Pros and Cons: The Man with the Golden Gun

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Moore was so good in ALL his movies ! ;)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,290Chief of Staff
    +1. IMHO, it's easy to not like Moore as Bond, but it's hard to not like Moore! His charm and easy manner goes a long way.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    If we could all try to be a bit more like Roger, the world would be a better place. ;)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • heartbroken_mr_draxheartbroken_mr_drax New Zealand Posts: 2,073MI6 Agent
    chrisisall wrote:
    Moore was so good in this movie.

He is. Big step-up from his performance in LALD. I guess the story requires some acting alongside Lee.
    1. TWINE 2. FYEO 3. MR 4. TLD 5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS 7. DN 8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. TMWTGG 11. QoS 12. GE 13. CR 14. TB 15. FRWL 16. TND 17. LTK 18. GF 19. SF 20. LaLD 21. YOLT 22. NTTD 23. DAD 24. DAF. 25. SP

"Better make that two."
  • Agent PurpleAgent Purple Posts: 857MI6 Agent
    chrisisall wrote:

He is. Big step-up from his performance in LALD.

I agree. While I like his L&LD performance, I give it an A-. He goes into A avg territory for me in TMWTGG. He seemed a bit too gentlemanly in L&LD, but in TMWTGG he really proves himself.

However, I personally think his performance in TSWLM is even better. I give him an A+ there.
    "Hostile takeovers. Shall we?"
    New 2020 ranking (for now DAF and FYEO keep their previous placements)
    1. TLD 2. TND 3. GF 4. TSWLM 5. TWINE 6. OHMSS 7. LtK 8. TMWTGG 9. L&LD 10. YOLT 11. DAD 12. QoS 13. DN 14. GE 15. SF 16. OP 17. MR 18. AVTAK 19. TB 20. FRWL 21. CR 22. FYEO 23. DAF (SP to be included later)
    Bond actors to be re-ranked later
    He seemed a bit too gentlemanly in L&LD

I think he sorta came across like a preppy young brit just outa Oxford or something. Seems more manly after!
    1. TWINE 2. FYEO 3. MR 4. TLD 5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS 7. DN 8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. TMWTGG 11. QoS 12. GE 13. CR 14. TB 15. FRWL 16. TND 17. LTK 18. GF 19. SF 20. LaLD 21. YOLT 22. NTTD 23. DAD 24. DAF. 25. SP

"Better make that two."
  • DevereauxDevereaux EnglandPosts: 35MI6 Agent
    chrisisall wrote:

That he was!...plenty of one liners with Roger's usual impeccable delivery.

Bernard Lee's M is superb, world weary and a general exasperation with Bond & Q

Christopher Lee's wondeful gentleman villian

The dinner table scene, definitely a highlight of the movie.

JW Pepper - not exactly the most popular of characters, but I have to say I admired the enthusiasm Clifton James brought to the role.

Maud Adams, a beautiful woman who seemed to know her fate was already sealed from the very beginning of the movie.
  • am747am747 Posts: 720MI6 Agent
    The "island" is also popularly referred to as the James Bond Island

600full-the-man-with-the-golden-gun-screenshot.jpg
  • Willard WhyteWillard Whyte Posts: 166MI6 Agent
    IMO this is Sir Rogers best outing closely followed by Moonraker.
    I smell a rat
    BluRay marathon!

Pros:

- Like LALD, plot is interesting and easy to follow.
    - Roger Moore looks good and is comfortable in the role.
    - Scaramanga is an excellent villain, played brilliantly by Christopher Lee.
    - Locations are great, Hong Kong is cool and Phuket is iconic.
    - Soundtrack is great, good blend of fun and seriousness. Theme is beautiful, one of the greats.
    - Interactions between Scaramanga and Bond are fantastic, in particular the lunch.
    - The fun-house is original and creates a tense mood.
    - Andrea Andes' hotel room is a beautiful set.
    - Finale of fun-house and recovery of Solex is suspenseful.
    - "Oh a surprise! hehehe"

Cons:

- Return of Sheriff J W Pepper is unnecessary.
    - Karate and related boat chase feels superfluous.
    - Mary Goodnight is a terrible character, continual fall-girl.
    - Mixed up cultures in certain parts of the film, Thai/Chinese/Japanese etc.
    - Action scenes are a bit average.

BluRay:

Clear and good-looking, not as vibrant as some of the others, clarity is great.

Overall:

Overall TMWTGG marks the last of the comedic Bonds and IMO it is the best in terms of balance. The plot is intriguing, fun and tense. Roger is having a good time and solidifies into the role. IMO I am glad that they changed tone afterwards and jumped up to the level of TSWLM but I still love TMWTGG!

"Better make that two."
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    Overall TMWTGG marks the last of the comedic Bonds and IMO it is the best in terms of balance.

You've obviously seen MR, but have you? That film has more gags than TMWTGG.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits

- Mary Goodnight is a terrible character, continual fall-girl.

Not all BGs will be the same. Goodnight character was written to be comical where she has to sleep in the cupboard, inadvertently hand over the Solex to Scaramanga, press "that" button with her butt that activated the Solex, etc :))
    After rewatching TMWTGG, here's my new list of Ps and Cs for it:

Pros:

-Christopher Lee is fantastic as Scaramanga. He makes for a charming villain with some menace as well.
    -Moore gives a better performance than in L&LD.
    -Nick Nack is an alright henchman.
    -J. W. Pepper is somewhat less disgusting than in L&LD.
    -Mary Goodnight may be a bit ditzy, but she's a likeable ditz.
    -The score is fantastic, and gives the film an epic feel.
    -The slide whistle doesn't bother me like it does for others.

