Questions [SPOILERS]

Seen the film now. Loved it. Possibly even adored it, will know after my second viewing. One thing's for sure, it's a far more traditional Bond adventure which is just what the doctor ordered as far as I'm concerned.

I often come away from these films with one or two questions or confusions regarding the plot - moments where I feel like I've missed something along the way. I thought I'd make a thread for anyone with any similar niggles.

Mine are:
Is it established exactly why Hinx kills the guy at the Spectre meeting? It seemed to me like the traditional 'we don't tolerate failure' moment but I missed exactly what it was the guy had done wrong?

And
When Bond is desperately trying to get Blofeld to turn off the footage of White's suicide to protect Swann, why exactly is he so passionate about it? Is he simply trying to stop her from seeing her father's death, or does he feel that it implicates him in some way? I wasn't quite sure, which took me out of the moment slightly. He explained to her how White died so I'm not sure exactly what the revelation would be.

There we are. Thanks! -{

Comments

• LiparusLiparus Posts: 11MI6 Agent
    Seen the film now. Loved it. Possibly even adored it, will know after my second viewing. One thing's for sure, it's a far more traditional Bond adventure which is just what the doctor ordered as far as I'm concerned.

I often come away from these films with one or two questions or confusions regarding the plot - moments where I feel like I've missed something along the way. I thought I'd make a thread for anyone with any similar niggles.

Mine are:
    Is it established exactly why Hinx kills the guy at the Spectre meeting? It seemed to me like the traditional 'we don't tolerate failure' moment but I missed exactly what it was the guy had done wrong?

I think, As the replacement for Sciarra is requested, the Italian makes a wonderful speech regarding finding the right kind of person whilst offering his services.......Hinx, unimpressed, demonstrates his ruthless efficiency in one cold action, and therefore impresses ESB.

And
    When Bond is desperately trying to get Blofeld to turn off the footage of White's suicide to protect Swann, why exactly is he so passionate about it? Is he simply trying to stop her from seeing her father's death, or does he feel that it implicates him in some way? I wasn't quite sure, which took me out of the moment slightly. He explained to her how White died so I'm not sure exactly what the revelation would be.

I don't think he is implicated - he has done a deal with White and offered himself to protect her, but never the less does not want her to see her own father kill himself.

There we are. Thanks! -{
    As the replacement for Sciarra is requested, the Italian makes a wonderful speech regarding finding the right kind of person whilst offering his services.......Hinx, unimpressed, demonstrates his ruthless efficiency in one cold action, and therefore impresses ESB.
  • i expect u2 diei expect u2 die LondonPosts: 583MI6 Agent
    Liparus wrote:
    As the replacement for Sciarra is requested, the Italian makes a wonderful speech regarding finding the right kind of person whilst offering his services.......Hinx, unimpressed, demonstrates his ruthless efficiency in one cold action, and therefore impresses ESB.

I see...

I'm not sure this is particularly clear to be honest. Does that mean that Hinx is therefore Sciarra's replacement? The impression I got with him emerging from the shadows is that he is simply the muscle, called upon when required, rather than an operating member of Spectre. His killing of the Italian just didn't make sense to me - why exactly was Hinx unimpressed - and why was he not sitting at the table with the rest of them?
  • PredatorPredator Posts: 790Chief of Staff
    I suspect that there might have been more to these scenes and that the editing perhaps left a little confusion in. They were too busy trying to have Waltz in frame for his pregnant pauses to infer fully what was going on.

Nevertheless, I suspect that you right Liparus
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,558Chief of Staff
    Liparus wrote:

I see...

I'm not sure this is particularly clear to be honest. Does that mean that Hinx is therefore Sciarra's replacement? The impression I got with him emerging from the shadows is that he is simply the muscle, called upon when required, rather than an operating member of Spectre. His killing of the Italian just didn't make sense to me - why exactly was Hinx unimpressed - and why was he not sitting at the table with the rest of them?

Sorry...I thought it was crystal clear and left no room for doubt...at all !
    YNWA 97
  • JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,236MI6 Agent
    I did wonder about point number 2 myself. I just gathered that bond didn't want Madeline to witness her father's death
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby
  • Colonel ShatnerColonel Shatner Chavtastic Bristol, BritainPosts: 574MI6 Agent
    With the former question I get the impression the generic SPECTRE minion got killed out of hand because he came across as a phoney sycophant to Hinx and Hinx decided with his bare hands he was the more worthy new SPECTRE enforcer.
    'Alright guard, begin the unnecessarily slow moving dipping mechanism...'
  • Smiert-SpionamSmiert-Spionam Posts: 318MI6 Agent
    With the former question I get the impression the generic SPECTRE minion got killed out of hand because he came across as a phoney sycophant to Hinx and Hinx decided with his bare hands he was the more worthy new SPECTRE enforcer.

