A question for gun experts.

1111213141517»

Comments

• 00730073 COPPosts: 977MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    I'm reading "Doctor No" and Fleming mentions one of the henchmen is carrying Remington .3000 carabine. What gun is that?

Here: https://flemingsbond.com/u-s-army-remington-carbine-300/
    "I mean, she almost kills bond...with her ass."
    -Mr Arlington Beech
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,699MI6 Agent
    Oh, simply a M! carabine. Thanks.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    On a slightly different note, .......

Anyone watched The Tiger King on Netflix ? Not to go in to too many details, but One
    Member of his Zoo crew accidentally, when fooling around with his gun Shot Himself.
    Before this happened on screen, I predicted it to my Daughter, as I explained how
    some automatics work
    ( I know nothing about guns, only from what I've seen in movies and the bits and pieces
    I've picked up on AJB, from our far more knowledgeable Members )
    The guy on screen removed the clip of bullets from the gun and proceeded to tease another
    member of staff, and the inevitable happened.
    I expressed my opinion to my daughter that how someone who worked with Guns everyday
    wouldn't know some basic safety techniques.
    Although If anyone has seen the show they fool around with guns all the time, even pointing
    loaded revolvers at the camera crew and eachother.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,483MI6 Agent
    Right TP. First look at this picture for half an hour and memorise it. Cos there’s anything more annoying than a magazine being called a clip. And yeah, I know, all the movies and books do it, but that just means it suspends disbelief and makes anyone that’s handled these things for real rant about it to themselves for an hour.

168-AA93-B-BF76-4-E01-A3-A3-FA0-C917-BEE51.jpg

And here’s another. Just in case you’ve forgotten already.

7-EB26627-DB8-C-43-FA-A0-FE-8-F1117-C689-DA.jpg

But apart from that, you’re right. Removing a fully loaded pistols MAGAZINE doesn’t mean it’s safe. Although some manufacturers did add magazine safety’s to their weapons so that they couldn’t fire without a mag inserted. The Browning Hi Power being one. Anyway, people realised this was dumb, and it isn’t widely used anymore.

Back to the point. If the pistol had a round in the breech, then it was still live as removing the MAGAZINE has no affect on that, and it can still shoot as usual.

Now go back and look at those pictures, I won’t hear of such things again :v :v
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
    :)) I did say I knew Nothing about guns In a shootout, I'd be with the
    women folk, ripping off a strip of my undergarments for bandages. ;)
    Next you'll be telling me holding it sideways and claiming to put a cap
    in someone's Ass, isn't the done thing either !
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,483MI6 Agent
    The English term is “put a cap in your bottom”. They just stole it from us and made it sound more crude.
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
    There seems to be a reality TV genere where people handles dangerous items like idiots even though they should be experts or at least really competent. What's the show about lumberjacks? I saw an episode where a man was clearing a road of trees after a storm. A tree was toppled accross a road and the guy was standing directly under the tree, holding the chainsaw with one arm straight up while cutting it! I've ben in that sort of situation and that's the completely wrong way to do it. I'm surpriced they don't kill themselves in every program. A friend of mine works in a firm that produces cranes for the oil indiustry. he's watched a reality show about workers in the oil industry and he says the same thing: The guys behave like idiots with no consept of safety and common sense.
    :)) I did say I knew Nothing about guns In a shootout, I'd be with the
    women folk, ripping off a strip of my undergarments for bandages. ;)
    Next you'll be telling me holding it sideways and claiming to put a cap
    in someone's Ass, isn't the done thing either !

This is self evident, because the "Real Gun People" always go "commando"!!
    If for no other reason, that to be able to say that they can't rip their........ "undergarments...."? What? You wear a petticoat???
    -Mr Arlington Beech
    Please 0073, My undergarments are my own private business
    and not fitting for public discussion ........ I'm no slag !! :D :p
    Please 0073, My undergarments are my own private business
    and not fitting for public discussion ........ I'm no slag !! :D :p

"Even accountants have imagination" -Vesper Lynd
    -Mr Arlington Beech
    Could the Semmerling LM4 have been a viable gun for James Bond in the 1980's, at least the litterary Bond?

b92fe1d7af6ee3a6ca60e0e3b9aa46db.jpg
    edited September 2020
    https://youtu.be/fnE50OU9R78
    Crazy new gun and caliber !

https://youtu.be/7vJxq8bsuK0
    The worst Internet gun fails :o
    https://youtu.be/MmOASuJKMso
    The gun you never knew you needed.
    I didn't know there were foldable hand
    Guns.
    Number24 wrote:
    Could the Semmerling LM4 have been a viable gun for James Bond in the 1980's, at least the litterary Bond?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-h5j97v2Yqo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxdPbG2PXu4

I would have to say; for literary Bond: maybe. For a moment, imagine the Silver Screen Bond firing Semmerling: DC in his too-tight-for-comfort suit jacket trying to work the action.... :)) :)) :))
    -Mr Arlington Beech
  • chitoryu12chitoryu12 Posts: 16MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:

It's a neat gun but not really practical for the kind of shooting he's doing. Bond carries a small handgun for self-defense, and being able to accurately shoot your target as many times as possible with a handgun in the vitals until they drop is the best way to use it. The Semmerling was the smallest .45 of the period, but modern firearm doctrine holds that the caliber of a handgun is nowhere near as important as shot placement and the .45 statistically is no better than even .380 ACP in actual shootings. Handguns overall suck for gunfights!

Gardner's choice of an FN M1903 was bizarre, even if the gun wasn't bad, but the VP-70 was arguably worse because of its awful trigger pull making accurate fire an impossibility. The ASP he eventually stuck with really was the best concealed carry pistol he could get at the time if he was sparing no expense, taking into account concealability, and the P7 he used for one book is a very fine larger combat pistol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4trmOFxuJw0