Cons:
    -The martial arts school scene. It just feels like a dumb way to deal with Bond and is a clear cash in on the martial arts craze of the time.
    -Moore, although excellent here, hasn't yet reached full power. That will come in TSWLM (imo).

Overall, I love TMWTGG, and give it a 9/10.
    1. TLD 2. TND 3. GF 4. TSWLM 5. TWINE 6. OHMSS 7. LtK 8. TMWTGG 9. L&LD 10. YOLT 11. DAD 12. QoS 13. DN 14. GE 15. SF 16. OP 17. MR 18. AVTAK 19. TB 20. FRWL 21. CR 22. FYEO 23. DAF (SP to be included later)
    Matt S wrote:
    Overall TMWTGG marks the last of the comedic Bonds and IMO it is the best in terms of balance.

DAF to TMWTGG IMO fit within the range of Bond films that are based mostly on comedy. Yep, other films have gags, but they're not as overall as light and fluffy as these three.

"Better make that two."
    ^Interestingly, all those 3 films were Hamilton films.
    Matt S wrote:

DAF to TMWTGG IMO fit within the range of Bond films that are based mostly on comedy. Yep, other films have gags, but they're not as overall as light and fluffy as these three.

I've always thought of MR as the fluffiest Bond film! :D
    Matt S wrote:
    I've always thought of MR as the fluffiest Bond film! 

:)) yeah I guess Moonraker's overall plot is hampered by the ability to believe what's going on! But I can! :p

"Better make that two."
    Matt S wrote:

:)) yeah I guess Moonraker's overall plot is hampered by the ability to believe what's going on! But I can! :p

I'm not even talking about outer space. It's the ridiculous lines Bond, Goodhead and Drax say. Jaws is always used for laughs in this film. The Bondola chase is all for laughs. And lots more!
    Matt S wrote:
    Matt S wrote:

I'm not even talking about outer space. It's the ridiculous lines Bond, Goodhead and Drax say. Jaws is always used for laughs in this film. The Bondola chase is all for laughs. And lots more!

I agree. MR is funny (some scenes may have unintentionally become funny too) and I consider it a pro for the film as you can put it on anytime and sit back and enjoy .... There are probably only a couple of serious scenes - when the dogs chased Corrinne and when Moore is locked in the simulator (and Moore played that superbly, esp. after he comes out of it and refuses to take Goodhead's help)

On the other hand, TMWTGG has more tense moments including the exchange b/w Scaramanga and Bond on the Island, Scaramanga-Andrea relationship, Fat and Andrea getting killed, Bond hitting Andra, etc.

Overall, there is not much to separate most of the Moore films as far as funny moments are concerned
    Every word that comes out of Christopher Lee's lips is pure gold when playing Scaramanga.

It can't be understated what a terrific actor the man was.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    Every word that comes out of Christopher Lee's lips is pure gold when playing Scaramanga.

He MADE the film as enjoyable as it was IMHO. -{
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
    chris, what's your opinion of TMWTGG's score?
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,290Chief of Staff
    chrisisall wrote:

100%- he was born to be a Bond villain.
    chrisisall wrote:

Agree. He's a sensational villain!!

"Better make that two."
  • Julius No M.D.Julius No M.D. Posts: 110MI6 Agent
    TMWTGG is a sad story No Bond film is bad, but no Bond film had as much lost potential as this one.

It started with a unique plot of an assassin wanting to kill Bond instead of a villain wanting to dominate the world with a mega-weapon. Instead of building on the original premise, it reverts to the standard formula with a solar laser cannon. It also copies Goldfinger with the moribund mistress trope too.

From what I've heard, the female character in Fleming's novel version was a unique character but EON decided to ramp up the misogyny with Ekland's character instead.

It had a great evil lair which was underused.

At an unjustifiable length of 125 minutes, it had at least a half-hour of gratuitous kung fu and chase scenes which could have been cut. If this were only a 90 minute short film but every scene was completely necessary, I would have been totally fine with that.
    edited November 2015

TMWTGG is a sad story No Bond film is bad, but no Bond film had as much lost potential as this one.

It had a great evil lair which was underused.

I don't know what "underused" refers to but, imo, TMWTGG features one of the most unique sequences taking place at a villain's lair. From the moment, Bond flies in the Seabee to the Island, the movie climbs a level. We see some great exchanges b/w Scaramanga and Bond, and the duel gives the movie a different feel. The part where Bond removes the Solex is interesting as well. All these is supported by an excellent background score .... To add to it, the battle b/w Nack and Bond on the boat is nicely done as well

The excellent finale is supported by an unique PTS, the funny interaction amongst Goodnight, Andrea and Bond (which is again unique and probably repeated to a degree in LTK), Scaramanga's initiative to takeover from Fat, some well done sequences in Macao and HK hotel, shots of the sunk QE, the car and boat chases, etc. Not to forget the performance by Lee

It is not a film where one good sequence leads to another (such as in FYEO) but a film which mixes excellent sequences with good to avg sequences where the excellent sequences are supposed to make up for any potential shortcomings .... And Bond franchise needs different type of films every now and then .... TMWTGG could be a film with lost potential or a film not understood well enough by everyone :)
    TMWTGG generally seems to be a love or hate Bond film, although MR is prob even more controversial.

Sadly TMWTGG has some " Slap your forehead" moments, the escape
    From the karate school, where they leave Bond behind 8-)

:)) that was a funny moment .... However, a possible explanation could be that Hip wanted to protect his nieces. If he had taken Bond with him, the karate school goons would have followed them potentially putting the nieces at risk .... And the risk management strategy worked as the goons followed Bond
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    am747 wrote:
    . And the risk management strategy worked as the goons followed Bond
    As good an explanation as any! :D
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
    chris, what's your opinion regarding the slide whistle?