Pros and Cons: On Her Majesty's Secret Service

Comments

• zaphod99zaphod99 Posts: 1,415MI6 Agent
    The only con for me is when George breaks the fourth wall in the beginning. That was more ridiculous than anything from a Rog movie.

Favorite pro: Tracy's cleavage ;)

I really liked the fourth wall thing.As it was in the PTS I think it was fine, elsewhere it would have jarred, but as it was it was a nice way to acknowledge difference and continuarrity ( is 5hat even a word? It looks weird to me ) much as I like George and the PTS I agree Diana's Decolletage is a source of perpetual joy :x
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
  • DaleDale Posts: 12MI6 Agent
    love this film on so many different levels.

I can understand though, at the time not many did. I was the same when DC took over as Bond. I didn't like the change. I refused to stand by and let them take the series in a different direction even though the innuendo's and OTT plots were getting ridiculous by Die Another Die - I still took the change reluctantly. And now, ten odd years later I couldn't imagine anyone else as a noughties Bond.

So I can't even begin to imagine what it was like in 1969 when Lazenby took over the role. Bond wasn't AS established then but this was the first time another actor took the role so it must have been a massive deal for the fans to accept/believe. I'm surprised they didn't pick someone massive at the time to take over from Connery, someone the public knew and could relate to - popular, fine actor.

Out of everyone they could have went for, an unknown Aussie takes the barbie. The only non British/Irish actor to have played 007. But I'm damn glad they did. I'm not saying Lazenby was the best actor in the world, but I simply love watching him in this movie. This movie is kind of like Bond on a bad day - his emotions, vulnerability and rebel sides are seen. Something that perhaps was way ahead of it's time. Had Lazenby had more acting expereince/direction, this could have been Craig's Bond in the making.

However, you can't have it all. But this film certainly has a lot going for it.

Pro's:

The soundtrack. That Louis Armstong instrumental is so powerful and emotional. An elegant piece of music which has to go down in history as one of the best soundtracks in a movie ever. There are even hidden gems beyond the main theme and the romantic melodies such as the track where Bond is brought to his 'new quarters' by Blofeld.

Hillary 'Hilly'. It's fun isn't it? A bit farcical at times but it lends a light hearted nature to an otherwise down to business film. I love the voice used! I also think Lazenby does the love scenes very well.

'Fancy us meeting again so soon' followed by an 'mmmmph' - very funny line! :))

The fight scenes are brilliant. I love the one in the ski shed. The sound effects mixed with such brutality is interesting. I think a lot of this has to do with Peter Hunt's fast paced editing in this film which makes these scenes seem so abrupt and in your face.

Ski scenes are a joy to watch. And i love the scene afterwards when Bond is walking through the crowd. Again, the editing here is masterful. The Christmas songs in the background fit well and add a certain atmosphere.

The villains - Telly Sevalas adds a human dimension to Blofeld whilst Pleasance and Grey played it more cartoonish (not that I don't like their portrayals). I LOVE the menopausal henchwoman (forget her name now) but she is perfection!

Bond's resignation - a sign of a more rebel Bond to come

Car chase/Bob sleigh/Blofeld's lab ending. Some great stunt work and memorable moments.

Tracy/Bond - the whole story is very engaging. The scene in the barn gives off a lovely chemistry. The wedding is brilliant as are M, Q and Moneypenny's screen time. I love the look Bond gives Moneypenny when he throws her the hat. So touching.

The ending - not your typical Bond ending. In fact, it's got to be the most hard hitting Bond ending in the history of the series. Fair enough, we have had sad moments in the series since then but none have ended so randomly, so coldly and so abruptly than this one.

I've missed loads out but this is all I can think of right now. This movie is classic Bond to me and heads and shoulders above many of the Bonds we have had over the years. Do I wish Lazenby did another one? Not really. This is his movie and it is made all the more unique and special because of it.
  • Agent PurpleAgent Purple Posts: 857MI6 Agent
    It's certainly one of the Bond films that has held up the best.
    "Hostile takeovers. Shall we?"
    New 2020 ranking (for now DAF and FYEO keep their previous placements)
    1. TLD 2. TND 3. GF 4. TSWLM 5. TWINE 6. OHMSS 7. LtK 8. TMWTGG 9. L&LD 10. YOLT 11. DAD 12. QoS 13. DN 14. GE 15. SF 16. OP 17. MR 18. AVTAK 19. TB 20. FRWL 21. CR 22. FYEO 23. DAF (SP to be included later)
    Bond actors to be re-ranked later
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    It's been my favourite for years, with only CR vying for the #1 position, but I think
    It's the 60s setting that just gives it the edge. As it's closer to Fleming's time period.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    stag wrote:
    welshboy78 wrote:
    The only Con is that it took bloody ages to release on blu ray!!

Do the old films benefit from blu ray? I must confess to never having seen a blu ray film!

