The Old/Illegal Electrics and Electrical Disaster Stories Thread

2»

Comments

• Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,686MI6 Agent
    A news story I heard on BBC Radio 4 in the car earlier on this week that I wanted to share in this thread. It made me smile and thankfully the monkey involved was unharmed.

Kenya nationwide blackout caused by rogue monkey

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-36475667
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    That story has many questions ....

Was that Monkey Nuts ?
    Was thar Monkey Wrench-ed away?
    and
    Will he end up behind Monkey Bars ?
    or
    Was he just Monkeying around ?
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
    my first task in my first job after finishing uni was to use a sander on something, plugged a rather ropey looking extension lead in which promptly exploded as i switched it on, taking half the plug with it.

an omen? yeah, you could say that :))
    'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
    Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,686MI6 Agent
    minigeff wrote:
    my first task in my first job after finishing uni was to use a sander on something, plugged a rather ropey looking extension lead in which promptly exploded as i switched it on, taking half the plug with it.

an omen? yeah, you could say that :))

Just the sort of story I look for, minigeff, and I'm glad to have it to add to the collection in this thread. Thank you. :) -{
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
    This story made the 6 o'clock news on BBC Radio 4 last night. Thankfully the baboon was only singed in the incident:

http://www.africanews.com/2017/07/17/baboon-hospitalized-after-causing-massive-power-cut-in-zambia/
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,275Chief of Staff
    Thankfully the baboon was only singed

If we had any French-speaking members, they would be delighted with that pun!

("Singe" is French for monkey :)) )
    Barbel wrote:
    Thankfully the baboon was only singed

If we had any French-speaking members, they would be delighted with that pun!

("Singe" is French for monkey :)) )

Ha ha. I was good at French at school, but wasn't particularly aware of that! Funny without even trying to be! :))
  • Dirty PunkerDirty Punker ...Your Eyes Only, darling."Posts: 2,587MI6 Agent
    I would murder your ears with my merde-y French.
    (That had a nice ring to it.)
    Not the accent, necessarily but rather the way I make sentences (or the ones that make no sense, to be fully honest :))).
    I certainly want to improve it, to be honest.
    No crazy electrical disasters but as a kid, I had the (rather annoying) habit of pulling plugs from the walls while not holding the socket in place.
    a reasonable rate of return
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    https://youtu.be/UEfP1OKKz_Q
    British Plugs Are Better Than All Other Plugs, And Here's Why ;)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."

ElectroBOOM on YouTube is great:

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,785MI6 Agent

My grandfather had a high level of tolerance for electricy. When we had a problem with an electric fence on the farm, especially if the current was gone, we used grandad. We took a straw of grass and touched the electrical wire, but we weren't sure. "Grandad, you try ..". He would hold the wire with in his hand. "I'm not sure. Maybe ...". Then we would nervously use our hands and jump. 😂

He did usually wear a pair of rubber boots, but so did we. I remember once he fixed a knot of electric wire while it was raining and he wasn't wearing rubber boots. That's the only time I remember him twitching from electricity.