Budget Bond Collectors Resource

Comments

• DB6DB6 EnglandPosts: 1,196MI6 Agent
    edited November 2021

Agreed - Dan's stuff is really great and I'm both a big fan and very thankful that he produces items that would be otherwise unavailable for many of us. I tried to get a tailor to make me a jacket based on the BC one and it was an utter disaster so I totally respect the results that he does get.

I imagine he has to invest significantly to produce a run of any of these items and I hate the idea of him stopping these projects so I made the decision to go with the Morocco jacket and to dye it rather than wait for any subsequent versions. Perhaps that's silly of me but it feels like the V1 dyed will be more than good enough.

Thanks also to you John @canoe2 - I really appreciate all you do for us with your site; IMO one of the absolute best resources for Bond style fans.

My name has changed! I’m no longer dufus......now I’m DB6
  • canoe2canoe2 Posts: 2,007MI6 Agent

Thanks, I really appreciate the feedback! 🍸️

The thing that made this review challenging is the fact that we all know what a perfectionist Daniel is (as you said). So it was tough to separate the passion and committment I know he had for this project from the final product. And, as I said in the review, he got a lot right with it, especially for the price. But then we run into the issue of the color and the question I asked: can I really 100% recommend a nearly $200 jacket that you have to dye?

If anything, it reminds of his Mr. White jacket, when the color of the first version just didn't hit the mark. But by V2 he'd nailed it. I know Daniel tends more towards making his pieces "real life accurate". But this one of those cases where I think he would have been better off sticking with a "screen accurate" khaki-ish brown color.

Cheers!

John

• JacobJacob DenmarkPosts: 294MI6 Agent
    edited November 2021

Thank you for the review. Does anyone know of an EU seller of Rit Dye, or is that an exclusively American product? Would be easier copying the dying process in the review than starting to experiment with other dyes myself.

• JacobJacob DenmarkPosts: 294MI6 Agent

Yes, but only with US sellers as far as I can tell.

I just ordered one in the UK with next day delivery (sold by Amazon). Perhaps not the same for mainland Europe?

• NikoNiko Posts: 73MI6 Agent

I've purchased RIT Dye from Ebay sellers (in the UK).

• NikoNiko Posts: 73MI6 Agent

An excellent article @canoe2.

I’d like to voice my gratitude to the painstaking work Dan has done over the years the results of which have been enjoyed by a lot of us on this forum and l eagerly look forward to any upcoming projects he may choose to undertake.

If anyone is looking for a great alternative to the dinner suit in Skyfall (and it passes for the one in NTTD too) I can highly recommend the Charles Tyrwhitt Midnight Blue Shawl Collar dinner suit. Slim fit, 100% wool, nice ribbed silk lapels and pocket jets, working button cuffs - a really deep midnight blue too (they lightened all the pics in Skyfall so it looked way more blue) so it's a classic colour/look. In my opinion a great buy at £300 for the suit.

• DanBond11DanBond11 Posts: 64MI6 Agent

I’ve got a $50 Amazon gift card anything worth buying off Amazon?

Bond alternatives or watches?

Happy Saturday, gang! New post on Paul Newman style sunglasses!

Looking for a new pair myself for skiing this winter, so I thought I'd share my finds 😁

@DanBond11 I've found Amazon hasn't been that great for watches over the last couple of years. Hard to find anything that isn't a cheap Asian piece unless you want to go with Seiko, Citizen or Casio. I think the prices and selection is better at Jomashop now. But there are still some deals to be found on Amazon if you're willing to hunt around. Still a good variety of sunglasses though! And you can order Magnoli repros from Amazon as well.

Cheers!

John

• Bottled_in_BondBottled_in_Bond Posts: 19MI6 Agent

For those of you looking for a reasonably priced alternative to the Sunspel and OB tee shirts I have been pleased with the Amazon premium brand Buttoned Down line. They are in the US alternative to Sea Island Cotton: Supima cotton with a small amount of Spandex. The fit is trim and they are available in the colors we want in both crew and V-necks.

They often go on sale so put them in your wish list and watch for price reductions.

@Bottled_in_Bond thanks, I'll check them out!

I've reworked the old post on the SPECTRE Solden jacket with all new alternatives. I honestly forgot how much I like that jacket and how practical it is!

