About a 'like' button?

Well, as the title suggests, how about having a 'like' button so instead of having to post a new post saying '+1' etc, you just click one button and your 'like' appears at the bottom of the post you think is a good one.
'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
www.helpforheroes.org.uk
www.cancerresearchuk.org

Comments

• Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,672MI6 Agent
    Just like on Facebook and Twitter (there's a "favourite" button on there) - yes, why not? :) -{
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    Perhaps it could be the AJB gun barrel logo.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I'd like a like button. :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    I don't like them. They are used far too much to belittle other posts and create cliques by people who lack the acumen to reply cohesively. Far too many forums have been divided by these. If you like or agree with someones post, then... er... just say so. The 'like' button on both FB and Twitter leads to more arguments than anything else.
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
    +1 ( :)) )
  • danjaq_0ffdanjaq_0ff The SwampsPosts: 7,283MI6 Agent
    Id like a button to press to shut my Mrs up ;%
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    edited January 2015
    Asp9mm wrote:
    I don't like them. They are used far too much to belittle other posts and create cliques by people who lack the acumen to reply cohesively. Far too many forums have been divided by these. If you like or agree with someones post, then... er... just say so. The 'like' button on both FB and Twitter leads to more arguments than anything else.

-1, don't like the person who posted this at all! 8-)
    Additionally Asp9mm and Microjiff can't be belittled - there is no such thing like negative body growth :D
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    danjaq_0ff wrote:
    Id like a button to press to shut my Mrs up ;%

If you've found one, send a copy over to me :D
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    I find that Wine does that :))
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • Thunderbird 2Thunderbird 2 East of Cardiff, Wales.Posts: 2,777MI6 Agent
    Asp9mm wrote:

:v Thunderbird Too!
    This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,672MI6 Agent
    Asp9mm wrote:

Well that's certainly another way of looking at it. :) -{
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
    stag wrote:
    I'd just like to say I like the idea of a like button. indeed I like it a lot.

Yes, indeed. Given the opportunity you would dig it; you would dig it swiftly. :)) -{
  • LexiLexi LondonPosts: 3,000MI6 Agent
    I'm kinda with Asp9mm on this...

AJB is a forum - where you debate and talk - a like button would just be dumbing down this site... it's all too easy to press a button, where's the opinion, or a point of discussion? A like button would just be a lazy person's way of 'taking part' but without the effort. :#
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony
    edited January 2015
    Lexi wrote:

AJB is a forum - where you debate and talk - a like button would just be dumbing down this site... it's all too easy to press a button, where's the opinion, or a point of discussion? A like button would just be a lazy person's way of 'taking part' but without the effort. :#

I'm coming around very much to this view myself, the more I think about it. There is far too much "dumbing down" in the world today as it is without dear AJB following suit! :#
    I too am coming round to not liking the like button idea. I'd much
    Rather people took the time to write a short answer about how brilliant
    I am and how great my ideas are, rather than simply hit a button. ;)
    Seriously I can see how it could cause a few problems and there's nothing
    Wrong with a +1, except at a singles party. :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Thunderbird 2Thunderbird 2 East of Cardiff, Wales.Posts: 2,777MI6 Agent
    Sorry Pussy, I disagree. At a singles party the right +1 could be a lot of fun! :D
    This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?
    You clearly haven't seen some of the "+1" I've turned up with. :))
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,515Chief of Staff
    I get what minigeff is saying though...too often people just add '+1' without adding any further content...but is "Yes, I agree with your post" much better ? ....
    YNWA 97
    Sadly they aren't used like that though. The system is abused by a reply that is derogatory to the first poster being 'liked' by those that just dislike the first poster or are mates with the second. On two of the forums I was moderator on, as well as a few others I know of, the reputation and like buttons were scrapped. They became a snidey way of getting to someone without actually having to post constructively.
  • minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
    I can understand people's thoughts on a like button being misused, but I think if people want to be nasty, they'll do it regardless of a like button or not.

In my own personal experience a like button has been very popular, in fact there was hell to pay when it got taken away.

The whole idea of a like button is so people can easily and quickly state their support for someone's comment without having to clog up the boards with '+1' posts. After clicking 'like' your name would appear in a list of users who have done the same in the original post you liked;

Minigeff, PWW306R, spyboys, higgywiggywoowoo and 3 others liked this post
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • 7700777007 Posts: 502MI6 Agent
    +1.

You can still comment and like if you want, or just do a driveby liking. Helps unclutter threads with long quoted pic or text posts . Shows support and appreciation with one click. Most forums have them, and they arent really ever used for evil.
  • LexiLexi LondonPosts: 3,000MI6 Agent
    minigeff wrote:
    I can understand people's thoughts on a like button being misused, but I think if people want to be nasty, they'll do it regardless of a like button or not.

In my own personal experience a like button has been very popular, in fact there was hell to pay when it got taken away.

The whole idea of a like button is so people can easily and quickly state their support for someone's comment without having to clog up the boards with '+1' posts. After clicking 'like' your name would appear in a list of users who have done the same in the original post you liked;

Minigeff, PWW306R, spyboys, higgywiggywoowoo and 3 others liked this post

Sorry MG, I'm still going to have to disagree with you on this.

Twitter and FB are the places for likes or 'favourited' posts... but it still denotes a lack of energy and thought.

Forum by definition means a place of debate - and even though we have people post a +1.... it's not that common. I think we would get a lot less people contributing in detail, if they could just hit a button.

I would much rather have an app for the site...
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony
  • AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    I've been on Forums where a 'Like' Button has formed rather unnecessary Cliques. So I'm personally against the Idea -{
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    Lexi wrote:

im with Lexi on this , every one has the chance of putting their view forward ,
    yes I can see MGs point ,but I personally enjoy reading my learned colleagues views .(wether I agree with them is a different kettle of fish)
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
  • 7700777007 Posts: 502MI6 Agent
    Cliques? What do you call what we have now? Nothing will change. Fear of cliques is silly to me. Every forum has them like it or not. A like button isn't stopping someone with something to say from saying it.

Its quality posts we should strive for, not quantity. :007)
    77007 wrote:
    Cliques? What do you call what we have now? Nothing will change. Fear of cliques is silly to me. Every forum has them like it or not. A like button isn't stopping someone with something to say from saying it.

Exactly, it's a way for those who want a sly dig to do it without saying anything. It's not about cliques, but preventing snidey put downs.
    I do like a snide remark, then hide behind my ornate
    Girlish fan . :D as I flutter it in a wild coquettish
    Manner. ;)
    I do like a snide remark, then hide behind my ornate
    Girlish fan . :D as I flutter it in a wild coquettish
    Manner. ;)

I find that strangely arousing, I must admit.
    :)) :)) Mr Darcy, Really !!! :D
  • minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
    Maybe an 'ooh la la' button would be more appropriate? :)
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org