Pretty much exactly how I saw it -{
    Smiert Spionam
  • i expect u2 diei expect u2 die LondonPosts: 583MI6 Agent
    Alright, here's another one. I'll do away with the spoiler tags.

The netting that Bond (and Swann) jump onto to escape the burning MI6 building. Why's it there? Did Blofeld deliberately give them an escape route? Or is it something to do with the restoration of the building?
  • VandrellVandrell London, EnglandPosts: 324MI6 Agent
    Alright, here's another one. I'll do away with the spoiler tags.

The netting that Bond (and Swann) jump onto to escape the burning MI6 building. Why's it there? Did Blofeld deliberately give them an escape route? Or is it something to do with the restoration of the building?

They put nets up in delapidated buildings to catch falling rubble. If men had been on site to rig the explosives for demolition, it would make sense to have it there.
    The netting made sense.

Why the heck was there a fuel refinery right in the middle of Blofelds' high tech compound?!

Why didn't Bond loot then burn down Mr. White's log cabin?
    The netting made sense.

Why the heck was there a fuel refinery right in the middle of Blofelds' high tech compound?!

Perhaps he needed fuel to run his operations...can't see someone piping in gas and oil all the way out there :D

Why would you do that ?:)
    YNWA 97
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Perhaps he needed fuel to run his operations...can't see someone piping in gas and oil all the way out there :D

Yes, his SPECTRE complex needed fuel for the pool of vehicles and aircraft to get to the outside world, but having massive fuel lines RIGHT UP AGAINST the main habitation/control hub of the SPECTRE complex?!

Well not ruthlessly covering up his tracks at Mr. White's hideout led Hinx's crew to Ms. Swan to start with.
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    Sir Miles wrote:

Well not ruthlessly covering up his tracks at Mr. White's hideout led Hinx's crew to Ms. Swan to start with.

I'm not sure that looting and torching the cabin would make any difference. Given that Bond was being tracked via the maguffins in his blood, torching the cabin would be pointlessly destructive.

And what loot would he want? The chess board? :))
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
    Sir Miles wrote:

Yes, his SPECTRE complex needed fuel for the pool of vehicles and aircraft to get to the outside world, but having massive fuel lines RIGHT UP AGAINST the main habitation/control hub of the SPECTRE complex?!

Well you have to put them somewhere :D

And it does look pretty cool -{

Also, it's not like some secret agent is going to break free and blow it all up....is it ? :s :))
    YNWA 97
  • LexiLexi LondonPosts: 3,000MI6 Agent
    Sir Miles wrote:

I'm not sure that looting and torching the cabin would make any difference. Given that Bond was being tracked via the maguffins in his blood, torching the cabin would be pointlessly destructive.

And what loot would he want? The chess board? :))

Also, he saw the camera filming him...so he knew he was identified anyway.

Destroying the cabin would take too long anyway...and wouldn't achieve anything.
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,302Chief of Staff
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:

Well you have to put them somewhere :D

And it does look pretty cool -{

Also, it's not like some secret agent is going to break free and blow it all up....is it ? :s :))

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MadeOfExplodium
  • Thunderbird 2Thunderbird 2 East of Cardiff, Wales.Posts: 2,777MI6 Agent
    edited October 2015
    I need to see the film a second time myself, but here are the questions I have at present...

1) Was there coup d'etat in Quantum, which meant it evolved into Spectre?

To me that seems more likely than one being an active subsidiary of the other. Plus CR-06 and QoS establish that Vesper and Le Chiffre were being used by Quantum, they were not insiders. Silva's back story also clarifies he was not part of either organisation. - As far as I know?

2) M-Malry was the head of the security committee before he replaced M-Manf. How on earth did C manage to gain so much influence and clout in such a short time? (The C character and his plot line is the weakest part of the whole film for me.)

3) The MI6 building is a gutted shell. If three years have passed as in reality, why is it taking so long to get rid? The building could have been sold off for renovational redevelopment. Offices, residential flats etc. That would have been fast and more profitable than demolition.
    I know Tanner says demolition is fast and cheap from the politicians perspective, but considering the localised damage and low casualties noted in Skyfall it doesn't really hold water to me. The damage from the blast was not enough to write off the whole structure. The new tower is far more vulnerable too.

4) White's room in the L'Americain. Did he have part ownership of the place? It would explain how he could conceal a secret room there. (The scene with Mr Christensen and this room's contents are the basis of my coup d'etat theory.)

