Bond Book of the Month

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Christopher Wood's : Moonraker.
    Once again Wood manages to make the book slightly more believable than the film, in that Bond
    does get hurt in the Book, where as in the film he seems to move smoothly and unhurt from scene
    to scene.
    His space battle has Bond climbing on the outside of the space station, and is very good in my
    opinion. Even the Boat trip, in the novel takes around four days, with a little discription of the river
    and people who live on it, Not exactly the " Fleming sweep" but better than the film.
    In my opinion Wood's two Books are fun, nowhere close to Fleming or even Gardner ( when on form)
    but they do help to ground the fantasy elements better than the films did.

Febuary starts the John Gardner era. -{ , I love the Gardner Books ( I know many don't) but after so long
    without a Bond novel it was brilliant to hear he was to start a new series of Bond books. -{ , I read
    Licence Renewed in one sitting. :D
    So I'm looking forward to getting back in touch with his slightly older 007 ! {[]
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    Its a shame that Wood never wrote anymore after this :# But Gardner gave us some excellent Novels like you said -{
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
    Just a reminder for anyone who wants an excuse to read the Gardner novels.
    That starting in February, with Licence Renewed. I'll be rereading them all, so
    Any views and opinions, memories of these books would be most welcome.

" Gardner, an ex-Royal Marine commando, worked for a period as an Anglican priest, but he lost his faith and left the church after a short time. After a battle with alcohol addiction he wrote his first book, the autobiographical Spin the Bottle, published in 1964." Wikipedia.
    He was approached in 1979, to reinvent 007 for a modern audience, and wrote fourteen
    Bond books in all, plus two film tie ins.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Gardner should of stepped down after Scorpius, or Win Loose Or Die. After this Point, his Novels declined in Quality with each new Release

License To Kill Novelization - Good
    Brokenclaw - Average, would have been better if the Main Villain was more interesting.
    The Man From Barbarossa - Better then Brokenclaw, but rather dull.
    Death Is Forever - It had some good Points, but the Story was as dull as TMFB
    Never Send Flowers - Better then the previous two Entries.
    Seafire - The Story and Villain were dull. It was also a semi-rehash of License Renewed. I've never liked the Ending either. Bond with Tears on his Cheeks.
    Goldeneye Novelization - Was alright, but obviously watch the Film over this.
    COLD - Terrible Novel
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
    Only a couple of days in and I'm already more than half way through
    Licence Renewed. :D , Gardner is an entertaining writer, and keeps the
    Story moving along at a cracking pace.
    The only oddity, for me so far is in his description of Lavender, as looking
    Like a young " Lauren Bacall ", yet never mentioned his older romantic tryst
    With Tiffany Case, who Fleming also described as looking like a young " Lauren
    Bacall" ? You'd think Bond might have mentioned something about that. :))
    So far, even better than I remember. -{
    Yes -{ LR is my favorite of the Gardner Novels.
    Just finished Licence Renewed and loved it. -{ Gardner did a great job at
    Updating 007. Some great characters and situations, moves along at a
    Cracking pace and keeps you turning the pages. :D
    Bond is a little older ( a little grey hair, on his temples) but still the " Blunt
    Instrument " Britain needs.
    I hoping with Horowitz we'll get something similar, as he comes across
    As a working writer, and not as" Avant-garde " as some of the continuing
    Writers. Who seem to want to always play around with the character and
    Story form.
    I'm hoping he'll give us a good standard story, in the Fleming tradition. -{
  • David SchofieldDavid Schofield EnglandPosts: 1,528MI6 Agent
    edited February 2015
    I do think the Tracy-YOLT-Russia plot has allowed the most recent continuation authors to use their place in the timeline to portray an emotionally vulnerable JB, modernised and metrosexualised. Make him a Nick Clegg-Tony Blair hybrid.

Of course, both Fleming in TMWTGG and Amis realised Bond had been "repaired" and returned to being a blunt instrument. Neither mention Tracy. Gardner was on the same message in 1981 with LR.

Hopefully, Horowitz 50s timeline will spare us the feeble version of JB too
    " a Nick Clegg-Tony Blair hybrid "
    Now there is true Horror !!!! :))
    Gardner does reference Tracy several Times throughout his String of Novels -{

Are you reading the Orion Re-prints TP?

