A question for gun experts.

Comments

• HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    Typical that another gun thread bites the dust after Asp9mm gave his weird opinion 8-)
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    stag wrote:
    The Domino Effect. Please note that I said GW1.

I did. That's why I said GW2.
  • stagstag Posts: 2,083MI6 Agent
    I was wondering if anyone could ID the pistol held by Sean Connery in what must have been an early publicity shot. It is a long barreled pistol, probably of .22 calibre.

I don't want to post the photo just in case it breaches guidelines so have placed a link to a blog instead - second image down.

I've often wondered what it is, I haven't seen it in any films (though could it be the weapon Bond used to shoot at the helicopter crew in FRWL?)

http://jandjproductions1809.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/james-bond-movies-guide.html
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    Walther LP53
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    So it's an air pistol! I long had suspicions about that. I've just run the name through google & got this:

http://www.jamesbondlifestyle.com/product/walther-lp53
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    stag wrote:
    So it's an air pistol! I long had suspicions about that. I've just run the name through google & got this:

http://www.jamesbondlifestyle.com/product/walther-lp53

I think this question has arose before, as my learned friend Higgins ,has pointed out ,it is indeed an air pistol ,
    Story goes,if I remember, is the guy who ran the props dept ,left the real one behind,and this was the only one they had,
    but no doubt,im bound to be shot down in flames as usual :(
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
  • minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
    The photographer who took the shot just happened to have an LP53 in his car boot so that was used after the proper gun didn't turn up.

Or at least that's what geffs 2bit commodore plus 4 style memory has in the data banks.
    'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
    Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,644MI6 Agent
    minigeff wrote:
    The photographer who took the shot just happened to have an LP53 in his car boot so that was used after the proper gun didn't turn up.

Or at least that's what geffs 2bit commodore plus 4 style memory has in the data banks.

Both AS and MG are correct - I think the gun was used to shoot rats from what I can remember! :)) -{
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
    Does anyone know what happened to this pistol? I bet it would be worth a small fortune.
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,483MI6 Agent
    Sold at auction many times over. Michael Wisher had it most recently (bought for around 1/4 mill if I remember) and when he died it was auctioned again but didn't fetch anywhere near the same amount.
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
    stag wrote:
    Does anyone know what happened to this pistol? I bet it would be worth a small fortune.

In a nutshell, yes. It's in very good hands.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    " it's being looked after by Top Men ! " :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Top Man at least. Not the shop though. That would be silly.
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,417Chief of Staff
    Asp9mm wrote:

So glad this man is the current custodian -{
    YNWA 97
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Asp9mm wrote:

So glad this man is the current custodian -{

I'm not, I want it!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    On top of asking the reason for shooting a gun gangsta style, found this
    Informative video. ( on top of all those on AJB, who said it was a silly way
    to shoot ) :))
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BiaW6nM6oBg
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Ammo08Ammo08 Missouri, USAPosts: 386MI6 Agent
    I grew up with guns, I grew up hunting and I spent 30 years in our military. Truthfully, you don't need super special training to be proficient with a firearm. Some good basic instruction and practice, practice, practice. I generally shoot 200 rounds a month out of my pistols, maybe 50 or so out of my rifles and frankly, I'm way behind some of my friends. The great thing about a gun is that it doesn't take a lot to teach someone, say a peasant, to take care of the weapon and wield it responsibly.

I'm a good rifle shot, but I've been on the range with our scout/snipers and they are unbelievable.

I've had occasion to pull my personal carry gun twice, luckily the sight of the pistol caused the bad people to run. I did have to point my M16 at a man one time in the line of duty. He didn't speak English, but he spoke 5.56NATO. Again, I didn't have to shoot and I'm glad of that.

God didn't make men equal, Mr. Colt did.-Unknown
    "I don't know if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who mean it."-Mark Twain
    'Just because nobody complains doesn't mean all parachutes are perfect.'- Benny Hill (1924-1992)
    A QUESTION FOR GUN EXPERTS:

Does anyone know about the Ruby .32 pistol? What do they shoot like? Are they reliable? What about stopping power of the .32 round? What would you consider the maximum effective range against a man with one of these?

