Things you expected during your first viewing that didn't happen...

13»

Comments

• Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    * and here's the big one: Have SPECTRE actually win the battle, but not the war! The universe of James Bond is thrust into a NWO of surveilance for the time being. It would've given so much more emotional weight to the story! For the villains to actually win for once!

The villains completely win in CR and SF. It was about time for Bond to win a battle. Bond wins in QOS, but it doesn't feel like he wins because he's still depressed at the end and there's a lot more to be done. Craig's Bond has been such a loser until now, and I got so bored of Bond losing all the time. He lost his battles before, but now has finally won the war.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • canoe2canoe2 Posts: 2,007MI6 Agent
    edited November 2015
    I'm not completely sure about what I was expecting, but I do miss Bond the trusted professional 00 agent just being sent on a mission by M and that being the focus of the adventure. I think the last time that happened was TND, and maybe I thought this would be Craig's turn.
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    I was expecting the motorbikes with machine guns, following a leaked (?) photo earlier thus year which appeared to show that...

Shatterfang, Re Mathis, wasn't it disproved in QOS that he was Le Chiffre's ally? So why would he show on the wall as a dead Quantum/SPECTRE agent?
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,558Chief of Staff
    Matt S wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Yes M, as I said, very anticlimactic. (Looks confused.)

I don't think Bond could have turned the car around to drive back past him...

You're talking about it like the dead end was the only option the writers had.

I think it probably was...they had enough going on with re-writing the third act :o

It ended that scene nicely and moved things on...
    YNWA 97
  • blame_thatcherblame_thatcher Posts: 199MI6 Agent
    Despite working on the film, I still wanted Hinx to appear for a final showdown with Bond at the end.
    I was expecting the motorbikes with machine guns, following a leaked (?) photo earlier thus year which appeared to show that...

Shatterfang, Re Mathis, wasn't it disproved in QOS that he was Le Chiffre's ally? So why would he show on the wall as a dead Quantum/SPECTRE agent?

It was indeed disproved that he was was an ally of Le Chiffre and a Quantum agent, thus it proved that he was a genuine MI6 agent. So it would have been appropriate for him to have been on the remembrance wall at MI6.
  • ShatterfangShatterfang Posts: 538MI6 Agent
    Matt S wrote:
    * and here's the big one: Have SPECTRE actually win the battle, but not the war! The universe of James Bond is thrust into a NWO of surveilance for the time being. It would've given so much more emotional weight to the story! For the villains to actually win for once!

The villains completely win in CR and SF. It was about time for Bond to win a battle. Bond wins in QOS, but it doesn't feel like he wins because he's still depressed at the end and there's a lot more to be done. Craig's Bond has been such a loser until now, and I got so bored of Bond losing all the time. He lost his battles before, but now has finally won the war.

Well yeah they got the money and Silva succeded in M dying but i wouldn't say those were legitimate world dominating victories like Spectre could've and should've been ... Like in the Thunderball novel, didn't spectre win in that one
  • ShatterfangShatterfang Posts: 538MI6 Agent
    The motorbike with machine guns was just a fun little thing in Q's lab that did nothing. One of those things like throughout the series in the background where bond is like "Look at all the cool stuff i don't get to use"
    Matt S wrote:

Well yeah they got the money and Silva succeded in M dying but i wouldn't say those were legitimate world dominating victories like Spectre could've and should've been ... Like in the Thunderball novel, didn't spectre win in that one

A world-dominating victory would mean that SPECTRE won both the battle and the war. After Bond lost so many battles, the movies weren't fun anymore. The bombs are recovered in the Thunderball novel. SPECTRE never won the war in Fleming's novels. Why do you want Bond to keep on losing?
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    Matt S wrote:

It was indeed disproved that he was was an ally of Le Chiffre and a Quantum agent, thus it proved that he was a genuine MI6 agent. So it would have been appropriate for him to have been on the remembrance wall at MI6.
    But not on Blofeld's wall of dead Quantum/SPECTRE agents...
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
  • Thunderbird 2Thunderbird 2 East of Cardiff, Wales.Posts: 2,777MI6 Agent
    edited November 2015
    It could also be argued that there should be a spot on the Memorial wall where "Tierro Rodreguez" is listed. Assuming it was never struck off as M-Manf said it would be. The trouble with retconning, it often creates as many quirks as it tries to paper over!

