, to be a little more believable ( if it can be) than
    The film. :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Talking about Moonraker-

http://debrief.commanderbond.net/topic/51870-moonraker-by-gerry-anderson/

This is the supposed Gerry Anderson Version that was turned down.
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,057Chief of Staff
    Dredging into my aged memory, I recall MGW saying on tv that they did have the rights to film them but it was unlikely that they would. That was sometime in the 90s, I think.
    edited December 2014
    Amazed Glidrose didn't look at Wood in 1981. Two excellent Flemingesque novels, and the writer of the two recent Bond cinema blockbusters.

And who was John Gardner? Writer of 60s creation Boyise Oakes, and reknown pisstaker out of IF.
    :)) I did laugh at his comment about the Moonraker novel as .....
    ... " not very exciting and very dated " 8-) it's one of the best
    Of Fleming's stories. -{
    Yes, Moonraker is flawless in my Opinion.

And regarding the Continuation Writers, they are not as well know outside the Bond Circle as Fleming. So not a lot of casual Viewers People would realize that a Bond Film called License Renewed or Scorpius are in fact, Adaptations -{

And regarding the Continuation Writers, they are not as well know outside the Bond Circle as Fleming. So not a lot of casual Viewers People would realize that a Bond Film called License Renewed or Scorpius are in fact, Adaptations -{

True, the continuation authors name's wouldn't add much, though it could be argued that some of the plots are no worse (and some much better) than EON's output since 1981.

And I could add - controversially - that a lot of "casual viewers" don't know who Ian Fleming is. And those that do might take a look at the recent films and suggest they couldn't see much from IF's original novels there anyway.... :o
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,646MI6 Agent

Sir Kingsley Amis being the exception surely, though many young folk today would have no clue who he is as he died in 1995.
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    I haven't read Christopher Wood's novelisations since they came out but will dust them off!

I guess the producers must realise that, by now, they know what will and what won't work onscreen, so no longer need to purchase the rights to the continuation novels... Just to dispense with much of the un-filmable story lines. And if I was Raymond Benson, or represented the estate of John Gardner, I'd be asking for a lot of money for the rights.
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
    It's a shame I know :#
    ;) No only us old intellectuals know Amis :))
    I too haven't read the Wood novels in years !
    Still have my original copies bought from a School
    Book club. :))
    The probably wouldn't be allowed to be sold in schools
    These days . ;)
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,646MI6 Agent
    ;) No only us old intellectuals know Amis :))
    I too haven't read the Wood novels in years !
    Still have my original copies bought from a School
    Book club. :))
    The probably wouldn't be allowed to be sold in schools
    These days . ;)

I was at a job interview last year and not one of the three people present (a man in his 20s, a woman in her 40s and a man in his 50s) knew who Kingsley Amis or Martin Amis even was when I mentioned them! :))
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
    Might be just the people I hang about with. ;) if I
    Mentioned Amis, they'd think I meant I said Aramis
    ( not the musketeer, the after shave ) :))
    Might be just the people I hang about with. ;) if I
    Mentioned Amis, they'd think I meant I said Aramis
    ( not the musketeer, the after shave ) :))

Exactly my point! :))
    Christopher Wood: The spy who loved me.

I enjoyed the book very much, keeps pretty much to the film except for a few points. smersh is Back
    after Bond, and the villain was called Sigmund. In all I think he did a great job in keeping a fanciful
    film story into a slightly more believeable Book. Adding little touches as to how Bond smuggles his
    gun through airport security.
    Obviousley not in the same league as Fleming but I loved it as a schoolboy, and still do. :D now
    for January and Moonraker. ;)
    I like the Backstory he have to Jaws -{
    Yes, one of the touches that make the story a little more real.
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    I'm about halfway through it and have to say, I've forgotten how well written it is. Love the fact that Wood's description of Sergei Barzov is Fleming's own description of Bond :)) . But it walks a perfect line between the film and Fleming - grittier but retaining the film's plot. Can't wait to finish it.
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
    Yes, bluffing us. Into thinking it is Bond. :))
    Shame that Wood was never asked to Pen an official Bond Novel -{
    Shame, as I think he had a good " story telling" ability. His torture scene
    In SPY was also very good ( in my opinion) -{
    Shame, as I think he had a good " story telling" ability. His torture scene
    In SPY was also very good ( in my opinion) -{

Yes, it certainly was "shocking" in nature! :)) -{
    Started Chris Wood's Moonraker today. ( it's been years since I last read it ) :D
    So glad to see he kept Fleming's description of Drax. -{ and Bond's first
    Meeting with Drax walking towards him across a long study speaking ?
    Very like what Silva Did in the recent SF. ;) He also gives a nod, to Fleming's
    Back story for Drax.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    Yeah, it was better than the movie IMO.
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
    I agree -{
    chrisisall wrote:
    Yeah, it was better than the movie IMO.

Indeed it was - it cut out most of the film's needless silliness. :) -{
    Agreed, somehow Wood manages to keep the Books a little more
    Believable, or at least a bit more grounded. -{