The Silencer & Black Garter

Comments

• Thunderbird 2Thunderbird 2 East of Cardiff, Wales.Posts: 2,777MI6 Agent

Hey Guys!

Missed me? ๐Ÿ˜‰

This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,792MI6 Agent

Yes ...... of course. Did you get my order?

I literaly just walked in the door 24!

Holly will be back in a few days, she is dealing with field mice at my Father's house. They keep making a mess in the garden!

What are you having?

edited August 2022

I think I 'll shake things up and have a Coke Zero.

I'm watching series two of the classic "Yes, minister". I don't know .... the writing, acting and jokes are still good, but I'm afraid it isn't very relevant anymore. Politics simply isn't like that anymore. Now there's the internet, mobile phones, better fashion and female politicians who are good at dancing.

• Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,561Chief of Staff

I watched the two series of Yes, Prime Minister not too long ago…thought all the story were extremely relevant still ๐Ÿ˜ณ

YNWA 97
    edited August 2022

Other than the bureaucracy, mistakes, cart-in-front-of-the-horse, self-serving, secrecy, incompetance etc. it's completely outdated! They have the help of computers and social media to do those things now.

edited August 2022

I have the Complete Yes Prime Minister as an omnibus novel. As it is the same writers who wrote the series, its virtually identical. For a nice change.

The more things change, the more they stay the same. What with all that's happening, I am just waiting for the day the train staff, nurses, fire fighting personnel, Barristers and Police fire bomb Westminster on behalf of the people! So glad I live in Wales out of the way.

Cike Zero, 2 Pint glass.

HOLLY! Tea time dear!

(Thunderbird 2 deposits an entire roast chixken in Holly's bowl.) She is dieting again.

edited August 2022

"Yes, (Prime) Minister" is brilliant! Anyone who hasn't seen it is seriously missing out.

• Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,689MI6 Agent

Apparently it was Margaret Thatcher's favourite comedy.

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).

The BBC should make a modern version of it. There are a couple of comedies such as Veep today, but I don't think they are as litterate and sharp as Yes, (prime) minister was.

• Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,689MI6 Agent

I think it all comes down to the quality of the writing. That's where every film or TV show really starts, at the writing stage. Sadly I fear that the heyday of really good writing is decades behind us at this stage. So many TV shows are derivative or even actual remakes or retreads of earlier classics. That's mostly why I enjoy classic television of the 1960s, 70s and 80s and am generally not so keen on what cane after that, bar a few exceptions. I'm sure there is still good writing talent out there but there's not enough of it for this era to be called a new Golden Age in TV.

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
    edited August 2022

While I agree that a good TV show starts with the writing, I don't agree good writing for TV is a thing of the past. Remember that we mainly remember the very best of the old series. I suspect most series from the 1960-80' were worse written than many shows made in recent years.

Would you really say The Wire, Sopranos, Mad Men, Fargo, House M.D. and (much of) GoT were badly written? I admit these shows were not really comedies, but several had comic aspects.

• CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,195MI6 Agent

Today’s woke society will not allow good comedy to be written anymore, the days of Steptoe & Son, Till Death Us Do Part, Fawlty Towers, The Likely Lads, Only Fools And Horses etc. are long gone. Things will change again, no doubt, and we will have decent comedy series again, but it probably won’t happen in my lifetime.

Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

I don't think Mad Men, House and GoT are worryingly woke ๐Ÿ˜‚

They’re not comedies, N24, I’m talking about situation comedies, two entirely different mediums.

Agreed. Comedy has the power to offend those who seek to be offended which applies to the generation coming up through now.

South Park and Archer are rarely called too woke ...

I've already mentioned Veep as a sharp political satire. There are also very good TV comedies that some may call "woke". Perhaps Community was woke - it certainly was brilliant.

edited August 2022

Oh Archer is beautifully inappropriate!

Pam, Carol and Ray are my favorite characters, and Ayesha Tyler who voices Lana is as beautiful as she is amazing.

I was truly saddened to learn of the passing of Jessica Walter. Incredible actress, she made Mallory Archer very much her own.

Part of the problem is we are now in an era where no one is prepared to take risks.

Thunderbirds got a chance, because Lord Lew Grade believed in the Andersons.

Star Trek The Next Generation got a chance, because Paramount was prepared to take the chance. It is prob why Paramount today is still holding its own, while Fox and Lucasfilm have been absorbed into The House Of Mouse.

We all know how The House of Eon got built.

Today, its either play it safe by going tepid to reduce potential offence, or reboot / reinvent / remake territory, which very rarely brings anything new to the table.

Yes Minister works so well because it IS timeless. The only novel factor is James Hacker is actually an endangered species. An MP that is wanting to do the right things.

(Winces) I'll be back in ten mins, my Sciatica is playing up.

edited July 2023

Nothing says Young & Cool like saying "my sciatica is acting up". ๐Ÿ˜

I had sciatica a few years ago and it was very painful. It seemed to clear up though. It's an ailment I share with two of my literary heroes, Ian Fleming and John Gardner who both suffered with it from time to time.

edited August 2022

CHB: You're a Bond fan who feels modern comedies are too "woke". Archer is just what the doctor ordered!

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent

@Silhouette Man I have a similar connection, as I'm stunningly Handsome ( One of the beautiful people ) I share that fact with

Many Bond actors, I've just had to come to terms with it. ๐Ÿ˜‰

"I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    edited August 2022

It's your cross to bear?.... beer? bare? ๐Ÿค”

edited August 2022

I’ve never seen any of the comedies that you list, but they are all American series, I was specifically calling out British comedies and those that I listed and many others including, Up Pompeii!, On The Buses, Love My Neighbour, Are You Being Served and Mind Your Language would never get made in their original format today. I’m not a fan of American comedies apart from the old ones like The Beverly Hillbillies, Bewitched and Green Acres, they were like the British sitcoms. Yes, I’m out of touch with the modern world, but not so much that I don’t know how to subscribe to streaming items such as BritBox where I can wallow in nostalgia ๐Ÿ˜‚

By the way, this is a proper pub debate - I love it!!!

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent

I think your " Toxic Masculinity " is showing @CoolHandBond ๐Ÿ˜ I've started buying many old Comedies on DVD as I

think in the future many will either be unavailable or heavily edited. I'm reminded of the old Two Ronnies sketch " The

worm that turned " in a future Britain where things like the Clint Eastwood movies are banned for being too Masculine ๐Ÿ˜„

and men have to meet up in secret gatherings to watch them.

"I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."

At least you have something positive in common with Bond people, @Thunderpussy. Conversely, I seem to get all the bad stuff. ๐Ÿ™‚

@Thunderpussy That Two Ronnies sketch where men meet up in secret gatherings to watch banned movies, sounds like the Bijou Cine Club in Soho in the 1970’s, not that I ever went of course, I only heard about it from other people ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‰