The Ultimate Edition DVD is pretty good if you have that, but the Blu-ray is fantastic. If you have any of the old DVD releases, the Blu-ray is a huge upgrade.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • zaphod99zaphod99 Posts: 1,415MI6 Agent
    It ties with FRWL for the number one spot, in fact it probably jut edges it. I love this film.
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
  • FiremassFiremass AlaskaPosts: 1,910MI6 Agent
    One of my friends is a big Elvis fan so the other night I ended up watching Blue Hawaii (1961). It was good clean fun, but I perked right up during a scene where a girl drives to the beach and runs in the water trying to commit suicide. Elvis is driving behind her in pursuit, parks the car, and then runs into the water to save her. It was like a carbon-copy of the OHMSS scene, except this came out a couple years before the Fleming novel. Not only that, but it was filmed significantly better than the Bond PTS mainly because the girl's head actually goes under water.

I consider the PTS among the worst in the series and seeing Blue Hawaii just re-enforces this notion because any random low-budget film can accomplish this basic "drowning-drama" It's hardly up to the action standard of a Bond opening sequence.
    My current 10 favorite:

1. GE 2. MR 3. OP 4. TMWTGG 5. TSWLM 6. TND 7. TWINE 8.DN 9. GF 10. AVTAK
  • LargosSharkLargosShark Posts: 35MI6 Agent
    I love OHMSS and it's always a constant Top 5 in any ranking I'd put together, no question. So many pro's, there are too many to list. With regards to cons, there aren't many for me. Ok, so Lazenby isn't, or at least wasn't then, the greatest actor but the story pulls him through and his end scene is outstanding and his greatest scene. He pulls off the grief of losing Tracey incredibly well.

My main problems with the movie are that there is that, too many times, are we reminded of Connery before (................the other fella, the scene in Bond's office, the caretaker whistling Goldfinger etc); for me it takes a little away from Lazenby, this being his Bond movie an' all.

But, as much as they are a slight annoyance, in the grand scheme of things they are the tiniest of cons in an otherwise superb adventure. For me, the most underrated of Bond movies; not necessarily on these communities, but within the media and casual movie goers; all in my own humble opinion of course.
  • asioasio Melbourne, AustraliaPosts: 546MI6 Agent
    OHMSS is easily my favourite Bond film for many reasons.
    The only CON I have about it is when the Australian TV networks play Bond marathons (usually 1 film per weekend) they always have OHMSS start around 9:30PM or later. Throw in advertisements and the movie doesn't finish until midnight.
    I'm not as young as I once was, so staying up past 11PM (even on a weekend) is quite a rarity.
    Drawn Out Dad.
    Independent, one-shot comic books from the outskirts of Melbourne, Australia.
    twitter.com/DrawnOutDad
  • Xfire2k15Xfire2k15 Posts: 31MI6 Agent
    I watched the whole movie for the first time last night (I only saw caught the wedding and Tracy's death) It was very good! Shame GL didn't do one more bond at least. :(
  • IanTIanT Posts: 573MI6 Agent
    Firemass wrote:
    One of my friends is a big Elvis fan so the other night I ended up watching Blue Hawaii (1961). It was good clean fun, but I perked right up during a scene where a girl drives to the beach and runs in the water trying to commit suicide. Elvis is driving behind her in pursuit, parks the car, and then runs into the water to save her. It was like a carbon-copy of the OHMSS scene, except this came out a couple years before the Fleming novel. Not only that, but it was filmed significantly better than the Bond PTS mainly because the girl's head actually goes under water.

I consider the PTS among the worst in the series and seeing Blue Hawaii just re-enforces this notion because any random low-budget film can accomplish this basic "drowning-drama" It's hardly up to the action standard of a Bond opening sequence.

I've not seen Blue Hawaii so I can't compare, but I really think the PTS for OHMSS is pretty well done. Now I know that tyres don't screech on sand, but somehow, that doesn't matter a jot.

The editing is great, I love the slightly disjointed way it looks - it really captures your eye.

As for the 4th wall moment - not keen, but I can live with it, and then straight into the titles.

Brilliant!!
    On the 4th wall line, someone mentioned that you can if you wish look at it this way .....

Bond is left holding her shoes, so it actually a quip about Prince Charming. ;)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • FiremassFiremass AlaskaPosts: 1,910MI6 Agent
    Okay so I just watched the old Special Edition DVD…wow, the PTS looks a heck of a lot better than the Ultimate Edition I usually watch. It doesn't have that weird blue tint that makes it look like night. I wonder what Lowry Digital was thinking!? Does the latest blu-ray fix this?