I was referring to 1981 and the book under discussion, LR - when he doesn't - and TPs remarks about recent continuation writers in that context...

But it is gratifying to note you have read Gardner's later books.

:s
    as I have read the Books I'm downloading them One at a time to my Kindle account, so I'll have them
    all at the end. :D
    Yes Gardner has Bond thinking of Tracy, although it's when he's thinking again about Marriage etc. Although
    I can see David Schofield's point, even the modern films have Bond being a little " emotionally vulnerable" at
    times.
    as I have read the Books I'm downloading them One at a time to my Kindle account, so I'll have them
    all at the end. :D
    Yes Gardner has Bond thinking of Tracy, although it's when he's thinking again about Marriage etc. Although
    I can see David Schofield's point, even the modern films have Bond being a little " emotionally vulnerable" at
    times.

I venture that Fleming's Bond of LALD is not same the character as the Vesper obsessed emotional wreck that the Bond of QOS has, apparently, become.

Betrayal seems to have been viewed a little differently in the 1950s...

I was referring to 1981 and the book under discussion, LR - when he doesn't - and TPs remarks about recent continuation writers in that context...

But there is a Vesper Reference though.

But there is a Vesper Reference though.

Different person though. Context, of the reference, too

See my previous post
    I'm going to push ahead with For special services, ( It's my favourite Gadner Bond ), although if anyone has any views on
    Licence renewed please fel free to jump in. :) I've downloaded the first Four J Gardner Bonds so far on to the Kindle. As
    I found a Tenner blowing down the street yesterday, it's as If I was being told to do it. :))
    LR and FSS are my favorite of the Gardner Novels. I've always liked the Saab turbo with its hidden Features -{
    I remember being amazed at what gadgetry actually existed, The stuff the Saab had was fantastic.
    I was impressed with the Tyres that never went flat :)) , and the bugs for phones etc. All great
    stuff -{
  • SpoffSpoff Posts: 244MI6 Agent
    Hi.

I am not reding them in order because I don't own them all yet, and Moonraker is the first I have ever read. I have never read them before.

I just finished it last night and found it highly enjoyable. It's a bit of an oddment as the entire story takes place in England (Obviously none of the films, and I assume none of the other books do this?). Drax is a pretty good villain and Gala a decent Bond girl. Krebs was, I thought, a bit of a weak henchman though, even after the fact that he gets a rather good back-story (as does Drax).

I very much enjoyed the card game at "Blades" and some of the driving scenes were pretty tense. There are large portions of the book where not very much is happening, but this is where some pretty good characterisation comes through instead.

All in all a very good read.

Starting Thunderball tonight...
    Hi Spoff,
    Moonraker is one of my favourite Bond novels. I too love the card game.
    Very tense with Drax losing his temper with Bond. Agree there are some
    Great back stories, I love the whole 50s rocket vibe.
    Fleming writes some of the best descriptive passages of any author. You
    Can really imagine being in those locations.
    Thunderball. Is another great book and the film follows it very closely. -{
    Don't forget Drax's 'I should spend the Money quickly, Mr Bond' -{
    There are so many brilliant bits in Moonraker. From the workers in
    Their big moustaches. Bond escaping the rocket silo and the car
    Chase,including the lorry carrying the news print. -{
    They can still Film the Novel, just change the Title and Villain.
    Sadly I doubt we'll ever see MR filmed, unless we get a TV series of the
    Books filmed in their time period of the 50s/60s. I'd love to see it. We can
    Only hope. :D
  • SpoffSpoff Posts: 244MI6 Agent
    Sadly I doubt we'll ever see MR filmed, unless we get a TV series of the
    Books filmed in their time period of the 50s/60s. I'd love to see it. We can
    Only hope. :D

I would too, the original story would make a great screen adaptation.
    Some of the short stories would make great one hour episodes. -{
  • 002002 New ZealandPosts: 558MI6 Agent
    I'm loving the way this thread is going. Count me in as another fan of the Moonraker novel...
    Fine Choice -{
  • 002002 New ZealandPosts: 558MI6 Agent
    Some of the short stories would make great one hour episodes. -{

Which is how they began life in the first place, isn't it...?
    :D True, I could see the BBC doing a great job with them, setting them in
    The correct time period. -{