Bond's film ethnicity/national identity

2»

Comments

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,281Chief of Staff
    Not necessarily, though not inappropriate.
  • zaphod99zaphod99 Posts: 1,415MI6 Agent
    osris wrote:
    I could accept an American actor playing bond if he could do a plausible English or anglicised Scottish accent (like Connery did in his first three Bond films). I say “English” as there is no such thing as a British accent.

Bond is not English though. There may be no one English accent, but from his background and parentage he would likely speak a version of RP. Craig gets this right in my view.
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
  • PeppermillPeppermill DelftPosts: 2,860MI6 Agent
    Sorry, what I meant was: there are a lot of different accents in the English language.
    1. Ohmss 2. Frwl 3. Op 4. Tswlm 5. Tld 6. Ge 7. Yolt 8. Lald 9. Cr 10. Ltk 11. Dn 12. Gf 13. Qos 14. Mr 15. Tmwtgg 16. Fyeo 17. Twine 18. Sf 19. Tb 20 Tnd 21. Spectre 22 Daf 23. Avtak 24. Dad
    Fair enough.
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,787MI6 Agent
    What British accent/dialect would the members here say is the least fitting for Bond? :))
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    What British accent/dialect would the members here say is the least fitting for Bond? :))

Anything that's immediately identifiable as being from a specific location. No James Bond so far has had a local accent. Sean Connery had a hint of Edinburgh, Lazenby had a hint of Australia, Dalton sometimes had a hint of Wales, Brosnan had a hint of Ireland. Moore's and Craig's let us know they're well-educated Englishmen but not from anywhere in particular.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    I beg to differ , Roger Moore, lived in my road in Stockwell (London SW2) and then later he live in the next road to me in Bexley in Kent , and he speaks nuffin like I duz in particular . For the record Rogers dad was a skipper in the Met at Brixton Nick ( for the benefit of number 24 ) he was a police Sargent with the Metropolitan police stationed at Brixton police station ) :D
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,554Chief of Staff
    Number24 wrote:

All of them -{
    YNWA 97
    :D Many of them, anyway!
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Number24 wrote:

All of them -{

All of them are least fitting, including RP English?

OK, if you insist...... the Bond of the future will spek Norwegian :D :))
    I beg to differ , Roger Moore, lived in my road in Stockwell (London SW2) and then later he live in the next road to me in Bexley in Kent , and he speaks nuffin like I duz in particular . For the record Rogers dad was a skipper in the Met at Brixton Nick ( for the benefit of number 24 ) he was a police Sargent with the Metropolitan police stationed at Brixton police station ) :D

This may be of interest: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-1292030/ROGER-MOORE-Why-Im-gunning-people-dont-talk-proper.html
    :D thanks barbel , Daily mail article , gives my story credibility :)) and big Rog lived in Wansunt road in Bexley with his new Mrs,Dorothy squires ,who owned this big white mansion with pillars holding up the front roof . When I tell people I lived near Roger Twice . They all go nah you slag tell us anuvver one :)) for the the record . The great David Bowie lived in the next road in Stockwell , and he went to my school .
    Lucky you- I live near Rab C. Nesbitt!!! :))
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    Lucky you Barbel - I live near half the cast of TOWIE :o

Accents are usually fixed in childhood so it’s likely that Bond would speak with either an accent from his first years in Glencoe, or his early school years in Eton. In my mind I always hear Bond with Connery’s accent, which seems the most appropriate imho.
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
    AA_OLD_MAN_5.jpg
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    :)) :)) Exshactly :))
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
    Lucky you Barbel - I live near half the cast of TOWIE :o

Accents are usually fixed in childhood so it’s likely that Bond would speak with either an accent from his first years in Glencoe, or his early school years in Eton. In my mind I always hear Bond with Connery’s accent, which seems the most appropriate imho.

We go to Alec's in Brentwood , Very Towie
    I live near the supporting cast of Heimebane :D
    I think Bond should speak RP with perhaps a hint of a regional accent. Not too much, because that could turn.... nasty. (to quote Timothy Dalton)
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,932MI6 Agent
    Ethnicity? Anglo-Saxon white Caucasian. This is never in doubt.
    but what about the Picts and the Celts and the Romans and the Danes and the Jutes and the Normans and the French? are they ineligible to play Bond?
    could a member of the royal family play Bond? House of Hanover or Saxe-Coburg, are they not?
    meaning they're Germans. I know the Angles and the Saxons were Germanic tribes, but there were a lot of Germanic tribes, and I'm not sure House of Hanover or Saxe-Coburg were either Angles or Saxons, so they may not qualify either.
    I guess he ment culturally Anglo-Saxon.
    A question to British members:
    Can you name American actors and actresses who speaks British accent(s) particularely well?

And American members:
    Can you name British actors and actors/actresses who speaks American accent(s) particularely well?

To both: Do you have examples of particularely bad attempts at American/British accents? :))
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    A question to British members:
    Can you name American actors and actresses who speaks British accent(s) particularely well?

And American members:
    Can you name British actors and actors/actresses who speaks American accent(s) particularely well?

To both: Do you have examples of particularely bad attempts at American/British accents? :))

Christian Bale does American accents very well. A university professor of mine coached him on copying his southern accent for Public Enemy, and when I saw the film I thought I was sitting in class!

As for a bad American accent, Henry Cavill has failed a number of times at sounding natural at an American accent.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    The only American to do an authentic British accent
    Is ....... Dick van Dyke :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,652MI6 Agent
    I think it’s such an incredible phenomenon that so many Brit and Commonwealth actors are cast in key and supporting roles of high profile productions like The Walking Dead and Band of Brothers! Like, I often wonder if there’s an extreme lack of qualified and talented actual “Americans” to play Americans. There must be a reasonable method to the madness of casting powers that be!
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • Monsieur SixteMonsieur Sixte Posts: 39MI6 Agent
    edited February 2019
    Bumping this as it is a fascinating topic.
  • CheverianCheverian Posts: 1,450MI6 Agent
    As an American, I rarely notice a British actor having trouble with what I’d call a generic American accent. (Regional accents are another story, but American actors stumble over those just as badly if not worse.) I thought Benedict Cumberbatch was generally fine as Dr. Strange but did notice him having trouble with “bargain.” The irony is that in the movie he speaks that word over and over in a time loop.

Matt S praised Christian Bale early in this thread. Often I have heard Americans react in surprise when Bale speaks in his natural accent. They had no idea he was a Brit.
  • Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    I can tell you a Brit who can't do an American accent: Felicity Jones. Based on the trailers for On the Basis of Sex, in which she plays Ruth Bader Ginsberg, she says certain things with an inflection that gives her Britishness away in a heartbeat. Ruth Wilson slips sometimes too, judging from her work on The Affair (Dominic West is great at it). Bale is beyond comparison.
    Hilly...you old devil!