To conceal carry one of these pistols & possibly require the need to bring it into action quickly would you recommend a hip or shoulder holster - why?

Thanks in advance - BTW this info is for use in a WW2 based spy novel I am writing.
    Never handled or fired one., so can't tell you about them. The .32 round is fine for close up work. It served well during two World Wars and there were no complaints from the miriad of people that used it in anger or defence then and since. Shot placement is key.

A good hip holster is quickest, especially back then when shoulder holsters were mostly vericle. The Ruby has a large grip, so with concealment in mind an inside waistband holster without retaining strap would be best, followed by a belt holster and then shoulder.

Could you suggest a compact yet powerful (.45 cal?) semi automatic pistol - not the 1911 - which could be concealed about the person & the type of 'quick draw' holster to allow it to be carried unseen? Both the weapon & the holster would need to have been in production or available in the United States during or before WW2. Thanks in advance.
  • 00730073 COPPosts: 977MI6 Agent
    stag wrote:

Could you suggest a compact yet powerful (.45 cal?) semi automatic pistol - not the 1911 - which could be concealed about the person & the type of 'quick draw' holster to allow it to be carried unseen? Both the weapon & the holster would need to have been in production or available in the United States during or before WW2. Thanks in advance.

Easy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FP-45_Liberator

Or you could go for a classic "Belly Gun" in .45 cal/long colt
    "I mean, she almost kills bond...with her ass."
    -Mr Arlington Beech
    Thanks for the reply. The liberator is unsuitable, I was looking at a compact semi auto in a large calibre (doesn't have to be .45) just so long as it would perform well against man sized targets. I may have to go the revolver route with a short barreled .38 S&W?

BTW I'm not planning on shooting anyone, I'm doing some preliminary research for a new story of mine.
    The 1907 Savage semi auto in .38 cal sounds promising.
    stag wrote:
    Thanks for the reply. The liberator is unsuitable, I was looking at a compact semi auto in a large calibre (doesn't have to be .45) just so long as it would perform well against man sized targets. I may have to go the revolver route with a short barreled .38 S&W?

BTW I'm not planning on shooting anyone, I'm doing some preliminary research for a new story of mine.

There wasn't a compact semi auto .45 back then. The closest you'll get to what you want would be a revolver.
    Looking on the net for a good while before I saw this post confirms that you are right. Just another point, in terms of man stopping power what is the difference (if any) between the .32 & .38 rounds at normal pistol ranges?

Could anyone point me in the direction of a decent semi auto or revolver in either of the above (or similar) calibers which was easily concealed & readily available in wartime America?
    Further to the above, if anyone were to equip a WW2 agent with a pistol, following the need for conceal-ability & firepower what would they choose & why?
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    I suppose the trade off is between firepower and conceal- ability ,is the smaller the weapon ie easier too hide and reduction of muzzle velocity ,but apart from the classics like the PPK ,the Walther P38 , (as used by the man from UNCLE) ,wasn't a bad pistol ,
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
    Two of the most prevalent pistols used for concealed carry during the time - the Colt 1903 & 1908 semi auto's. They served people well during both WW's and beyond and there was never an issue with stopping power. Too much talk about that is given these days mostly due to police officers having to confront juiced up crims who are too high to notice they are shot. Shot placement is more important and arguably was the most effective stopper before bad guys started taking crystal meth.
  • 00730073 COPPosts: 977MI6 Agent
    Asp9mm wrote:
    Shot placement is more important and arguably was the most effective stopper.....

True, last time I had some serious instruction in the use of handgun we were taught to shoot for the pelvic girdle, you blow that to smithereens it'll stop you!
    "I mean, she almost kills bond...with her ass."
    -Mr Arlington Beech
    Thanks for that. I shall be incorporating these details in my next story, I don't know the circumstances in which gun play will be involved yet but I'm guessing it may include someone getting shot in the pelvis!