Bond - Referred to as... (SPOILERS)

The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,129MI6 Agent
..An Assassin?

Hinx is an Assassin.

Perhaps I'm just being too romantic, but personally I prefer and have always known 007 as a Spy or a Secret Agent (okay, the latter is a bit childish).

Is it just me or was the 'job title' Assassin overused in SP and did anyone feel just a little uncomfortable (in a literary sense) with the term? Yes it is true to a certain extent and I appreciate its inclusion for the context of this particular story but technically that is only one part of his job. As Mallory himself says; not only is having a 00 number a licence to kill, it is also a licence NOT to kill.

Have they played up to the huge popularity of Assassins Creed and Jason Bourne being an Assassin? To portray a harder, more brutal, grittier edge? In today's world does Assassin sell better than Spy?

For me Bond isn't just a blunt instrument with the sole purpose of tracking down a target and eliminating them. Perhaps I'm just getting old.. :#
"Any of the opposition around..?"

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I agree Bond may be a blunt instrument, but as M states to Denbigh, knowing when to kill and
    when not to kill, is where the human element comes in. As Bond did in TLD by chosing not to
    kill ( The sniper) . A simple assassin would just kill without thinking.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    Bond has long been called an assassin. Octopussy calls Bond a "paid assassin" in OP.
    I agree Bond may be a blunt instrument, but as M states to Denbigh, knowing when to kill and
    when not to kill, is where the human element comes in. As Bond did in TLD by chosing not to
    kill ( The sniper) . A simple assassin would just kill without thinking.

But in TLD, M actually wanted to be a simple assassin and kill both the sniper and Pushkin. Bond always shows that he's better than a simple assassin, but that has long been his job even since TMWTGG when his assignment was to kill Scaramanga. In SF, Bond has even become more of an assassin than a spy when people talk about intelligence being gathered by computer. Bond is even more of an assassin these days because "every now and then a trigger has to be pulled." I would like Bond to be called a spy and not an assassin, but Bond has to stay relevant. Bond just has to be an assassin with a little something extra.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • The_CommanderThe_Commander EnglandPosts: 245MI6 Agent
    Strictly speaking in SIS-speak, Bond is an 'Intelligence Officer'. A bit boring, but the correct terminology none the less.
    1:Sf, 2:NTTD, 3:TSWLM, 4:CR, 5:OHMSS
  • Smithers500Smithers500 Spectre IslandPosts: 1,341MI6 Agent
    I didn't really pay attention and could be wrong, but didn't Swann refer to Bond as an assassin as that's pretty much how he introduced himself to her at the clinic?
    Japanese proverb say, "Bird never make nest in bare tree".
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    Strictly speaking in SIS-speak, Bond is an 'Intelligence Officer'. A bit boring, but the correct terminology none the less.

So basically a more formal term for "spy".
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • I never missI never miss EnglandPosts: 47MI6 Agent
    I remember Octopussy referring to Rog as an assassin back in that film. I think it's a description that periodically turns up.
    James Bond Radio podcast often mention how they like Bond's 'sneaky stuff' as seen around Goldfinger's factory. It'd be nice to see a return to some of this in the next few years.
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    What do you think a 'licence to kill' is for. Assassination is part of the OO Sections remit.
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............