5) How much time has passed at the end of the film? Bond goes off in "that car." Most of its components are hand made. Q Branch would have been at it for months, considering its earlier appearance, or lack of same. Added to that, I though Skyfall implied it was Bond's own vehicle? "The trouble with company cars, they have trackers." If it's not, why was it in his lock up?
    This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?
  • MilleniumForceMilleniumForce LondonPosts: 1,214MI6 Agent
    Did Blofeld want Bond to be bought alive to his lair? If so, why did Hinx try to kill him on the train?
    1.LTK 2.AVTAK 3.OP 4.FYEO 5.TND 6.LALD 7.GE 8.GF 9.TSWLM 10.SPECTRE 11.SF 12.MR 13.YOLT 14.TLD 15.CR (06) 16.TMWTGG 17.TB 18.FRWL 19.TWINE 20.OHMSS 21.DAF 22.DAD 23.QoS 24.NSNA 25.DN 26.CR (67)
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    Because that would be a terrible fight if he didn't.

Might as well ask why Bond just didn't shoot Blofeld in the meeting. It's a film, don't over analyse these things.
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
    Asp9mm wrote:

Might as well ask why Bond just didn't shoot Blofeld in the meeting. It's a film, don't over analyse these things.

But that's a case of just letting a character live. Blofeld sent Hinx, but he clearly didn't want Bond killed, so he was sent for no reason.
    1.LTK 2.AVTAK 3.OP 4.FYEO 5.TND 6.LALD 7.GE 8.GF 9.TSWLM 10.SPECTRE 11.SF 12.MR 13.YOLT 14.TLD 15.CR (06) 16.TMWTGG 17.TB 18.FRWL 19.TWINE 20.OHMSS 21.DAF 22.DAD 23.QoS 24.NSNA 25.DN 26.CR (67)
    Asp9mm wrote:

But that's a case of just letting a character live. Blofeld sent Hinx, but he clearly didn't want Bond killed, so he was sent for no reason.

Do we know Hinx was supposed to kill Bond? He may have been fighting to incapacitate him. The impression I got from the Austria chase is Hinx was after Dr Swann?
  • TennysonTennyson A View to a KillPosts: 606MI6 Agent
    Quick question for those who have seen it - that phrase used on the original trailer "but yet you never saw me" - was that C or Obenhuser/Blofield?
    Oberhauser / Blofeld.
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    Asp9mm wrote:

How do you know that. You're just assuming here. How do you know what Hinx was sent to do or his actual intentions regarding his orders here? Or if he was even sent or was acting upon orders.
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • A7ceA7ce Birmingham, EnglandPosts: 655MI6 Agent
    So JB has his head drilled twice yet and minutes later manages to shoot guards with pin point accuracy and fly a helicopter - when in reality he should have his head between his legs and saying that $$^^*& hurts !
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,274MI6 Agent
    Well, I think it is reasonable to assume Hinx was trying to kill Bond. Like Jaws, Tee Hee and Red Grant before him. And the idea was it was at the big villain's request. Only seen it once, wasn't that the charge he was tasked with at the Rome meeting?

Bond would hardly stick around to find out if Hinx wanted to kill him or just get him to come along nicely.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,236MI6 Agent
    Here's a question - why isn't SPECTRE a 15 rating?

LTK was a 15, and IMO, SP is even more violent.

The drilling torture scene, and Hinx crushing that guy's eyeballs, are IMO more violent than anything from LTK.

Also Mr White's death deserves a mention.

I know that desensitization is a factor, but c'mon, SP is clearly way more violent than DC's first three.
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby
    edited October 2015
    I agree that SP has more violence than SF, but it doesn't compare to CR-06 or QoS.

The stairwell fight in CR-06 and Slate's death in QoS are both more gruesome because there is no cut away. We witness Bond completing those murders. The torture scene in CR-06 is more brutal too.
    In Spectre the violence has a higher imply factor.

LTK has the aftermath of Rape and murder, implied torture, actual torture several times, and a cranial explosion. It is in a league of it's own. SP almost seems clinically tame by comparison! Eye socket crushing a partial exception, due to the horribly good sound effects.

I forgot one...

6) Did the DB10 have a wow-wee moment cut from the film? Considering the amount of fuss about the car and what made it special, I found it somewhat underwhelming and anti climatic. - Never thought I would ever say that about an Aston Martin!
    I forgot one...

6) Did the DB10 have a wow-wee moment cut from the film? Considering the amount of fuss about the car and what made it special, I found it somewhat underwhelming and anti climatic. - Never thought I would ever say that about an Aston Martin!

I think that may have just been down to the car chase. The chase was a bit underwhelming IMO, mainly because it spent a lot of time with the aston Martin stuck behind the fiat 500!
  • AngusrRossAngusrRoss ScotlandPosts: 121MI6 Agent
    How does Mr White get into and out of his secret room? I presume he doesn't replaster the wall every time he's finished using it.