Anyway…I enjoyed the film more than I ever have in the past. I still wouldn't rank it in my top 10, but I do think it's cool. -{

The brainwashing stuff with the Angels of Death sure is cheesy though…I feel like Our Man Flint was placed in the middle section of an otherwise serious Bond film.
    My current 10 favorite:

1. GE 2. MR 3. OP 4. TMWTGG 5. TSWLM 6. TND 7. TWINE 8.DN 9. GF 10. AVTAK
  • The Wicker ManThe Wicker Man EnglandPosts: 434MI6 Agent
    Firemass wrote:

Anyway…I enjoyed the film more than I ever have in the past. I still wouldn't rank it in my top 10, but I do think it's cool. -{

The brainwashing stuff with the Angels of Death sure is cheesy though…I feel like Our Man Flint was placed in the middle section of an otherwise serious Bond film.

In my best brainwashing voice...... "Just relax. Close your eyes. You will place OHMSS in your top 10, you will place OHMSS in your top 10, you will place OHMSS in your top 10......."
    1.ohmss 2.cr 3.frwl 4.ltk 5.gf 6.tswlm 7.sf 8.op 9.tld 10.dn 11.lald 12.tb 13.fyeo 14.ge 15.mr 16.yolt 17.tnd 18.avtak 19.sp 20.twine 21.qos 22.tmwtgg 23.daf 24.dad
    :)) :)) :))
  • GrindelwaldGrindelwald Posts: 1,294MI6 Agent
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrTQehrpsTM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrFVEOsj1qk

Could've gone on 2 vacations for what I paid for this :s -{ {[]
  • bluemanblueman PDXPosts: 1,667MI6 Agent
    Firemass wrote:
    Okay so I just watched the old Special Edition DVD…wow, the PTS looks a heck of a lot better than the Ultimate Edition I usually watch. It doesn't have that weird blue tint that makes it look like night. I wonder what Lowry Digital was thinking!? Does the latest blu-ray fix this?
    Haven't seen the Blu-ray but that blue tint was how the film looked in its original release. Old film stock like that started to degrade almost immediately, with the blue end of the spectrum leeching out first, why so many westerns on TV back in the day look so nice and reddish...the blue that was there has simply faded away.
  • Gala BrandGala Brand Posts: 1,172MI6 Agent
    Firemass wrote:

Back in the Sixties, the idea of brainwashing and mind control showed up in some relatively serious popular movies. The Manchurian Candidate, The Clockwork Orange, Fahrenheit 451. On TV, The Prisoner. There were a lot of books about how the advertising industry brainwashed people. The Man is out to get you was a popular theme. So, the brainwashing stuff in OHMSS may not have seemed out of place back then.

Now we know that is all nonsense. Or that's what the Man wants us to think!
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent
    Have the latest edition Blu Ray and recently watched it. Good Bond film with some great moments. Lazenby looks like Bond, fights like Bond, is mediocre at best acting-wise and IMO just doesn't have "it". The Blu Ray looks and sounds great and film almost seems refreshingly "quaint" and "organic" compared to today's big action blockbusters. If Timothy Dalton had been 30plus rather than 22 in '68 and cast as Bond, OHMSS would probably be hands down the greatest Bond film (well IMO anyway).
    HowardB wrote:
    OHMSS would probably be hands down the greatest Bond film (well IMO anyway).

It is!!!!

When I watch Lazenby's performance I regard his awkwardness as a good thing. I imagine that he has recently been promoted to the 00 section and he's a bit giddy on power etc.

When you look at it in that way, I think it really makes the film work much better.
    Agreed, I know it might make no sense to some, but I think of it in a similar
    way. Bond is a new "00" -{
    Agreed, I know it might make no sense to some, but I think of it in a similar
    way. Bond is a new "00" -{

Exactly! I'm glad we think alike.

Actually, that's a scary thought. But I can live with it.
    :)) you are obviously an intellectual sir. Like what I is. :D
    Lazenby seems vulnerable, you can believe he's falling in love.
    I can't buy Bond as a new 00 agent when he reminisces about his old missions in his office and had just spent two years trying to find Blofeld.
    As I said in my post, it probably won't make sense to most but it does
    to me. ;) I love the film, it's practly perfect as far as I'm concerned. -{

I also think it's practically perfect, which is why I don't feel the need to make up excuses for George Lazenby.
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,689MI6 Agent
    Count me in as a major Lazenby/OHMSS fan too. It's my No. 1 Bond film! :) -{
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,557Chief of Staff
    Matt S wrote:

I also think it's practically perfect, which is why I don't feel the need to make up excuses for George Lazenby.

Same here...I think George does a cracking job -{
    YNWA 97
    Can't see where I made an "Excuse " for Lazenby ? But as always I'll bow to your
    superiority Matt S.
    Can't see where I made an "Excuse " for Lazenby ? But as always I'll bow to your
    superiority Matt S.

IanT made the excuse for Lazenby's "awkwardness" and you said you think of it in a similar way.

Am I acting like I'm superior to you? I apologise if that was my tone.