Cheers everyone!

John

Rushing this morning, but a new post is up: alternatives for Bond's OHMSS brown plaid chore coat:

The Best Option is a good one and not crazy expensive (but not exactly budget).

Cheers everyone!

John

• The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,119MI6 Agent

Nice one John. I like plaid jackets and own a couple. Would love to have the actual piece #grail!

"Any of the opposition around..?"
  • Bond44Bond44 Vauxhall CrossPosts: 1,581MI6 Agent

Not quite budget but if you are looking for a pair of CR shoes these are the closest I have seen in a long time - had to do a double-take to be sure.

Cheers 😎

My name is Bond, Basildon Bond - I have letters after my name!

Nice find @Bond44 👍️

• Mattia De VartiMattia De Varti ItalyPosts: 488MI6 Agent

Always found some good advice here, so I'll try. Barbour Duke jacket, how's the fit? True to size, size up/down?

In a Beacon jacket I have I'm size S for reference

I don't own the Duke but own the Ariel and Beacon, both in a Small. I would stick with your Barbour known size and go Small in the first instance.

Thanks for the tip. So you have all in the same size?

Cause I own a Beacon Munro in S and it's a good fit, little large in some points

Morning!

The Black Friday sales roundup is now live!

Lots of help from you fine gentlemen here, so I tried to give credit where it was due. If I missed a sale or deal, let me know and I'll add it over the next couple of days with credit to you for the find.

Cheers!

John

Yes. Both my Beacon and Ariel jackets are both Small. Barbour size Small in jackets, jumpers, shirts just seems to be a good fit for me. As far as I know the Duke will fit true to size. You can always buy a Small and a Medium and just return the one you don't want. Good luck with it.👍️

Happy Friday! I've updated the Sales post with more deals that I've found:

Credit to @kadd for mentioning the Selfridges sale! I'll keep adding stuff as I find it or it's shared with me.

Cheers!

John

Thanks for the explanation. Unfortunately the last size available, heavily discounted, was sold before I could proceed to checkout.

Hope to find something else!

Looks like Charles Tyrwhitt has 20% off - use BLKFRIDAY code. Not sure if it includes the shawl collar dinner suit.

Thanks, I'll check it out! I just did another round of updates to the post. A good sale going on at Thread with lots of OB, some Tom Ford, Globe Trotter, Kingsman stuff, Scotch and Soda. And great prices on various alternatives as well!

• WinstonoBoogieWinstonoBoogie Posts: 7MI6 Agent

Yes , the black friday 20% code works on the Charles Tyrwhitt midnight blue tux - but the website gives a warning message that it will ship April 2022 !

No good for Christmas... but the black version seems to actually be in stock

• JB1106340JB1106340 Posts: 434MI6 Agent

If anyone is looking to make some purchases from Charles Tyrwhitt I can get you 25% off. Just send a PM over and I'll sort you out.

• JTullock23JTullock23 ArizonaPosts: 552MI6 Agent

I have the Ray-Ban Sunglasses with my prescription added in them. Got the from Wink Optics in California. Love them! They are exceptionally lightweight.

"History isn't kind to men who play God." - DC "I gave him the limp." - PB "Better make that two." - TD

"Keeping British end up, sir." - RM "This never happened to the other fellow." - JL "I must be dreaming." SC

Morning all! Thanks to those that shared the info on Charles Tyrwhitt. And @JTullock23 that's great feedback about the Ray-Bans.

I've updated the post on McQueen's waxed motorcycle jacket (both the Barbour and Belstaff):

Some great options this year. But I also spoke with Michael Stewart Menswear. I know I've mentioning them a lot, but I really like the team there and they honestly have some of the best prices on key Barbour and Belstaff pieces I've seen. They're going to take an additional 5% off the already reduced sale price of the Barbour International, the Barbour International Union Jack, the Barbour Duke and the Belstaff Trialmaster when you use the code ICONIC at check out. That brings the International down to $189.50 (which is about $80 cheaper than I could find it anywhere else) and Trialmaster down to $426.50, which is a super competitive price. For those of us in the U.S., those prices are with VAT already removed and we do have to pay shipping. But the prices are still really low, especially on the Barbours. Folks in the UK get free shipping.

Cheers all and enjoy your Sunday!

John