Incidentally, why was the memorial wall still there, besides the theatrics? Aren't such remembrance artifacts carefully removed and safely relocated before a building gets flattened?

I also noted on second viewing a funny moment in the "Deceased Gallery" edit. We see photos if Le Chiffre, Vesper, White, M-Manf and Silva. Greene is (possibly as a joke?) missed out! :D

I also believe Mathias should have been included, esp as M-Manf was, assuming he was but edited out for time.
    This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?
    Matt S wrote:

What wall was this? I only remember the MI6 remembrance wall.
  • bailorgbailorg Posts: 124MI6 Agent
    I wasn't expecting so many winks and nods to classic SPECTRE/Blofeld.

Only had one viewing so far, and I really have no idea where I'm going to put SP in my rankings.
    (1) TLD (2) FRWL (3) LTK (4) CR (5) QoS (6) FYEO (7)OHMSS (8) DN (9) GF (10) TSWLM (11) TND (12) GE (13) SF (14) LALD (15) TWINE (16) AVTAK (17) DAF (18) OP (19) TMWTGG (20) DAD (21) MR (22) YOLT (23) TB
  • Thunderbird 2Thunderbird 2 East of Cardiff, Wales.Posts: 2,777MI6 Agent
    Matt S wrote:
    Matt S wrote:

What wall was this? I only remember the MI6 remembrance wall.

To clarify: The remebrance Wall - The engraved wall of fallen MI6 personnell Bond passes when he enters the derelict MI6 building with his name sprayed in it.

Blofelds Wall Of Dead or Perhaps "Photo Gallery Of Dead Ends" - The black and white pictures Blofeld put up in the old shower blocks of all the players since CR-06. We see Le Chiffre, Vesper, White, M-Manf and Silva. It is quite likely it includes Greene and maybe Mathis too who we don't see, but I am guessing there.
    I refuse to accept that this proves they were all Spectre. There is no proof Le Chiffre or Silva were, it is confirmed in QoS that Vesper was coerced by Quantum and we know M-Manf certainly wasn't!
    This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,792MI6 Agent
    chrisisall wrote:
    eric7064 wrote:
    I thought for a moment she'd turn out bad.
    See, THIS is why I was almost non-existent on this forum for a few months leading up to SPECTRE's release... I got totally surprised by the whole movie! I watched no trailers, read no Sony leak discussions...
    The definition of joy.

Your willpower I admire, Young jedi

200.gif
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 SwitzerlandPosts: 870MI6 Agent
    I expected the movie to be boring as Skyfall, respectively to be Skyfall Part 2.

But it didn't happen.

What happened is I haven't felt that excited for any movie in 10 years.

And now Spectre is my No 1 Bond movie, bloody hell :))

Those were my most positive movie experiences of the last 20 years.
    2005 Batman Begins
    2004 Shaun Of The Dead
    2000 Pitch Black
    1996 Star Trek First Contact
    1995 GoldenEye
    Dalton Rulez™
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    I expected the movie to be boring as Skyfall, respectively to be Skyfall Part 2.

But it didn't happen.

2005 Batman Begins
    2004 Shaun Of The Dead
    2000 Pitch Black
    1995 GoldenEye
    2005- Serenity. You left that one out, bro. :))
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 SwitzerlandPosts: 870MI6 Agent
    chrisisall wrote:

But it didn't happen.

2005 Batman Begins
    2004 Shaun Of The Dead
    2000 Pitch Black
    1995 GoldenEye
    2005- Serenity. You left that one out, bro. :))

Firefly and Serenity are of course in my Top 10 best ever TV Shows. But I didn't see Serenity at the cinema sadly :)
    Dalton Rulez™
  • UnderwaterBattle007UnderwaterBattle007 Posts: 284MI6 Agent
    As I posted in another thread, I thought the reworking of the OHMSS theme (as played in some of the trailers) would feature and it didn't which I felt let down by.

In fact the whole musical score was underwhealming to be honest and in my opinion the worst aspect of the film as a whole.

I am one who really enjoyed the film, plot holes and all.
    FRWl, CR, OHMSS, TSWLM, SF, GF, TLD, LTK, TND, FYEO, OP,TWINE, GE, LALD, TB, SPECTRE, DN, YOLT, TMWTGG, QOS, MR, DAF, DAD, AVTAK, NTTD.

"Do you expect me to talk? "No Mister Bond I expect you to die"