Bond's moral dilemma (SPOILERS)

Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,270MI6 Agent
edited November 2015 in SPECTRE - Bond 24 (2015)
A recent news story in The Times shed light on Sony's script revisions for Spectre. It talked about how Irma Bunt made an appearance as the villain's lesbian henchwoman, and made a pass at Ms Swann. It also talked about the finale, and to the paper's credit it avoided being specific to avoid spoilers, but referred to a moral dilemma/decision that Bond makes at the end of the movie. The paper reported that thanks to Sony, the Bond ended up making the opposite moral decision as that in the original script.

But what was that moral dilemma? ?:)

1) Bond is pleased to be presented with his restored, classic Aston Martin DB5 for the final scene.

In the original script, he replies: "You don't think I'm going off in an old rust bucket, do you? You won't catch me going off with an old banger. Give me a shiny new model to take a ride in!"

2) In the original script, Monica Belluci turns up for the final scene. Sam Mendes says 'Hey, her agent got her more screen time! So how about you and her share a plate of spaghetti?"

Bond replies, "You don't think I'm going off with an old lust bucket, do you? I'm not going off with an old banger. Give me a shiny new model to take a ride in!" The scene was rewritten for Léa Seydoux.

3) Bond has his nemesis at his mercy on Westminster Bridge. Blofeld tries to goad him into shooting him, waggling his eyes like one of the slags in Muriel's Wedding when she wants to start a fight. Bond cocks his gun, then reflects.

"You know what? That old man Oberhauser really was a pain. I can kinda see why you got rid of him. He'd have spent the whole of my 20s picking me on my behaviour, telling me off for chasing girls...
"Westminster Bridge... Why, St Stephen's Tavern is but a stone's throw away! How about we get in a couple of bevvies?"
Blofeld, tentatively: "A traditional pub with craft ales? And I have always wanted to try British fish and chips..."
The camera pans back, as the two of them walk away in the London fog.
Bond: "Ernst, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship..."

I am undecided, what do you think?
"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

Comments